A Nifty Quickie Workout for Halloween!

Wednesday usually means “Ahhhhh” for me. After 4 straight days of running – usually totaling about 27+ miles – a gym workout is pretty welcome. Believe me, I am all about my running time especially with this weather and not having to wake up as early to beat the heat. I also take Wednesdays (and Fridays when I rest in general) to sleep in and snuggle – snuggle time is very important for my mental stability.
Wednesdays also mean time for strength training!
I’ve always been a weights girl. Even when I first started frequenting the gym, I enjoyed the ability to feel strong and empowered from a weightlifting workout.
When I was younger, like most girls who were working through body issues and self-awareness, I’d always thought that weightlifting wasn’t for girls. As magazines and media started to justify the positive gains a woman could get from weight lifting and strength training, I soon changed my tune.
Each week I try to make sure I do a mixture of upper and lower body exercises to increase my strength and aid fat burning. While I am half marathon training, I don’t do as many days as I normally would. Once race season is over (ever over?) I plan to go back to at least 3 days a week. After a Monday or Tuesday moderate run I also take my lunch break to get in a strength workout and do the same on Wednesday with opposing exercises.
This is my go-to Nifty Quickie workout. I admit that I got many of the workout ideas from my Insanity workout and other exercises I’ve either found online or through blogger friends of mine. It’s one that I do weekly and the only variations I may change would be the number per set (if I’m feeling froggy I add on more.) As long as I am moving along at a quick pace and sweating, I’m hitting my goal! The gym, itself, can also come with distrations too that I try to avoid.
Tips for a good, quick, strength workout at the gym:
  • Try to avoid too much conversation – the gym isn’t for catching up, it’s for doing work! I usually have on my iPod so it’s easy to not see waves here and there 😉
  • Create a playlist that gets you moving – those who know me know I LOVE David Guetta
  • Keep it moving – go from one movement to the next quickly to keep the circuit going
  • Make sure to warm up beforehand – so that you’re more fluid between the rest of the workout and are geared up!
  • Plan ahead – know what you plan to do for your workout before heading out into the gym
And I can’t forget that it’s Halloween!
Jaeden is like my child. Therefore, he gets to dress up, he IS my child afterall….77 year old child.

Mom decided to use her craft skills and make a costume at el casa
Hey I worked with what I had 😉
Happy Halloween! Did you dress up??

What ways do you stay focused during your workout?

October 31, 2012, 12:53 pm

Love the look of your nifty workout!!!!! Have a fab Halloween day!!!!! J looks way too cute for description!!!! Xo

October 31, 2012, 2:24 pm

Thanks Jenna! You too! xo

October 31, 2012, 12:59 pm

Pinning this workout for sure! I never know what to do when I go to the gym…I need a plan for sure. Happy Halloween! I am dressing up with my boys tonight to go trick or treating…I normally don’t do that so it will be fun!

October 31, 2012, 2:25 pm

I’m only doing it for work…I instagrammed it lol . Free costume anyone?

October 31, 2012, 1:06 pm

You should add in some assisted pull-ups in there. Or negative pull-ups. I just want to share that because today I am just about in tears from my workout on Monday; my armpit muscles and triceps are crying, too. Owwwww. 😛
    So glad you’re adding in more weight training, while here I am, adding in more running! ahhh!! 😉

October 31, 2012, 2:28 pm

See, when you run you won’t want things crying! 😉 keep truckin girl!

October 31, 2012, 1:54 pm

Looks like a great workout! Happy Halloween 🙂

October 31, 2012, 2:29 pm

Thanks Happy Halloween to you too!

October 31, 2012, 3:00 pm

Cute costume!

I like to keep the chit chat to a minimum DURING my training so I can keep my focus 🙂

October 31, 2012, 4:43 pm

and if I want to be a beast like you, I have to continue to ignore others! 😉

October 31, 2012, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the gym tips! I’m not a strength training fan (but know I need it), so I need all the help I can get!

I love your dog’s costume! Yours is great, too! I love creative costumes.

I didn’t dress up today, but I wore three costumes this year: dark ballerina, Hamburglar and Mr. Potato Head.

October 31, 2012, 10:03 pm

No problem, and you can go as hard or easy as you’d like!

October 31, 2012, 5:49 pm

cute costumes!!!!! 🙂 love it!

October 31, 2012, 6:07 pm

Jaeden looks very cute. No costume for me but a long run later today. I love your workout, and maybe would add a plank and wall sit for a minute or two.

October 31, 2012, 10:05 pm

Thanks! I definitely change it up, depending on my mood 😉

November 1, 2012, 12:14 am

my dog has that same costume! (: I love it! That workout looks great too! I did hollow rocks once.. they were definitely a tough workout for the abs!

November 1, 2012, 1:03 pm

Such a cute picture of Jaeden! I also love strength training, Kat. Growing up, I was luckily because I started lifting early (around 7th grade) for basketball. At first, I was worried about “getting big” and gaining too much muscle, but my coaches were pros at approaching strength training from a sport-specific (and female-specific) standpoint. The only time I really “bulked up” was for bball in college, which I pretty much had to do since I was an extremely undersized forward. (I’m 5’10”, and I would guard girls who were 6’2 or taller.) Since I couldn’t be as tall, I had to be stronger.

November 1, 2012, 2:23 pm

It’s so empowering to be strong! 😉

November 2, 2012, 12:31 am

Cutest football player ever!
    I was a black eyed pea on year too:)