Anyone up for a Pop Quiz?!

I figured I’d take some questions from a few of these I’ve seen going around from Mary, Mindy & Gina, so here ya go! 😉

1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?

Clif’s Shot Bloks black cherry – caffeinated; they’re the one thing that I can take pre-run and during runs that doesn’t upset the tum tum

2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?
I am SO SUPER PSYCHED to run half marathons starting in November with my first, the Women’s Half, but I did enjoy 5ks back in the day. Funny how now I tend to not ‘warm up’ until I’ve even hit the 5k distance.

3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other?

Skorts are by far my favorite – they have shorts underneath while having a skirt that covers up the riding up of the shorts, which for me is inevidable
I love my C9 skorts from Target!

4. Running Temperatures: HEAT or COLD?

C-O-L-D! Please! Living in Florida, I know that training in the summer has been helpful for when (and if) it gets cold, but my asthma does much better in cooler temps than the hot humidity.

5. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics or Other?

BROOKS! I’ve tried all kinds and Asics and Saucony are a bit too narrow for me. Unless there are newer styles I can try, I am more apt to stick with my Pure Cadence that fit me well. Since having meat feet at Gasparilla, I stick with what works
I have a problem huh

6. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?

I honestly haven’t mastered the ‘eating before a run’ meal. I take 2 shot bloks pre run…take care of business (just saying, it’s the truth y’all 😉 and then take one every 3-4 miles. If I marathon train next year I’ll probably try toast with pb and a banana or something simple like that.
7. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or other?
I am running now on Sat-Tues, Thurs with circuit training on Mon (that’s a two-a-day) and Weds. I am only off one day a week on Fridays unless it’s a special situation
8. Music: Have to have it or go without it?
I love running with others, I like to laugh and catch up and monitor my breathing by talking. When I’m solo (if it’s 4 miles or under) I do no music – if it’s a longer solo run I use music to keep me occupied
9. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or other?
Running has taught me that I can do way more than I give myself credit for – so I keep on keepin’ on. I have also met some of the most awesome, motivating people while running. So, why stop?
10. Morning, midday or evening runner? Morning! I am better on a semi empty stomach and before I get my day started – it gets my day started on the right foot too!
11. I won’t run outside when its... Super hot and humid – I couldn’t breathe
12. Worst injury & how I got over it.  I’ve sprained my ankle a couple of times – loose ankles I tell ya. I make sure to be aware of that a lot more now when turning, etc. I’ve had to rest it and use the RICE method to slowly get back into the game.
13. I felt most like a bada** mother runner when…I finished my longest race, a 15k, and then took off my shoes and had meaty, blood blisters all over both feet. One of my toenails fell off too the next day – I felt super bada**!
14. Potential running goals for 2013.  A full mary?!! J

Feel free to answer one or a few of these questions & below in comments!!

October 10, 2012, 6:37 pm

Love those hot pink runners!

October 10, 2012, 8:44 pm

aren’t they the cutest!

October 10, 2012, 6:58 pm

Love your pink shoes. Those are so fun. And I’m so excited that you just uttered the words “full mary”. Now tell me your plans and which one and all the details I know you’re scheming in your head. Fun survey. I think I’m lucky that I can pretty much take whatever fuel and it works with me for the most part. That was the first time I had taken those honey stingers at that race and they worked with me. I will use GU and shot blocks too. I do like those gummys. They’re easier to take in small amounts than the GU. I’m so excited for your half marathon. I can’t wait for you to get there and rock it! I feel like you’ve been training since I’ve known you/your blog.

October 10, 2012, 8:45 pm

thank you! lol i have been training a while huh…once i do one i won’t be so mental 😉 i am such a sucker for pink shoes/clothes!

October 10, 2012, 7:05 pm

YES on a full mary! You can do it!

(I may steal this quiz as well. Tanks toots!)

October 10, 2012, 8:46 pm

yes! steal away! 😉

October 10, 2012, 7:09 pm

Great quiz chicka! You can deff do a full marathon!

October 10, 2012, 8:46 pm

thanks! Im excited!

October 10, 2012, 10:39 pm

this make me miss running! I used to run to music all the time – my times were so much faster to a beat!

October 10, 2012, 11:27 pm

Aw running misses u!

October 10, 2012, 10:55 pm

I love hearing everyone’s answers to these! I’m a Brooks girl like you, and I have tummy issues too. Secret – before any run more than about 10km I pop an immodium. There’s TMI for you!

Banana seems to be nice and gentle – let us know if that works for you.

October 10, 2012, 11:27 pm

That’s a smart idea, Imodium! I’ll try banana when I do longer runs 🙂

October 10, 2012, 11:43 pm

Love, love, LOVE the Brooks Pure Cadence!! I tried the exact same hot pink pair on the last time I went shoe shopping and almost walked out of the store with them until the owner mentioned that because of marathon training I’d burn through them in a month. I. was. crushed. Loved reading all your answers and I’m totally psyched about your first 1/2 mary! It will be epic!

October 11, 2012, 2:04 am

yea i might have to switch when marathon training :-/ i love themmmmm! i cant wait to log longer races G!

October 11, 2012, 1:02 am

I love 5k’s I haven’t really ran anything longer though… haha they are the right distance for me still hard but not feeling like I have been running forever!
    itsaharleyyylife.com

October 11, 2012, 4:51 pm

Ok I’ll Bite:
    1-Fuel: Honey Stinger Gels (Taste’s like Jello Pudding)
    2-Race Length: Ironman is my longest..contemplating 50 miler
    3-Bottoms: I dont like the skorts, they get in the way of my stride and they don’t show off your butt
    4-Running temperatures: Cooler is better but last year’s St.Pete Half at 37 was too cold. 50 to low 70s is perfect.
    5-Shoes: I am with you I love my Brooks Pure Flow and Cadence, but I like my Newtons too.
    6-Pre-Race Meal: It has been oatmeal but I recently tried Eggs and a sweet potato and found my energy lasted longer.
    7-Rest days: 2x but those are the days I swim
    8-Music: Depends. I am like you love to run with people, but when I am by myself I have it, sometimes I don’t use it, but I usually have it.
    9-Reason for running: I got into for fitness, but now I just really enjoy it.
    10-Morning Runner Baby!! Of course I coach running at night so I run a couple of nights a week as well.
    11-I won’t run inside if it’s thundering. I am not a fan of the dreadmill.
    12-Worst Injury: L5/S1 Disc Herniation. It changed my life because I was told never to run again. Here I am 1 Ironman, 4 half-ironmans, 5 Marathons and over 30 HMs, 15Ks, 10ks, and 5ks later.
    13-Crossing the Finish line at Ironman I guess is when I felt the bada mother runner
    14-2013 Goals: I am undecided either BQ or an eleven hour Ironman.

Thanks that was fun Kat!