2013 – The Year of the Run-cation

A new year, means time to register for some races!
Registering for races is a huge way that I stay accountable – if I’ve paid to compete in something, you better betcha that I’ll be working hard on training for it! It just works to keep me focused – eyes on the prize!I am defiitely excited for a year of RUNCATIONS too! Hubs and I have talked a lot about traveling and enjoying our lives right now as D.I.N.K.s (Dual-income, no kids) before we decide on the next step of our marital journey! So, I give you:

Becoming a Half Fanatic after Disney, I’ll next be a Level 2 after my April Half. To boot, many of these races will go towards my 5 by the 5th and 13 in 2013 Race challenges! Not to mention some travel and race milestones are happening!
Holy cow, putting this list together gets me hyped!
So far, here’s what I’ve got planned (some races tentative) for 2013! >>
January 12, 2013 – Walt Disney World Half Marathon, Orlando, FL – DONE!
January 31, 2013 – Sandy Hook Memorial Half Marathon: A Mena/Shaw production & virtual race put on by 2 very good friends of mine – DONE!
February 2, 2013 – Warrior Dash 5k Obstacle Race: free entry won via Twitter’s FitFluential chat – hubs’ 2013 race debut!
February 24, 2013 – Disney World Princess Half Marathon: Kris and I will take on another half together as pretty-pretty princesses! Love Disney!
March 23, 2013 – Zooma Austin Half Marathon: a runcation in the lovely city of Austin! On the outskirts, but still 😉

April 11, 2013 – Shaw/Mena Corporate 5k, downtown Tampa, FL

April 14, 2013 – Athleta Irongirl 5k – Clearwater, FL – (Thru 2/28/2013 use the code TBBLOGGERS13 for 10% off!)

April 28, 2013 – Diva’s Half Marathon – Myrtle Beach: Girls’ runcation! – After this I’ll be a LEVEL 2 HALF FANATIC!

May 11, 2013 – Miles for Moffit 5 miler, Tampa
June 15, 2013 – Picnic Island Adventure Run: Summer race series
July 13, 2013 – Picnic Island Adventure Run: Summer race series
August 31, 2013 – Disneyland Dumbo Dare: Day 1 – Disneyland 10k: we’re goin’ goin’ back to, back to, CALI! And DISNEY!
September 1, 2013 – Day 2: Disneyland Half Marathon
October 27, 2013 – Marine Corp Marathon Washington, D.C. – my first full MARATHON! I also need to raise funds for an awesome charity (the donation link is on the top right of the blog, thanks for everyone’s support!)

November 17, 2013 – Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon – another runcation, my first trip to Vegas – MGM Grand, say what?! Thanks Brooks!!
December 7, 2013Pretty Muddy 5k (Thru 1/31/2013 use the code GIRLTIME for $20 off if you were a 2012 participant coming back again this year!)

17 races tentatively. Awesomesauce
Are you going to be running any of these races? Do you like taking runcations?
FYI: I love meeting blends!

January 22, 2013, 12:41 pm

You’re going to have quite a busy year! But I gotta agree, runcations are THE BEST! I’m in a similar situation with my boyfriend where we have double income, no kids, and a new time off policy at our work so we HAVE to take off all our PTO the same year instead of it accumulating…well if they’re going to force me to take time off, I guess I will! 😉 I’ll be running Dumbo!

January 22, 2013, 12:42 pm

Yippee! Well be there for a week so a meetup would be awesome if we all can make it happen!

January 22, 2013, 12:41 pm

Great list! Love the term “D.I.N.K”‘s too 🙂 I’ll be at the Princess Half as well as Dumbo Double Dare 🙂

January 22, 2013, 1:07 pm

Dang girl!! U got it all figured out!! Glad to be joining u for some of those!:) ive gotta get my “calendar” together too.. ive got things in mind as u know:) just have to confirm 🙂 im excited for our girls wknd!! Gonna be a fun year !

January 22, 2013, 1:10 pm

Out of all of those races, I am running MCM. I am so excited to run MCM as my FIRST marathon!!

January 22, 2013, 1:13 pm

Me too!

January 22, 2013, 2:55 pm

Wow! What a great race schedule you have, and some really nice racecations to boot! I think what I’m most excited about is that you are running the Divas Half Marathon in Myrtle Beach because I am too! I’ve heard of several bloggers who are doing this, so let’s start planning a meet up. So fun! I’ve run MCM and the Las Vegas Marathon and I think you will enjoy both events. I’d really like to run a race at Disney. I’ve only done their Tower of Terror 13K (which they don’t have anymore), so I’d love to do one of their half marathons. Good luck with your training, and make sure you take time to recover with all these races so you keep your legs fresh and avoid burn-out.

January 22, 2013, 3:19 pm

Yay!! We’re staying the whole weekend too! Yes ma’am, my coach has my races ranked also, which you’ll appreciate 😉

January 22, 2013, 2:57 pm

SO excited for my first runcation to the Disney Princess next month…I have a feeling there will be many, many more in my future! 😀

January 22, 2013, 3:41 pm

Hubby and I are DINKS too, but I think we’re going to stay that way. LOL! Nice race list! We’re East Coast, so our races are in PA, VA, and MD so far. We have done runcations before, including Princess 2011. This year I think we’re taking a normal vacation, but will take our running gear to get in a run in Ireland. 🙂 I like saying I’ve run in other countries!

January 22, 2013, 4:53 pm

Great calendar. I’m all about “run-cations”, too. I’m on my way to Morocco in a couple of days to run the Marrakesh half this Sunday. I’ve done the Disney Princess Half before, and LOVE it! Here’s a post with tips for running that race.

January 22, 2013, 5:30 pm

What’s a blend??

Your race schedule looks great! I’d love to do R&R in Vegas but being a SIWK (single income with kids) it’s just not in the budget. College educations come before mama running too far from home LOL.

But I’ll for sure see you at Pretty Muddy!

January 22, 2013, 5:41 pm

blend: Blog friend 😉 I feel ya girl…this will be something we do for just a bit until we get out wits about us 😉

January 22, 2013, 5:58 pm

Enjoy it!! I did a lot of traveling before I got married and had kids!

January 22, 2013, 5:48 pm

OMG I love the term DINK!! I am very happy to be one! I have done a lot of races in the year and a half I have been running so this year has become my year to travel for big ones and I am THRILLED!!!

January 22, 2013, 5:57 pm

Yay! Traveling makes them more awesome of course! Why not! 😉

January 22, 2013, 5:55 pm

I was just working on a post about race-cations too! Great minds think a like! My hubby and I are also enjoying being DINKs too. 🙂

I need to look at my schedule, but so far this is what I have for 2013:

2/23 Tri Cities 1/2 Marathon in Richland, WA
    4/7 SF 1/2 Marathon- Thanks Brooks!
    5/19 Windermere Marathon in Spokane, WA
    June- TBA- Maybe Helvetia 1/2 marathon in Portland, OR (it is my fav 1/2)
    6/22 Seattle Rock & Roll 1/2
    July– Nothing…YET 🙂
    8/10 SeaWheeze in Vancouver, BC
    8/16-8/17 Spokane to Sandpoint Relay
    Then perhaps a fall marathon 🙂

January 22, 2013, 6:02 pm

We’re not hooking up per that calendar Miss Tasha!! ;-p Remember fitbloggin is in your hood, check it out! I’ll be there with a ton of other awesome bloggers and fitness freaks! Ah, to be a DINK – love it 😉

January 22, 2013, 6:11 pm

I am loving these Zooma runs! I can’t wait to run the Cape location. I wish I could run the Dumbo Dare

January 22, 2013, 7:03 pm

Wow. What a year! Looks like you have a lot of fun races lines up. Ahhh, I miss my days as a DINK 🙂

January 22, 2013, 7:28 pm

Wow your calendar is loaded up girl! Fantastic! I ran MCM and loved it. So so fabulous. Enjoy!

January 22, 2013, 8:05 pm

Fun line up! I do love to travel to races and usually include at least one somewhere else. This is my first year of racing locally, so I’m guessing next year I’ll be up for runcations again!

January 22, 2013, 9:22 pm

Yea this won’t be an every year thing for sure, but would be great if it could be 😉

January 22, 2013, 8:23 pm

Your race calendar looks awesome…I will see you in February (Princess Half), April (Myrtle Beach Diva Half) and August/Sept. at Dumbo. Can’t wait for all the fun races and meetups!

January 22, 2013, 9:22 pm

Ooh I didn’t know you were doing Divas! We’re flying in Fri leaving Mon! So pool party that weekend! staying at a partner hotel too!

January 22, 2013, 11:00 pm

It is going to be an amazing year for you. I will probably be running most of those little 5k’s but I am have some more triathlons as well. I have a free entry to the Princess half, but I am not sure I am going to run it. It seems like it should stay a Princess thing. Enjoy the races, but remember to listen to your body. Better to miss a race and continue your race schedule than to miss two or more down the road. Let me know if I can help. Have fun!

January 23, 2013, 12:08 am

I definitely have a plan in place not to take each one as a race-race, so it’ll be awesome to “have fun” in many of them!

January 23, 2013, 12:31 am

Dear Kat,

Please pack me in your suitcase. I’ll pay my extra baggage fee.

Sincerely,

Moi

January 23, 2013, 1:07 am

Kat, your race calendar is making me excited! The blogoshpere seems to like ZOOMA, and you can’t go wrong with anything at Disney. 🙂

January 23, 2013, 1:10 am

Yes on both! I LOVED Disney! And Zooma will be fun and rustic 😉

January 23, 2013, 1:38 am

Wow, what a fun 2013!!! You will have a blast!! ENJOY!!

January 23, 2013, 1:52 am

Kat, you are such a rock star!! I love it. Can’t wait to read all your follow-ups from each race. You are an inspiration… I am going for 10 in 2013 myself – 3 half-marathons, one 8K, and six 5Ks!

January 23, 2013, 3:34 am

Wow. Your 2013 race calendar looks like some people’s lifelong race bucket list. This is going to be a fun year for you!

January 23, 2013, 4:48 am

wow lady! that is an amazing list of races! i can’t wait to read all about them! sarah and i are doing our first #13in2013 race this weekend, just a 5km thank god… its FREEZING here!

January 23, 2013, 6:01 am

Wow that is quite an awesome race schedule. Good luck and enjoy!

January 23, 2013, 7:48 pm

Wow! Lots of fun racing this year! And I agree – racecations are the best way to race. Love it!

January 24, 2013, 10:20 pm

Wow! What a busy schedule! Way to dream big girl

January 25, 2013, 6:51 pm

I LOVE your race schedule! It’s basically all the races I would do if I lived there. 🙂

DINKS – awesome.

January 26, 2013, 1:13 am

Looks awesome, and what a fun variety of races!!