Finally made it to the BOX

Back in December I’d purchased a Groupon to try out a Crossfit Box (Crossfit 428) close by me. At a steal, I thought it’d be a great way to mix up my crosstraining!
I wanted until after Disney, since I was in Taper beforehand, and made an appointment to go the Wednesday after for an intro class.

Day One: I made sure to be early so that I could ‘observe’ the class before me. I saw that they were just finishing up their WOD and were doing 50 burpees or as many as they could in 5 minutes. Lovely!
I met Ricky, Hope, and Stephanie who are all instructors at this box and they walked me through what to expect my first day. They showed me variations to the exercises that were going to be done in my class and how to add in adjustments. I wanted to be a big girl and try full-on pullups but since it was my first class they didn’t want me to push it too, too hard … God bless them.
The WOD a.k.a. Workout of the day was Honey Boo Boo {snicker, snicker}
5 Rounds for time
50x vertical jump 12″ reach
40x squats
30x situps
20x pushups
10x pullups
Hope had me do lat-ring-rows instead of pullups and I adjusted my pushups so that I had my knees down and went ALL the way to the floor (so I didn’t get yelled at – Stephanie was watching close by.)
With variations, I was pretty proud of my time! We also did Burpees for 5 minutes or until you hit 50, it took me 4:00 to finish that. The other 2 guys in my class, plus another that I knew, were great about being team players and teased me asking me to stop going to fast so that I didn’t show them up 😉 I really enjoyed myself! Not only did I have a great workout in a short amount of time, but I finally got to workout at an actual crossfit box! I was really nervous walking up to the group working out, but once my workout began, we were all yelling at each other to keep going and there were plenty of “good job!”s around.
Day Two: Monday 1/21 – I usually run an easy run on Mondays but since I’d added miles to my Sunday recovery I figured that I could squeeze in some crosstraining as I know they’d kick my butt regardless!
WOD: Sexy and you know it (tee hee)
5 rounds for time:

20x Double unders
15x Push press 95#/65#
20x Double unders
15x Kettlebell swings 53#/35#

Great time, but some of these guys lifted way more than me! – mad props yo!
Hope set me up to do my Push presses at 35#, KBS (Kettlebell swings) at 20# (to start and work on form for both) and since I stink at DUs (double unders with the jumprope), I did 60 singles. Afterwards, we did the infamous 50 burpess in 5 minutes or sooner and I finished in 4:23. I was much slower – I was hurting with those presses from Monday! Afterwards, I made it to the gym for a quick run and finished 1 mile setting out to do 2. Baby steps, Kat.

Day Three: Wednesday 1/23 – Another classmate and I were still feeling the D.O.M.S. (delayed onset muscle soreness) from Monday’s WOD, so our instructor made some adjustments to the day’s WOD – ok we’re wusses:

50 you said what????

Complete for time 50 of each:
Pullups
Box Jumps
Lunge steps with plate 45#/25#
1 arm snatch 45#/25# (alt arms)

We did ring rows instead of pullups, [super big] tire jumps vs. box jumps, 15# lunge steps, and I used a 15# dumbell for the snatches. I forgot it was alternating arms so ended up doing a hundred of those. Whoops.

We did our usual burpees for 5 minutes at the end of our recovery, again. I had my best time with 50 in 3:58. I still have T-Rex arms still from them.

Proper WOD attire?

I’m thinking ‘accidentally’ doing 100 snatches makes me about a minute over, but hey it was my bad.
I have to say, I’m loving it! I like the challenge, I like the camaraderie, and I like the step-my-step instruction to show progress – so that I don’t hurt myself.

Since my deal is 10 classes in 30 days I decided to give Mondays and Wednesdays a shot as part of my crosstraining/running training plan before I decide if I’ll go all in!

Do you crossfit? Do you love it or hate it?

January 25, 2013, 2:35 pm

Glad you’re enjoying it! I’m going to my box tonight 🙂

January 25, 2013, 3:04 pm

Fun! I wish I could go more but want to take it slowly with race training

January 25, 2013, 3:39 pm

Same here…I’ve been trying to go at least once a week, preferably twice…don’t want to hurt myself before my first half marathon next month!

January 25, 2013, 2:35 pm

I do CrossFit and it’s the best thing I think I’ve ever done! It’s a fabulous cross trainer for running and the team feeling is the best!! LOVE your socks — have to get those! And I really like the idea of 50 burpees after your metcon — I’ll have to add that to mine!

January 25, 2013, 3:05 pm

They’re awesome! It’s usually what makes me lay on the floor and fall out 😉 I think our box is doing the burpee thing for 3 months

January 25, 2013, 2:52 pm

I start Monday and I’m kinda terrified! I’m using it in place of crosstraining as well 🙂

January 25, 2013, 2:57 pm

I so wish I could afford CrossFit! I love the style of the workouts and would love to have a group to workout with! So jealous!!
    ~Ang

January 25, 2013, 3:06 pm

Check out Groupon – there’s always deals for various boxes!

January 25, 2013, 3:00 pm

Cant wait to try it!!!

January 25, 2013, 3:01 pm

Cant wait to try it!!!

January 25, 2013, 3:03 pm

First of all, I *love* that your WOD was titled Honey Boo Boo–that’s hilarious! I went to one CrossFit class with my coworkers, and it was a lot of fun; I can totally see how it can becoming addicting. 🙂 The only downside is the cost, so you’re lucky you picked up the Groupon deal!

January 25, 2013, 3:07 pm

I know! I asked if I could just keep using Groupons back to back after mine runs out and I may have gotten the evil eye 😉

January 25, 2013, 4:20 pm

My heart is bursting with excitement for you! You are perfect for CrossFit!!! Loooooooove it!! and 50 burpees 3 days in a row? I’d die. I hate burpees with a passion. I’m glad you are enjoying it and I hope you keep it up!

January 25, 2013, 4:46 pm

A co-worker of mine swears by Cross-Fit so it’s been around me a lot lately. I may have to get my lazy butt in gear and do it, hahaha!

January 25, 2013, 5:14 pm

I haven’t taken the Crossfit plunge yet. It’s too intimidating. Glad you are enjoying it.

January 25, 2013, 5:43 pm

I was so scared the first day – but once I saw they change things up so you learn bit by bit I knew I found a good box!

January 25, 2013, 5:20 pm

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the crossfit experience! Looks like you are doing a wonderful job at it right off the bat! Way to go lady! You just keep pushing and pushing :0)

January 25, 2013, 5:22 pm

Before CrossFit became so popular I started taking a bootcamp class. Now that I have tried CrossFit I have found it is the same thing, but now bootcamp is something different. Crazy. Bootcamp/Crossfit is the reason I am able to be able to compete in the events I do today without injury. My strength workouts are based on CrossFit WODs. Enjoy it. It will make you strong.

January 25, 2013, 6:20 pm

I have been avoiding CrossFit like the plague due to all the Goofy Training. However, now that that is done I am still intrigued and do need strength. Hubby and I are going to visit a local Box on Saturday night that is having an open house as part of our date night, yea, um we are lame…
    Glad you are enjoying it!

January 25, 2013, 7:03 pm

Yea and totally check out Groupon for deals to try it out!

January 25, 2013, 6:39 pm

Oh my goodness- so freaking excited for you. Have I mentioned a million times over how much I LOVE crossfit!? It is the best cross training ever!

I am awful at double unders, but I have been working on them a lot. You should see my DU “war wounds” from Tuesday. I am going to post a picture of what my arms looked like on my weekly recap post. It looked like I took a razor blade to my arm. All week I have had to wear long sleeve shirts. :/

January 25, 2013, 7:04 pm

Yes you have! I gotta speed up like you! 😉 I like the jumpropes at the box, they’re lighter than other ones I’ve tried (old school beaded jump ropes!) but I am terrified to do more than one DU..esp if I end up with more wounds 😉

January 25, 2013, 6:47 pm

Hmm, this either scares me or excites me. I’m still waiting for a deal to pop up for my hood, or I just need to suck it up and check out one of their free Saturday morning classes. I have a half this weekend, so maybe next weekend I will. Probably. Maybe. 🙂

January 25, 2013, 7:04 pm

No way jose! You’re a brut, you can do eet! 😉 Thanks for stopping by, by the way, I’ve stopped crying 🙂

January 25, 2013, 7:10 pm

I have always wanted to try cross fit and bought a groupon. I however missed the expiration day by ONE and they would not honor it not even the amount I paid for it as they are supposed to so I complained to groupon and got a refund. I still want to try it but I will go elsewhere for it….I have to be careful not to overgroupon myself again 🙂

January 25, 2013, 7:47 pm

Oh no that stinks! They do say to try out various boxes until you find the right one and their service is definitely key to being happy there!

January 26, 2013, 12:31 am

I’m super jealous! I’ve been waiting (in)patiently for a groupon to pop up for my local box. Although I know once I try it, I’ll want to join the box.

January 26, 2013, 12:41 am

Looks like you are already kicking butt! Awesome! I also tried Crossfit wwith a Groupon deal and man it humbled me fast! I thought I was strong! ha ha, not so much! Crossfit definitely pushes your limits! great job! 🙂 – Lea

January 26, 2013, 2:16 am

SOo many burpees?? All the time?? Yikes! 🙂

Glad you enjoyed the classes!! It’s a great painful workout!