The doc’s plan for me

Today’s long run was a nice, no pressure, one! Most everyone I know is either away running Ragnar KW or like me training for the Disney full or half. It was our last horrah before we ventured to the happiest place on earth!
In my previous vlog I let you guys know that I’d be having a skin test on NYE.. oh what fun that was … to figure out what I’m allergic to that’s triggering my asthma issues.
they said “but you have tattoos, this shouldn’t feel like anything at all!” … ((rolls eyes))
I had a follow up with the doc yesterday and here’s the verdict:
Addendum to Allergy shots: I ended up getting a call that the allergy shots would cost around $800 for the vials to be made for me, $31 a shot, and then $6 after my deductible of $500 is met.. This might not be happening (le sigh)
Do you hate taking medicine as much as I do but have to? Any physical issues you push through to run?

January 5, 2013, 2:54 pm

My boyfriend used to be on allergy shots! He’s been off of them for about a year and says he feels no difference. His mother, on the other hand, SWEARS they ‘cured’ her. And also, yes, I HATE taking medicine!!

January 5, 2013, 4:33 pm

See I’m afraid to spend the money with no results…still debating…hmm

January 5, 2013, 3:00 pm

“Dust mites are gross things that eat your skin while you sleep.” LOL Gross. I love it!
    I’m lucky enough not to be allergic to anything but my knees been giving me a lot of problems running lately. 🙁
    Hint for your sheets: Have four sets and you can switch them out every week without having to do laundry.

January 5, 2013, 4:36 pm

Ice those puppies! And yes we’ve been slowly buying more and more bedding!

January 5, 2013, 3:32 pm

My sister and dad are both allergic to dust mites (and cats!), so they both have the special bedding like you. Technically, they both has asthma, but it doesn’t affect my dad’s running at all. I avoid taking medicine at all costs because I don’t want to build up an immunity to it. (Weird, I know.) One of my proudest moments was taking Motrin only once during my four-month stint abroad. 😉 Happy Saturday!

January 5, 2013, 4:36 pm

I would love no meds, but to run I need them….the Doc got on my for being a rebel 😉

January 5, 2013, 4:43 pm

After 6 months of running I came to realize that I wasn’t just “out of shape and out of breath” but I have asthma. I don’t have insurance so right now we’re doing the cheap way of experimenting with inhalers, Zyrtec and stuff… that’s been my saga this last week. I am going to have to really clean up my life so I can breathe again!

I cannot wait to have insurance…. running 11 minute miles since I keep having breathing problems really really sucks.

January 5, 2013, 5:24 pm

Our health care system suuuuucks something fierce…I just had to find the right formula that wouldn’t break the bank..,completely 😉

January 5, 2013, 5:07 pm

I hate taking medicine! I hope you feel better! I am also turning off my humidifiers! SO GROSS!

January 5, 2013, 5:25 pm

Thanks! I had no idea about the humidifier thing! I thought it was helping me!

January 5, 2013, 9:26 pm

Have you tried local honey?

January 6, 2013, 12:01 am

Ouch!!! I hate needles! And I hate when insurance doesn’t cover as much as I need it to. I hope you get it sorted out quickly!

January 6, 2013, 12:41 am

Holy crap those are some expensive shots. Did you tell them that is cutting into the helicopter budget?
    I hope you can find another, slightly cheaper, solution.

January 6, 2013, 1:15 am

Right! I don’t think the Doc gets it….he’s cramping my style!

January 6, 2013, 1:31 am

I always thank god that I live in Canada because I’m diabetic and I’d be in the poor house if I lived in the US… good luck with whatever you choose to do – and if I don’t talk to you by next week, good luck!!

January 6, 2013, 1:34 am

Are you T1? So is my hubs! Yea…we should move…

January 6, 2013, 1:51 am

Oh yikes girl! That’s some expensive stuff! And I just really don’t want to think about little things that eat your skin while you sleep..eeww!!! Seriously I hope you can find something cheaper that works!

January 6, 2013, 2:12 am

GIRL. Wait, scratch that. SISTER!
    I feel so bad, but not really because I was laughing as you held up each medication. 😉

The only thing I don’t have in my cabinet is the Flonase. My doc suggested it because I get the post nasal drip going, but I haven’t caved {not a fan of the long term effects/dependence on the spray}

I hope it works out with your insurance though – I want to know how this plays out. I considered having the tests done, but it looks like you’re playing guinea pig for me.

Side note: Please don’t be allergic to me in June 🙂

January 6, 2013, 2:15 am

Lol you know you love my drugssssss! 😉 what’s the deal with Flonase? I’m debating cost vs benefits…wanna sponsor my shots?? Haha maybe we should have been fitbloggin roomies with our noses!? 😉

January 6, 2013, 2:42 am

Haha! At least we know we’re covered if either of us forgets something!

I’ve heard everything from being dependent upon it to it jacking up your sense of smell. As in, poof, gone.
      My inhalers and crack, – err, zyrtec – manage my issues well enough, so I’m holding off on adding another drug to the list. Instead, I’m making friends with a neti pot and hopefully not drowning myself with it anytime soon.

Two other side notes: just got my inhaler in November and it looks as jacked as yours already & red wine is no bueno either. It gets my eczema flaring (minimally), but I’m guessing that means it doesn’t help the allergies either.

January 6, 2013, 4:53 am

So first of all…I used to be the one who did the testing on people…the fact that you had to do arms AND back means your doctor is old school…did you get stuck by individual needles? If so…’m so sorry you had to go through that. 🙁 there actually is a better less painful way…Second of all…realize that if you do the shots it will take YEARS to build up an immunity to that stuff and sometimes it doesn’t even work… 3rd…you should def do your own research into the inhalers and Zyrtec…it’s very easy for your body to build up an immunity to those drugs and then you will have to go back to the doctor to find something stronger… (That’s how the pharmaceutical companies make their money lol) I do think inhalers are a good thing, but the ones with steroids always made me jittery and I HATED that feeling! Especially if I was just fine and they told me I needed to do it everyday… The one before you run and if you need is a good thing though! You can def take my advice with a grain of salt, but I just thought I would share my opinion! 🙂

January 7, 2013, 12:47 am

I had the testing a few years ago and I am allergic to the environment also! Trees, grass, mold, dust mites, horses, hazelnut. I an now newly allergic to apple, peaches, basically everything. I love flonase and allegra D. It is stinky! I got to sick last year from allergies I was out of work for 3 days with an infection in my chest.
    I hope that this gets easier and for you!
    You are being so positive given the circumstances given to you.
    Kick butt at Disney! Any goals?

January 7, 2013, 4:02 pm

Oh, I feel your pain. I used to take allergy shots when I was younger but now my kids are at the allergist all.the.time. Pretty much, the three of us are allergic to everything. Skin tests are no fun. I’m so sorry. I hate taking medicines too and hate everything that has to do with health insurance (that’s a whole other long rant). I have nothing to offer except that I hope that you get this sorted out.

January 7, 2013, 7:42 pm

That’s a lot of meds. Sorry you had to get all pricked. At least now you know. I swear I am allergic to dustmites. I get loads of allergies when I clean. But I don’t have asthma, which is what makes it worse for you. Hope everything gets better now that you have answers!