Meet me at the Afterparty

Happy Valentine’s Day!
Hopefully we all remember to love and love freely every day of the year and not just today!
Ok, enough PSA 😉
on to my love of fun local runs & why you should do them!
Even though I didn’t race this past weekend at the Rock n’ Roll Half in St Pete, I took it upon myself to partake in the festivities surrounding the race! Fit Niche and Brooks were hosting an Afterparty and Shakeout run on Monday night – bringing the Brooks Cavalcade of Curiosity. This drew hubs in immediately since he didn’t get to see it this past weekend! After work, we headed out to Hyde Park to meet up with a few others who’d planned to attend including some of my Brooks peeps and blends!
We just did the 1 mile run (adding steps to the fitbit!) and then hung out for giveaways and Brooks swag – and swag we got!
 Sidenote: I’m loving our new Fitbits! It’s like a constant competition to see who gets more steps a day and we’re burning calories simultaneously – Walking Dead commercial break dancing anyone?

hubs was so excited for his Run Happy shades!
the haul, including the ever-elusive Pure Project watch I’d been eyeing from other IDers!
A photo booth also happened. Like whoa.

Two days later, I ventured to another fun run…after work…at Fit2run with Kris.
Yes, both stores know that I am impartial to stores selling running apparel. No sides taken 😉
The clouds loomed over us as we drove there, but we hoped they would subside just a tad.
Note to self: always bring a change of clothes even if you don’t think you’ll need it. More on that later.

Before
On our way out with the group we decided against carrying phones…luckily…because we felt raindrops.
Then a full-on monsoon rain came into the picture. We made it a mile out before both of us were blind and our contacts were blurred before we decided to stumble back to home base. Through the mall parking lot we giggled and laughed hysterically as mall-goers gawked and wondered why 2 girls in pink skirts were drenched and running the parking lot.
After
Why do I dig fun runs?
* no worries about pace
* lots of laughing
* festive outfits encouraged
* FUN
* swag and beverages and cookies
* FUN
Do you enjoy local running events?
Does running in the rain make you a B.A.?
Do you think Valentine’s should be every day?

February 14, 2013, 2:58 pm

Love the photos from the Brooks event, what a great time! Running in the rain always brings out my inner child.

BTW- You two and those fitbits crack me up! 🙂

February 14, 2013, 3:19 pm

Haha u and the mister should get them too! So were not the only weird couple out there 😉

February 14, 2013, 3:04 pm

I love local fun runs because they are small and low-key. I like running in the rain but not the squishie sounds my shoes make. LOL

February 14, 2013, 3:19 pm

Haha yea we had a blast I felt like a kid

February 14, 2013, 3:30 pm

Love your photo booth pictures! It looks like you had a fun time. Does your hubby run quite a bit too?

I hope that there is an after party in SF and in Seattle!

It has been a while since I participated in a local running event. It seems like they are mostly geared for beginners.

February 14, 2013, 5:04 pm

You’ll love it! He and I met at the gym and he’s a runner but recovering from rehab and 2 ankle surgeries :/ Most local events are geared to get people into running but these groups have all levels

February 14, 2013, 4:24 pm

Running in the rain DOES make you a B.A. I started out the other day as it was sprinkling and people were looking at me like, “um, you know it’s going to rain right?” and I was all “this is called dedication people!”. And of course Valentine’s day should be every day. If you love someone, you shouldn’t go a day without telling them!

February 14, 2013, 5:04 pm

haha love feeling like a BA until I ‘m inside…shivering 😉

February 14, 2013, 4:32 pm

Hehehe:) lots of fun even in the rain!! xoxo love all the pics!

February 14, 2013, 5:05 pm

Lots of laughs with you girl, but that warm shower after felt awesome – no more shivers!

February 14, 2013, 4:47 pm

I love the fun runs! A chance to socialize and do something we all like without pressure of distance/pace 🙂 I like running when it’s raining, but definitely not if the wind kicks in.

February 14, 2013, 5:05 pm

#holycrap, we were all for going for the rest of the run until we were running with our eyes closed lol

February 14, 2013, 4:51 pm

The photo booth pics are awesome!!!! And running in the rain is fun…when else do you have an excuse to play in the rain??? 🙂

February 14, 2013, 5:06 pm

Thanks Mindy! It was definitely fun at first, until we were blind 😉

February 14, 2013, 4:57 pm

Love local fun runs. When I can, I do the run club at the Independent in Seminole Heights. I haven’t run in the rain in a very long time. Played kickball in it though and it always signified to me that I can relax and enjoy the moment. V-day should be everyday, accept for the pressure to be ardently pro or anti-V-Day.

February 14, 2013, 5:06 pm

You should come to fit 2 run on Weds when they have more of these, they’re fun and there’s food/beer after 😉

February 14, 2013, 5:31 pm

I do not enjoy running in the rain but I will do it if I have to.

Any “local” events are usually in DC which is 20 miles north of me…lol.

February 14, 2013, 5:53 pm

Whenever you visit down here you can go with me 🙂

February 14, 2013, 5:46 pm

I LOVED YOUR BLOG POST SO MUCH I MENTIONED YOU IN THE LARGEST RUNNING BLOG DIRECTORY ON THE WEB!

February 14, 2013, 6:10 pm

A really fun post Kat. I enjoy the fun runs too, basically for the same reasons. I am not worried about pace, I get to converse while running, most of the time I meet new people, an occasional sprint between a couple of runners is fun and still gets my heart rate up and of course a lot of the time…BEER!

February 14, 2013, 8:39 pm

Thanks Brad! Haha, Kris and I tried to hang on and chick some guys but that monsoon wind was out of control!

February 14, 2013, 6:41 pm

cute! I actually just got that skirt!

February 14, 2013, 7:05 pm

Your skirt is so cute! Too funny about the rain… you just never know. Happy Valentine’s day!

February 14, 2013, 8:40 pm

Thanks Laura! haha, yea training in ALL conditions right 😉 Same to you!

February 14, 2013, 7:24 pm

That last photo is so cute. I love themed race, I wish there was valentines day one near me. There are a lot of local running clubs but I am nowhere near their average pace.

February 14, 2013, 8:41 pm

Thanks Kelly! Our stores/clubs have ALL levels of runners – they should too!

February 14, 2013, 10:19 pm

So cool. Good to know you have some good connections!!! 😉 I am interested in hearing more about your fitbit 🙂

February 14, 2013, 10:37 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day! Have a great first married on with your new clothes! And the store run looks like so much fun! I’ve never been to one of those ones they offer. I should go sometime.

February 14, 2013, 10:41 pm

I’ve only done two fun runs, I am going to put more on my calendar this year and next!

February 15, 2013, 12:09 am

Your Valentine’s Day outfits were too cute, sorry you got rained on.

February 15, 2013, 12:54 am

happy valentine’s day, gorgeous lady! i hope its amazing! i love the love freely everyday mentality for sure!! <3

February 15, 2013, 12:58 am

Oh, I feel like *such* a BA when I run in the rain–that’s how you rack up street cred. 😉

February 15, 2013, 7:43 am

You and your hubby always look so cute in your photos…..see you next week!

February 15, 2013, 12:19 pm

How fun! Love the Walking Dead commercial dance off! I don’t mind running in the rain at all as long as it’s not cold out. If it’s cold and rainy I call it a gym day.

February 16, 2013, 3:59 am

I LOVE Valentines and totally think you should celebrate love every day! And running in the rain totally makes you a BA 🙂 I love local events — but yours looks like a lot more run 🙂