Princess Half: My reasons for playing dress up

Tomorrow I begin my weekend-cation celebrating a girls’ weekend away at Disney World for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend!

I’ll definitely be on Instagram and Twitter
with any goings-on throughout Downtown Disney and the Expo!

Once again, there will be no park-hopping for me (have you seen my race schedule?? I am on Disney probation) but there WILL be ladies dancing and a visit to the margarita bar 😉 (Yes, I gave up Sugar for Lent, but I had a little talk with God and he said a sip could go unscathed!)

Keep with tradition of costumed-runs, I will be this at the Princess Half:

Jasmine a.k.a. Kat-mine!

Reasons for dressing up during a race?

* It’s fun, why not?!
* It lightens the mood, “Why so serious??”
* It gears you up for the race itself, nothing like getting psyched!
* It draws cheers from spectators! When I did the WDW Half, people yelled “Go! Piglet!” and it motivated me to smile and enjoy the race while kicking it into gear!

Tips I’ve learned for race costumes

* Try to keep your race gear very similar to what you’d normally wear – adding too much might annoy
you more than anything. If you wear pants as part of a costume but normally wear a skirt, it might be pesky.
* Check out skirts and accessories from sites like Team Sparkle who has skirts you can wear OVER your regular bottoms (i.e. I’m wearing my Brooks Glycerin Shorts and a teal Team Sparkle skirt over it Sunday)
* Try it all on before-hand: no new is good new on race day in all forms!
* Remember that there are such thing as NON-compression arm and leg sleeves – if you’re not accustomed to compression ON runs, you might want to go for sleeves without it just in case (I repeat: no new is good new on race day – are we getting the hang of this?)
* If you wear makeup, make sure it’s water and smudge proof – raccoon eyed race photos anyone?
* Pin the crap out of headgear such as Elf Hats or Tiaras so they stay in place when you’re speedy Gonzales on the course. I’ve even safety-pinned onto an existing hat to keep costume parts on.
* Google is your friend

Will I see you our at the Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend?!
Have you raced in costume? Why/Why not?

February 22, 2013, 12:29 pm

Oh my word I love it!!! I do admit that I like to dress up for races! Nothing wrong with a tutu or two!

February 22, 2013, 1:11 pm

Gaaaaaaaaaaah you are going to be so stinkin’ cute!! I can’t imagine running a race (even Princess) in full makeup. I would look like a crazy person afterwards.

February 22, 2013, 1:44 pm

Haha there will be no face makeup on this girl!

February 22, 2013, 1:12 pm

Cute Cute Cute!! I’ve only done a few 5ks and never dressed up, but I loved seeing the costumes some people put together!

February 22, 2013, 1:16 pm

I never raced in a costume! But I am eying one (or two) of the Disney races for 2014!I want to run one with my sister and one with my husband.

February 22, 2013, 1:27 pm

Umm yes!!! I love the costume! So much fun!

February 22, 2013, 1:37 pm

Will any guys be wearing this outfit? Wouldn’t that be embarrassing…hah!

February 22, 2013, 1:45 pm

Haha if they did Brad I’d give them mad props!

February 22, 2013, 1:48 pm

Ur gonna look great! And run great of course!! I cant wait for the weekend!!! 🙂

February 22, 2013, 1:51 pm

Thanks Kris u too! Instagram that outfit yo! 😉

February 22, 2013, 1:50 pm

So cute!!! I love it!!! And yes running is all about the outfit in my opinion lol! Have fun girl! I can’t believe I’m missing it this year…but I’ll be there next year!!!

February 22, 2013, 2:09 pm

So excited for Princess this weekend! Your costume rocks. Are you going to the expo tomorrow? We have to all get together at some point.

February 22, 2013, 2:19 pm

Super cute costume! I can’t wait to see race day pictures. I have never ran a costume before, but it sounds like fun!

February 22, 2013, 3:22 pm

Love this outfit!! Have an awesome time!!! 🙂

February 22, 2013, 4:19 pm

What a cute costume! I’m so excited for you!!

February 22, 2013, 4:20 pm

I’ve never raced in costume…but I love the idea!
    Where on Earth to you find such adorable costumes??

February 22, 2013, 10:36 pm

Team sparkle makes most of the parts! 😉

February 22, 2013, 4:33 pm

Good Luck Kat!! Can’t wait to see how well you do!

February 22, 2013, 4:33 pm

A — I had not seen your race schedule, I need to get set and do all mine too! B – how fun!! Looks like you’ll have a blast!! Have fun & run happy 🙂

February 22, 2013, 4:33 pm

I need to get more tu-tus and stuff as well to run in. Have a great time Kat, you are going to look so adorable.

February 22, 2013, 5:24 pm

So freakin adorable cant wait to see pictures! Good luck!

February 22, 2013, 5:34 pm

Too cute!!! I can’t wait to see pics. Rock it, girl!

February 22, 2013, 6:09 pm

I haven’t run in a costume, but love seeing them and how creative everyone is!

February 22, 2013, 6:35 pm

I adore your costume! I can’t wait to hear all about it. You’ll do great!!

February 22, 2013, 7:01 pm

Love!!! I can’t wait to see you in full get up! Have a wonderful time this weekend with the gals!

February 22, 2013, 7:40 pm

I love racing in costume, or adding race themed flair to my gear. You do have to make sure you have elements of what you normally wear included, so you don’t throw your whole run off, but its pretty easy to throw on a sports bra and spandex shorts underneath anything!

I won’t be at Disney this weekend, but seeing all the tweets and photos is making me very sad that I won’t be there 🙁

February 22, 2013, 7:46 pm

Love the costume! Jasmine is my favorite Disney Princess. Good luck this weekend!

February 22, 2013, 9:41 pm

This is the most fabulous (can I make “awesome-ist” a word?) race costume I have ever seen. I better start thinking about DIVAS so I can impress you in April! 🙂 I’m terrible at race costumes. Ha! I hope you have a wonderful race and a lot of fun. Go get it!
    P.S. You just need some sparkly Brooks Pure Cadence to make it complete 😉

February 22, 2013, 10:39 pm

Yes! Princess edition Cadences! You can rock one girl ill help! 😉

February 22, 2013, 11:32 pm

Great tips. Yes, I’ve done a costume several times. Running with hulk hands was exhausting. Never realized how much you use your hands/arms while running until you are basically running with weights. Hulk tired.

February 23, 2013, 12:29 am

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 23, 2013, 1:08 am

Cute! I’d love to do a princess race just to dress up in sparkles! Have fun!

February 23, 2013, 1:29 am

Kat-mine–love it! It almost sounds like Katniss from The Hunger Games who kicks butt and takes names, which you will do on race day. 🙂

February 23, 2013, 2:10 am

Haha I hope..with the heat I dunno! But katniss would make an awesome costume idea!!

February 23, 2013, 2:01 am

So cute and good luck! My mom is there but just doing the 5k!

February 23, 2013, 4:56 pm

I have never run in a costume, but think your tips are great. I would totally want to find something similar to what I always run in anyway so I could still move. Maybe a cute skirt over my normal tights.

February 23, 2013, 8:39 pm

I will not be in costume, but I will be wearing a volunteer jacket! Look for me at the Magic Kingdom Auto Plaza. I have no idea what I will be doing – but I will be cheering you on!

Good luck and have fun!!

February 24, 2013, 7:03 am

I’m not sure why but this web site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I’ll сheck back latеr аnd see if the
    pгoblem still exiѕtѕ.

My blog post – E Cigarette To Quit Smoking

February 24, 2013, 7:06 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up? I’m assuming
    having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Feel free to surf to my web blog; huggies rewards

February 24, 2013, 7:06 am

Hi there this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use
    WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.

I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to visit my blog … printable potty training diaper coupons

February 24, 2013, 2:01 pm

Ha! You sound like me! Your Lent comment made me giggle! Enjoy!

February 27, 2013, 7:12 pm

I love dressing up in costumes! I have yet to do a costume race but this post just made me want to participate in one so bad. I definitely look forward to trying one out on day.

February 27, 2013, 8:00 pm

Costumes make everything so much fun! It can lighten the mood anywhere and it is a great ice breaker to meet new people. I really want to participate in the Run for Your Life race where people dress up like zombies, it looks like a blast!