Princess Weekend: Race Recap

Race Recap of the weekend! And forewarning: Photos are a-plenty!

After some character photos and a visit from friends and family, Kris and I decided to go to our Corral (A) together, but that she’d go ahead and I’d frolick behind somewhere. We train together, but she’s faster than me altogether – also, she and I have different race schedules and goals.Help Our coach “grades” our races A-C and we take it from there. So, we enjoyed our time in the Corral together – Kris taking a potty break in the woods in between – and were on our way once the fireworks and Fairy-Godmother instructed us to!I decided to take this ‘race’ in stride. My last Disney race, I regretted not stopping to take character photos and I was going to do that this time for sure! So, as a forewarning, this recap isn’t a one of me gunning for any PR action or anything crazy – this was actually my PW (Personal Worst) and I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything 😉 Also, this was the same route we took in the Disney World Half Marathon in January.
Miles 1-3:
Just as we did at WDW weekend, we made our way in the pitchblack dark down World Drive towards the Magic Kingdom from Epcot center where the race started. I first saw the Pirates and then spotted Aladdin! I pulled over for a photo with him and the other men of Disney!

Miles 4-6:
I was now at the Magic Kingdom!

After a visit with Lightning McQueen and the Villianesses and a Huma energy shot, I twisted through the park and decided to take a potty break in Tomorrow Land.

Eh, why not? I was enjoying myself – and honestly I didn’t have to ‘seriously’ go. Since it was a chance to pee in an actual bathroom and not the woods or a port-o-let I decided to hop on it. We cruised along Main Street around miles 4-5 (my favorite part of the race) through a sea of spectators lining the lit-up streets and buildings. As you turn right, you see the ever-elusive castle!

As I rounded a bend around the castle, I bumped into two buds of mine, Meghan and Tori! It was nice to see some familiar faces and have some company for a bit. They were with a few others from the Tampa Lady Bloggers who were running a bit behind since they were taking photos at ALL of the photo stops – mad props to them. We caught up and then made our way INTO the castle – and once again I was photobombed as I attemped to get my “just exited the castle” race photo.
Miles 7-9:
It was a little bit after leaving the Magic Kingdom that I saw the Genie from Aladdin and told the girls I’d catch up with them later!

I also found Waldo 😉
After Genie…Around mile 8 I had a scare when I saw a girl get ‘caught’ by the runner behind her – I turned to look and she was as white as a ghost. A few of us tried to let the medical peeps know we needed help over on the left side of the course – I was a bit disappointed in their lack of hurriedness as they walked over to help her. I trudged on, but seeing others hurt always messes with me as I feel bad and wonder if they are okay.My, do Iove when I see organic fuel provided for a race: Clif Shot gels were provided around mile 9. I headed into Mile 10, I saw the Drill Sargeant shouting positive words of encouragement to runners passing by. I had to get a photo with him, as he reminded me of the upcoming marathon I have to train for: the Marine Corps Marathon!

Miles 10-13.1:

After mile 10, I bumped back into Tori and Meghan. Funny enough, it was at a medical tent I saw Tori and wondered where Meghan was. I worried until I saw her appear out of a port-o-let – just a routine potty stop, thank goodness. We grouped up again and made our way towards the on-ramp slant (ughhh) and the 3 overpass/bridges that lead into the finish. I knew these were coming to made sure to be prepared! We chatted away and smiled as spectators cheered us on: “Go Minnie, Go Jasmine, Go Rapunzel!” – Meghan was also dressed as the Tangled princess with her own awesome yard braid, mad props to her for running with this! We decided to all finish together 🙂

Overall time: 2:25:50

At the finish, I saw an opportunity to get pixie-dusted and couldn’t pass that up!

I loved this “Personal Worst” race. I stopped looking at my watch, I chatted it up with strangers, thanked spectators and volunteers and high-fived the crap out of people.
PSA: Running is meant to be enjoyed. Remember why you started running in the first place so that you don’t forget the positive aspects of it!
Some races are about PRs, but that’s not what all races are about. Or all running period. If you race and race you’re only going to end up hurt or tired of the sport. Running has given me tons of friends and training buddies and bonds I am forever grateful for! I am thankful to FINISH any half marathon – my lungs challenge me every day – so I never forget where I came from.
Have you done a race just to enjoy running?
Does pixie dust make you sparkle like a Vampire?

February 28, 2013, 12:26 pm

I love that you were pixie dusted, after! Looks so fun!

February 28, 2013, 12:30 pm

SUCH A FUN RACE…I wanna do again, too.

February 28, 2013, 12:39 pm

Your costume is adorable! I usually go into runDisney races looking to have fun and not really worry about time.after all, you’re running through DISNEY!

February 28, 2013, 12:40 pm

Gah!! You are so stinking cute!! A Disney race {in costume} is totally on my bucket list. And yes, I think Pixie would make me sparkle like a vampire – especially since I’m 27 shades of pale. o.O

February 28, 2013, 2:56 pm

Haha thanks G! They might sell it online??

February 28, 2013, 1:15 pm

Great way to pw. I get way too serious and need to be reminded to enjoy the run

February 28, 2013, 2:56 pm

Thanks Carissa! Disney is the easiest place for it 😉

February 28, 2013, 1:29 pm

Where was Snow White!? Ah! Sad. I wish I’d seen her.

February 28, 2013, 1:31 pm

fun! love your costume. This was my first disney race that i DIDN’T stop for photos etc. I usually always run slow and for fun in these but really wanted a PR. :0

February 28, 2013, 2:57 pm

I saw, awesome job! I had a hard time bobbing and weaving so maybe that takes getting used to

February 28, 2013, 1:53 pm

No better way to have a personal worst for time but definitely an enjoyable fun run!

February 28, 2013, 2:33 pm

FABULOUS!!!

February 28, 2013, 2:39 pm

I love fun races where I’m not worried about time. Great costume!

February 28, 2013, 2:44 pm

Every race I’ve done was to simply enjoy and have fun 🙂

Love the outfit!

February 28, 2013, 2:54 pm

How fun! I love that you ignored the clock and ran for fun… I need to do a race like that soon. Enjoy it with no pressure. Congrats on another half!!

February 28, 2013, 2:58 pm

Thanks Laura! Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a PR left in me 😉

February 28, 2013, 3:24 pm

Great recap! You are absolutely right sometimes you have to run for fun to stay on your game! Way to go lady!!

February 28, 2013, 5:05 pm

Love all the photos and like you, most of my castle photos are photo bommed. As much as I always try to remember to stay back and to the left, it usually is fail.
    As crazy as it sounds, Goofy Challenge was running for fun! The half was just all fun, but then for the full I ended up running the first 20 in 3:45 just to get ahead of the heat a bit then the last 6 was planned to relax and enjoy.

February 28, 2013, 9:28 pm

Thanks Lisa! I am definitely keeping that mindset for all of the Disney races I do!

February 28, 2013, 5:17 pm

simply awesome! fun photos

February 28, 2013, 5:23 pm

I love that you got to adorn Aladdin’s arm for a pic! Looks like another run Disney half and who cares about a PW on a Disney race when you get to have that much fun?

February 28, 2013, 9:29 pm

Exactly Jen! Yea, I was a little bummed that my super-reflective hat photobombed my picture lol

February 28, 2013, 5:51 pm

Looking at your pictures, I feel like we may have been close to you in your face! Haha. Some of the people (and Waldo!) are all familiar! I have to look back at mine!

Such amazing photos!

And the end of the race … well, I’m glad you knew it was coming. I got a little mad about it 😉 Don’t worry .. .they totally caught it on camera and my friend trying to calm be down with a straight face! haha.

February 28, 2013, 9:30 pm

That’s too funny! I saw a lot of people I ended up knowing, from the rear, and was too afraid it wasn’t htem to stop and say hi LOL

February 28, 2013, 6:04 pm

Great post and I love to see that you were just going out and having FUN! I wouldn’t consider this a PW, because you were not trying for a PR or even really racing, you were out to have a good time. There are races we train for to PR, there are races we do as training runs to test our current training and there are races we do strictly for fun because we know we are going to stop and see the sights. So in my eyes, nope, not a PW. A PFR – Personal Fun Race.

February 28, 2013, 6:24 pm

You did great, Kat!! Love all the pics! I hope the girl that passed out was ok.

February 28, 2013, 6:47 pm

Love all the pics and you did awesome!

February 28, 2013, 9:15 pm

Great costume and recap! We love the Princess Half Marathon!

February 28, 2013, 11:54 pm

Love, love, love your pictures! You look so happy! Finishing the race with some pixie dust sounds perfect. 🙂

March 1, 2013, 2:24 am

This pics are so awesome! I hope to do this run one day. It looks like you had the most fun ever! Congrats! Cheers, Tara

March 1, 2013, 2:25 am

Since Disney was my first, and currently, only marathon I did not stop for one single picture. I was too terrified if I stopped I’d never start again. I would love to do princess just for fun one year and picture it up like crazy. By the way in case I haven’t said it a million times, your costume is EPIC!

March 1, 2013, 2:36 am

haha danggg look at your head (crown) bling shining in the first pic! Your outfit is PERFECT for a Disney race! So cute. And I love that you got a pic with the solider. Glad you had fun and enjoyed yourself. I totally agree that some races are meant to just have a good time, relax and enjoy why we run – for fun! 🙂 I agree with Brad – PFR!
    And noooo dahling pixie dust makes you sparkle in the sunlight like a PRINCESS!

March 1, 2013, 2:50 am

Great recap and photos 🙂 and of course wonderful costume! Glad you had such a great time.

March 1, 2013, 2:54 am

awesome recap lady!! Makes me wish I could have been there! Glad you had so much fun 🙂

March 1, 2013, 7:08 am

What an awesome time! I love your costume! I definitely need to run this race some year!

March 1, 2013, 11:31 am

i adore you in that costume!! what a blast and I cannot wait to do a disney run in the future now!

March 1, 2013, 8:19 pm

Loved your photos, it looked like such a fun race! Really makes me want to do a Disney race at some point. 🙂

March 3, 2013, 2:32 am

Pixie dust is one of the reasons Disney races are the absolute best. I haven’t done a “fun run” yet – I get too serious and always want to beat myself. Once I beat my PR goals, I’m hoping I will relax a bit and just enjoy the race!

March 4, 2013, 3:50 pm

I loved looking at all your pictures! This recap made me want to sign up for this race immediately, although I don’t know that I could ever match your awesome race outfit. Congrats on a fun race despite the heat. You’re one step closer to MCM.

March 4, 2013, 5:40 pm

Congrats! It was such a fun race. Love your costume!