Ultimate Warriors: Warrior Dash Race Recap

We came. We Warrior’d. We Conquered.
This Saturday, hubs and I were on a mission in Lake Wales to complete our very first Warrior Dash 5k! Luckily, this wasn’t my first mud run, as I did Pretty Muddy last November, but it was hubs’ first race in 2 years + his first mud run!

Injuries, schminjuries!
We signed up for the 10:30am heat, and made sure to leave the house around 7am hoping to get to Lake Wales around an hour or so earlier. Color us excited when we got there way earlier than expected (no traffic through Brandon?!) and were able to get into a heat an hour ahead of schedule!
After a quick bib pickup and gear check, we were off into the wilderness to do the most effective relationship builder ever!
Seriously, that’s what I got most out of this.
Here I was worried about Hubs’ ankle and him rolling it and making sure we focused on having fun, and we ended up having the best time being a team – it’s always great when those awesome moments happen, right? Tear. More on that later.
Mile 1: It was hard to tell which miles were which, and I have no photographic proof of the obstacles (I’m sans waterproof camera,) so I’ll do my best to recap what happened in my native tongue – English.
And you can also check out the list of Warrior Dash Obstacles HERE 😉
I remember a lot of cold water and mud in the first mile. We’d promised each other to stick together and stayed true to our word from the get-go. Hubs would stay right by my side – not speeding up – and took it easy. I made sure to stay to the outside of the muddier areas, so his ankle was on level ground most of the time. We went under plastic netting and then saw what appeared to be our first main obstacle: Wooden wall climbing. We ended up doing well going over those, hubs helping my short a** reach the footholds. We even made sure to help a few ladies who were stuck and a little afraid once they were at the top of the wall. Next up was another series of plastic netting where we had to climb underneath & do the ‘tire dance’ by stepping into tires of all sizes. There was even a car or two to climb over at the end, which I have to say was a first for me. Hubs was super careful walking in the tires, and not running, so that he didn’t twist a leg.
Mile 2: Between each obstacle and larger body of water were real patchy areas with mud that I made sure to go around – Hubs would always say “I’m ok!” when I looked over to check on him. I remember us coming up to another wooden wall, this one having ropes to climb over and around with. I had to do a running start to even get to the rope, my vertically-challenged height made it so I couldn’t reach it’s end to grab. We ended up bringing gloves with us, and a huge plus. The splinters we’d have gotten would have been pretty gnarly. Next, we found a contraption where you walked up a plank of wood and then across a narrow beam with water spraying right at you. I happened to get really scared because I always envision getting hurt and this was the perfect place to do just that! Hubs took my hand and we walked across together. After that, we ran a bit and approached what seemed to be a moat – of super cold water. Keep in mind, this morning started out in the 40s.
Mile 3: I honestly don’t remember which obstacles went with which mile. We were too busy having fun that I didn’t think to take note of it all in any succint order. Potato – potatoe. A chain climb happened here somewhere, and we happened to help a few people again who were stuck at the top of the wall. Another fun one was the moat where you had to climb into a raft made of plastic jugs and rope. I made sure to go slow, and hubs took his time to make sure his ankle didn’t slip through the rope holes. I remember grabbing on to climb up at one point and pulling my left shoulder. No biggie, we tredged onward! Closer towards the end, we saw A-framed walls you had to climb over (about 3 of them) but there was a line about 15 minutes long to even get there. We decided [along with a few other Warriors] to go around this one and not stand in line. Next up: Fire!! We held hands through the fire jumps, and made sure to land safe and sound! I’m hoping our photos give proof of the choreographed efforts!
Before we knew it we were Warrior Dash finishers!
I was happy to see that Use-Again was there to take our muddy shoes as donations and we were able to quickly grab our gear and run to the car to chang and wipe off before getting our post-race goodies.
We made sure to pack the usual essentials for mud races:
* Plastic bags-o-plenty for our clothes etc.
* extra clothes
* baby wipes
* towels
* water to rinse off with
* Trader Joe’s Monkey Business trail mix
Sponsoring St. Jude, The Warrior Dash had quite the after party! There was a costume contest, which we didn’t stay for, beer (we got one free), food, refreshments, and live music!
It was definitely a challenge and fun to run a race together – FINALLY – especially without worrying about pace or my Garmin or downing an energy gel.  To boot, the Warrior Dash was supporting St. Jude’s, which holds a special place in hubs’ family’s heart [if that makes sense.] While we didn’t have the chance to fundraise, it was great knowing there was a cause behind the mud!
Immediately afterwards and all weekend, hubs thanked me for this. He said he knew that mud races “weren’t my thing” and that he knew it was hard being patient with him as he went through being hurt and getting back on track – He said he THOROUGHLY enjoyed the Warrior Dash experience with me.
Anytime my love!
It may not be ‘my thing’ but it’s ‘our thing’ 😉
Have you done the Warrior Dash?
Are we still pansies since we didn’t jump into Tough Mudder instead? 😉

February 5, 2013, 12:46 pm

So awesome!!! You two are adorable together. Glad you both had a great time!

February 5, 2013, 1:28 pm

It sounds like you two had so much fun…that’s awesome!!! I’ve never done the Warrior Dash or a mud run…I’m a chicken lol!

February 5, 2013, 5:01 pm

You could totally do it – all those plank a days’ 😉

February 5, 2013, 1:35 pm

Mud and Obstacle 5ks are relationship builders, with spouses, siblings and friends. My sister was SO HOT for her husband after Run For Your Lives – it was hilarious! And I had a lot of fun running with my husband too. We also plan to do Tough Mudder together.

February 5, 2013, 5:02 pm

Haha – Tough Mudder is up there, but maybe next year – I’m pooped from all of these races 😉 – and broke lol

February 5, 2013, 1:47 pm

I love this — sounds like you had a blast and what a great relationship builder!! I did WD 2 years ago with two of my guy friends and LOVED it!! I was still working on my achilles injury, but I really enjoyed being out there. I am planning to do the TM this year….fingers crossed haha 🙂

February 5, 2013, 5:02 pm

Kill it girl! You will love it! – I mean, I’ve done 1/4 of one 😉

February 5, 2013, 2:40 pm

Fun! My hubs isn’t a long distance runner but this is something he wants to do. One day…

February 5, 2013, 3:29 pm

Sounds like alot of fun!!! Glad u both had a blast!

February 5, 2013, 3:45 pm

awwwwwwwwwwww! This looks like a ton of fun! Great pics 🙂 I’m glad you and Gary both had a great time and got what you went for! Awesome day together, great bling, and a TURKEY LEG. 🙂

February 5, 2013, 5:04 pm

We killed that turkey leg – I tried to do it solo at first but then realized I had to share 😉

February 5, 2013, 4:39 pm

How cute are you guys, really!!! Sounds like you had a great time. The hubs has weak ankles from his volleyball days, but plans to do the Neon Run (at night, with glowing stuff) with me, and eventually wants to do a mud run, too.

February 5, 2013, 5:05 pm

You’ll love it – it gets a lot of man-energy out of them LOL

February 5, 2013, 4:56 pm

I have never done a warrior dash but that sounds like a lot of fun!! I think it would be especially fun to do it like you did – as a husband-wife team!!! Now, I just have to convince him that it would be fun!

February 5, 2013, 5:05 pm

Omgoodness he’d love it! All of the testosterone on the playing field was an inch thick LOL

February 5, 2013, 5:03 pm

Awww love all the love on the course! Good job you two!

February 5, 2013, 5:06 pm

Aw thanks Jen 😉 Ah, to be newlyweds right ;op

February 5, 2013, 5:15 pm

I LOVE how you added the list of stuff to bring. I’ve never run a Warrior Dash.

February 5, 2013, 5:32 pm

If you ever do one, those are the essentials- you’d love it!

February 5, 2013, 5:16 pm

Awww you guys are too cute! I LOVE the Warrior Dash. Glad you had fun!

February 5, 2013, 5:20 pm

This made me smile 🙂

February 5, 2013, 5:29 pm

Awwww….I LOVED this! That’s so sweet that you did it together. I’ve never done one. I have an aversion to mud, ha ha ha.

February 5, 2013, 5:39 pm

Haha it’s so fun once you get in there – it makes you feel 5 years old again!

February 5, 2013, 5:44 pm

These are the only type of event my husband will do with me 🙂 We have done the Merrill down and dirty twice and a Spartan….SO FUN!!!

February 5, 2013, 5:45 pm

BTW I was down in your area of thanksgiving and did a 5k in Brandon 🙂 Fishhawk Run

February 5, 2013, 5:48 pm

Yea I’m seeing they’re more his thing than mine, but I’ll go cheer him on any day 😉 OOh cool yea I run there sometimes!

February 5, 2013, 5:50 pm

Never done a WARRIOR dash… I am more of a dainty maiden then a WARRIOR! AHHH HA HA HA HA! I was invited to do TOUGH MUDDER this weekend but yeah, I had to pass because I cannot swim and I am terrified of water! That’s a good excuse, right??? I don’t need to bring down the team!!

February 5, 2013, 6:27 pm

Oh no, and the TM is 12 miles! I was like I can handle a 5k…with obstacles…barely! lol

February 5, 2013, 5:52 pm

That looks like a lot of fun and something awesome to do with your significant other. I can definitely see how it was a relationship builder, and doing different, exciting and down right fun things with the person you love is the best way to not let your relationship get boring. I don’t know about the cold water, but everything else seems pretty cool!

February 5, 2013, 6:28 pm

Yea…and I heard that TM has more swimming in cold water involved…no bueno..I go straight into doggie paddle mode lol!

February 5, 2013, 7:13 pm

Looooved the warrior dash! Way to go running it together! you are rock stars!

February 5, 2013, 8:03 pm

Oh man… you are all on your own with that mess. Obstacles? Can I run around them? Even if it is a mile out and back around them, I’d rather do that.

I like that you took it on and conquered. I am always impressed with folks that go after obstacle courses. Great recap, great job!

February 5, 2013, 8:19 pm

Lol you know when I looked at the results, there were times where peeps finished at a 6:00min/mi – shennanigans?? You could totally do it since you do trails and all 🙂

February 5, 2013, 8:16 pm

So awesome! It’s so great that you two can do this.

February 5, 2013, 8:16 pm

Hubby and I did Spartan Race last year (2012). We did what you did, stayed together the whole time (all 5 hours of it…) and I’m glad we did. I wouldn’t have finished it without him and I’m proud of him for finishing after he broke his tailbone on the slip ‘n slide. We’ve decided these aren’t for us.

February 5, 2013, 8:19 pm

Yea, he’s in love with them now (I think he’s shooting to do Spartan in April here) but I encouraged him to do it with guy friends and I’ll go to cheer 😉

February 5, 2013, 9:00 pm

Great job!! The most important part is that you both had fun! I haven’t done Warrior Dash but I am considering Rogue Runner in June.

February 5, 2013, 10:29 pm

Looks like you had an awesome time!! What a great test to the relationship! 🙂
    I can’t wait for mine in July!!!

February 5, 2013, 10:56 pm

Great Post Kat. I am so happy you both just went out and had fun not worrying about time or nutrition. I have done Warrior Dash in the past, but unfortunately it was after Tough Mudder, so while it was still fun, I felt like it was over way too fast. Congrats on another strong finish! (I like the ‘our thing’ line. It’s fricken adorable.)

February 5, 2013, 11:21 pm

ive never done warrior, but i did the spartan spring last year…. and not sure i would call you a pansy but you should totally do tough mudder! you would love it!

February 5, 2013, 11:53 pm

Congrats on having so much fun and being able to really enjoy this together! It seems a great way to bond and to do relationship building like you said! And isn’t it weird to race and not worry about gels? I brought chomps with me to the 10k and Tori and Genna looked at me like I had two heads. They were like, “yeah…you don’t need those.”

February 6, 2013, 2:38 am

That sounds so fun! Way more my speed than a Tough Mudder…the whole live wires thing just isn’t my thing! 😉 And love the t-shirts-super cute!

February 6, 2013, 3:40 am

James and I did this race together in 2012 and YES it was a total bonding experience! Did they have the junk cars to climb over this year?? We bonded over that one! Sounds like you all had a blast!!

February 6, 2013, 4:07 am

It looks like you had way more fun than the Warrior Dash that I did. It was so unorganized that it wasn’t even fun. Not to mention it was in the triple digits. I won’t do another.

February 6, 2013, 9:28 pm

Holy hot, I’m good just watching him going forward 😉

February 6, 2013, 4:16 am

I love all your pictures! I’ve never done the Warrior Dash, but Mr. rUnladylike and I did the Muddy Buddy last year with Nuun and it was so fun. We had such a great time together and it was super fun to mix it up. Glad you guys enjoyed it! And glad you captured a picture of your turkey leg. Ha!

February 6, 2013, 4:55 am

This was so sweet! I loved reading it. Great job to you and hubs!

February 6, 2013, 10:02 am

Awww, looks like you and the hubs had so much fun! My aunt is actually organizing a mud run team for a race this spring, so I need to blog about it–and ask all the seasoned vets like you for advice. 🙂

February 6, 2013, 12:12 pm

i loved reading this and definitely just said a giant AWWHH!!! at the end. you guys are so cute, and i think that looks like a wonderful time! xxoo

February 6, 2013, 3:43 pm

Looks like a great race and reminds me of when I would go ATVing with my hubby in derby races. We would come home covered in mud after spending a great day of bonding. Great memories! Glad to hear that your hubby’s ankle is doing better as it’s hard to come back after an ankle injury.

February 6, 2013, 9:30 pm

Haha they always like being dirty little boys!

February 6, 2013, 4:59 pm

Looks like such a fun time. Way to go. 🙂

February 6, 2013, 6:18 pm

Great post!! I ran it this year with my wife as well and noticed alot of the same things, we ALSO skipped the 3 A-Frame style obstacle right before the fire…the wait looked like it was a half hour. Tough Mudder in your future? 🙂