I Do, 6 years later: Our Anniversary
From being married, that is!
This weekend I get to go away with hubs and celebrate our FIRST wedding anniversary!
Thanks again Yelp for the win of a free night’s stay at the Ritz Carlton – Sarasota!
LOVE this skirt I found in Myrtle Beach!
Hubs found the cutest outfit for me, again, for our dinner out at the Ritz Beach Club. I buy workout clothes, he’s got the eye for fancy stuff 😉
Hello huge gorgeous bathroom!
I know I talk a lot about hubby on the blog and off, but I have to admit, he’s pretty awesome 😉
Our first year of marriage literally flew by it seems! We’ve learned so much more about each other, and while we still have even more to learn, have grown to love each other that much more too.
What I learned in our first year of marriage:
* Saying “No” doesn’t always work – I have to remind myself I’m a wife, but can’t control everything 😉
* Laugh and laugh often – we were already two goofballs when we met each other, but laughing seems to always make anything and everything better. Especially if we have disagreements, if one of us uses a silly voice or starts to joke with the other we tend to forget what the disagreement was about in the first place.
* Make quality time with each other – Quality/Quality time. Not just watching TV with each other or sitting side by side playing on our phones. We spend a few date nights a week with each other, in the house or out to dinner etc., to catch up and be with one another in conversation and the moment. Working out together, riding bikes together (even if he’s riding and I’m running) are the times that bring us closer together.
* Make quality time for ourselves individually – We got married, but we’re still two individuals. We both have common interests and separate interests. Sometimes we both go off to happy hour with our respective friends or, as I’ve written in the past, I’ve gone on trips with my girlfriends. Absence can really make the heart grow fonder. This time can keep other relationships with friends and family strong too.
* Sometimes we need to hush up and other times we need to open up – communication can be about opening up about feelings and getting things out. Other times, it can be about not saying too much and taking time to reflect before talking. A very delicate balance, I’ve learned. The words you say should have about 5 seconds of thought before they come out – when that doesn’t happen, verbal diarrhea takes place and takes a bit of time to rectify.
* Don’t sweat the small stuff – At the end of the day, neither of us are going anywhere. I can’t control everything even though I’m OCD. Some things I should just let go. Why? Life’s too short to always focus on the small minute stuff. It’s easier said than done, but I’m still working on this. I’d rather take time to relish in the positive happy moments than create an hour long discussion about where things should go and why and end on a negative note.
All in all: Just love each other.
I can’t say enough awesome things about our treatment at the Ritz. Even when we went out for dinner, everyone said “Happy Anniversary” from the valet to the door person to the server and they even treated us with champagne! It’s definitely worth the pretty penny it costs to stay there 😉
Any other advise for those who are newly engaged, to be married, or newlyweds like us? (How long are we considered that for anyway?)