I’ve learned a lot in a year!

From being married, that is!

This weekend I get to go away with hubs and celebrate our FIRST wedding anniversary!

Thanks again Yelp for the win of a free night’s stay at the Ritz Carlton – Sarasota!
LOVE this skirt I found in Myrtle Beach!

Hubs found the cutest outfit for me, again, for our dinner out at the Ritz Beach Club. I buy workout clothes, he’s got the eye for fancy stuff 😉

Hello huge gorgeous bathroom!

I know I talk a lot about hubby on the blog and off, but I have to admit, he’s pretty awesome 😉
Our first year of marriage literally flew by it seems! We’ve learned so much more about each other, and while we still have even more to learn, have grown to love each other that much more too.
What I learned in our first year of marriage:
Saying “No” doesn’t always work – I have to remind myself I’m a wife, but can’t control everything 😉
* Laugh and laugh often – we were already two goofballs when we met each other, but laughing seems to always make anything and everything better. Especially if we have disagreements, if one of us uses a silly voice or starts to joke with the other we tend to forget what the disagreement was about in the first place.
* Make quality time with each other – Quality/Quality time. Not just watching TV with each other or sitting side by side playing on our phones. We spend a few date nights a week with each other, in the house or out to dinner etc., to catch up and be with one another in conversation and the moment. Working out together, riding bikes together (even if he’s riding and I’m running) are the times that bring us closer together.
* Make quality time for ourselves individually – We got married, but we’re still two individuals. We both have common interests and separate interests. Sometimes we both go off to happy hour with our respective friends or, as I’ve written in the past, I’ve gone on trips with my girlfriends. Absence can really make the heart grow fonder. This time can keep other relationships with friends and family strong too.
* Sometimes we need to hush up and other times we need to open up – communication can be about opening up about feelings and getting things out. Other times, it can be about not saying too much and taking time to reflect before talking. A very delicate balance, I’ve learned. The words you say should have about 5 seconds of thought before they come out – when that doesn’t happen, verbal diarrhea takes place and takes a bit of time to rectify.
* Don’t sweat the small stuff – At the end of the day, neither of us are going anywhere. I can’t control everything even though I’m OCD. Some things I should just let go. Why? Life’s too short to always focus on the small minute stuff. It’s easier said than done, but I’m still working on this. I’d rather take time to relish in the positive happy moments than create an hour long discussion about where things should go and why and end on a negative note.
All in all: Just love each other.

I can’t say enough awesome things about our treatment at the Ritz. Even when we went out for dinner, everyone said “Happy Anniversary” from the valet to the door person to the server and they even treated us with champagne! It’s definitely worth the pretty penny it costs to stay there 😉

Any other advise for those who are newly engaged, to be married, or newlyweds like us? (How long are we considered that for anyway?)

May 6, 2013, 11:52 am

OOOH I LOVE THIS.
    I learned so much early on—and 17 years later I seem to need to relearn those lessons 🙂

May 6, 2013, 11:56 am

Happy Anniversary, Kat! Love your advice. I definitely agree with the communication and not sweating the small stuff; those are two very important tips and it took pretty much the entire first year of marriage for me to get this 🙂

May 6, 2013, 11:56 am

You learned in a year what it took me 23. You and Gary are so lucky to have each other, and I wish only love, health, happiness and success for both of you.

May 6, 2013, 12:00 pm

LOVE IT!!!

May 6, 2013, 12:07 pm

Aww! You two are just soooo cute! Happy Anniversary!!!

May 6, 2013, 12:22 pm

Those are all great points! After 6 years of marriage I can say that they all work 🙂

May 6, 2013, 12:41 pm

Sweet post. Love the photos, especially the last one!

May 6, 2013, 12:53 pm

I love how your hubby buys you outfits. That is really cute. I am glad that you had a such a wonderful anniversary.

May 6, 2013, 1:30 pm

He loves being called my personal shopper…;) Thanks Tasha!

May 6, 2013, 2:05 pm

He definitely has an eye for great clothes! Occasionally Mike surprises me with things he says he likes (for me) when he is sooo not fashionable – even with his own clothes LOL

May 6, 2013, 1:07 pm

Happy 1st Anniversary! I’m glad you two were able to get away and enjoy each other 🙂 Love your lessons – they continue on well past the first year!

May 6, 2013, 1:34 pm

Happy Anniversary!! Sounds like a really wonderful weekend. And your lessons? Still hold true and I feel like I’m constantly re-learning them as our life moves and evolves. We’re going on 10 years this October. Yikes!! 🙂

And that wedding photo at the end? Stunning!

May 6, 2013, 1:50 pm

I LOVE this! Congrats to you guys! And that picture at the end is SUPER cute!

May 6, 2013, 2:10 pm

I think that all of your tips and advice are just wonderful! love them!! I am so glad you’ve had such a great first year of marriage, and im glad you could enjoy it in style!! ;o) love you much and congrats again on your anniversary!! I know i’ll be taking all those tips to heart on day when I am married! xo

May 6, 2013, 2:13 pm

Awww…happy anniversary! love your lessons from the past year. You guys are an adorable couple (and love that skirt).

May 6, 2013, 2:53 pm

Congratulations! I am obsessed with that bathroom. This post is beautiful and very insightful. You really nailed the key things that most never learn in a relationship and that is why most couples aren’t successful but you two seem to have an amazing marriage and I could wish you all the best but I think you guys already have that 🙂

May 6, 2013, 3:41 pm

Happy Anniversary to you both! Marriage is so much fun, and work, but worth every moment.

May 6, 2013, 4:27 pm

Congrats! The picture at the end is so cute. I love that you include having your own lives. I’ve only had a couple of friends who actually understood the idea of keeping your own friends and life in a relationship, but its so important to have some time to yourself to spend alone or with family or friends t keep your relationship strong.

May 6, 2013, 4:30 pm

Happy Anniversary! I think every year brings on new challenges and things to learn. After almost 11 years we still have to check back in with the basic rules!

May 6, 2013, 4:44 pm

Happy Anniversary! I remember the first year just flew by… This year hubby and I will celebrate 12 years (HOLY COW!!) and we are still learning things. I think you continue to grow year after year. There will always be ups and downs so it’s all about how you handle them and remember what’s important. Wishing you many many more!

May 6, 2013, 5:43 pm

Happy Anniversary, cheers to MANY MANY MORE!

May 6, 2013, 5:57 pm

Happy anniversary! Those are all great lessons, and they’re things that we’re learning now too.

May 6, 2013, 8:18 pm

You guys are so cute 🙂 Happy first anniversary — and here’s to many more!!

Just keep celebrating the small moments — that’s what you remember in the long run 🙂

May 6, 2013, 8:55 pm

Congratulations! You are so right all your points. Great advice! I think it’s very important to laugh. Laughter at the stupid things in life cures so much. Also, having fitness in common is awesome. I wish you all the best: )

May 6, 2013, 10:33 pm

Aww happy anniversary! Time does fly. Glad you are cherishing your moments together!

May 6, 2013, 11:00 pm

You tow are such a fabulous couple. I look forward to actually getting to meet you both at MCM!

May 6, 2013, 11:36 pm

I’m getting married in two months so this was perfect timing! You two are adorable! I’m so glad you had such a fun getaway!

May 7, 2013, 3:01 am

I think you guys are the most adorable couple! It just makes me happy to see you two together and read about your relationship. Happy anniversary!

May 7, 2013, 4:22 am

I love your first lesson. I am still reminding myself of that. Happy Anniversary!

May 7, 2013, 12:56 pm

You two are absolutely adorable! Happy belated anniversary!

May 7, 2013, 3:44 pm

Awesome advice! Can’t remember the last time Hubby and I did something alone, without the kids – that is not a good thing either but hey, we have made it going on 15 years now!

Biggest advice is do not let the other person’s actions drive your emotions and don’t try to always do everything for them. Silly, I know but this am Hubby had to be at Jury Duty by 8:30. When I came home from my run at 7:20 he was sitting there opening mail, um ok. In the past I would have gotten myself all worked up that he will be late, but you know what? He can deal with it and it does not affect me at all.

Here’s to a zillion more years together! Happy Anniversary!

May 7, 2013, 4:12 pm

Thanks Lisa! You’re SO SO right! I started letting that go and it definitely helps me stress out only about the stuff I can control 😉

May 7, 2013, 8:30 pm

Happy Anniversary chica! You all are too cute. Wish you many many more years of happiness!

May 8, 2013, 12:54 am

Congrats on your first year of marriage! I really appreciate you sharing your reflections on your first year. I think they can apply to any relationship, and its great perspective to think about 🙂

May 8, 2013, 2:04 am

Happy Anniversary! :0 That’s cute that your husband picks out your clothes. I have to say he has great taste! :0 My husband needs to hang out with him and learn from him. 🙂 LOL!

May 8, 2013, 5:46 pm

My wife and I got married on May 5th as well and we had a great short getaway to the San Antonio hill country this last weekend. Glad you had a great weekend and happy anniversary! Chris

May 12, 2013, 1:02 pm

Congrats!!! Wonderful post! I’m getting married in less than 2 weeks and love all advice!