The Countdown to Marine Corps Marathon has begun!

WHAT A WEEK AT Fitbloggin – As many of you know (if you catch up with me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram) my flight ended up being so delayed that I ended up having to stay an extra day in Portland. Good thing I took off Monday! My lovely pal and roomie Shannyn stayed with me and we explored Portland for another day – no bigs!

Best roomie ever!

We’ll just DRINK ALL THE BEERS!

I have SO SO SO much to recap from my weekend in Portland with my awesome friends are Fitbloggin. I worked out a ton. I met a ton of awesome people. I miss them all so dearly already. Those posts need to come together and will soon!

But time to get back to the grind right?!

Marine Corps Marathon Training has officially begun!

I’m on a 16 week plan – scratch that – 16 week JOURNEY to help me get to my first FULL Marathon!

I’ve decided to enlist some expert help in this so that I stay focused, on track, [hopefully] uninjured, all while incorporating my beloved crosstraining along with running days!

This lady will coach me there:

Well, not the cartoon version, but the real lady behind the speedy cartoon 😉
That’s right, my friend Amanda, who blogs over at Miss Zippy is a mom, writer, AND RRCA certified running coach.She’s completed an Ironman, nine marathons, and literally hundreds of races of every distance and wants to still do an ultra as well as hit a few personal time goals. She’s committed to natural running & believes in strong feet and less shoe.

I’ve been chatting back and forth with Amanda for some time and after seeing her experience with racing, vast knowledge of running, along with her solid understanding of crosstraining and the role it plays with racing and training, I knew I had to have her in my corner as my marathon run coach!

I will also be adding her Button [once I can access a pc vs. use my ipad to blog] to my right sidebar too, by the way, in case you are interested in her coaching services!

Truthfully, I know she’s not my only support – that’s a given. I have a ton of running [& non-running] friends who answer my million questions and listen to me vent and rave about training. My Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram feeds alone get me pumped up and ready to go – even my friends I haven’t met yet IRL are a wealth of knowledge and support! I have the most understanding family who lets me tip-toe out early to go run or workout and encourages me to keep going.

I AM READY. 26.2, I’m coming for you!

Amanda had me build up to a base of a 12-mile long run, which I will do this coming weekend, and I’ve completed a some time trial to see where my starting point was before creating my plan. She’s been nothing but supportive and answered my 100 questions that mostly came from anxiety about the marathon. I have the utmost confidence she’ll get me to the marathon healthy and ready!

So, when I do my weekly Sunday (normally that day of the week) posts to recap my Weekly Workouts Roundup I’ll be sure to note how Marathon Training is going and update you guys on my progress. You’ve all been on my Half Fanatics journey with me and have even supported me to be able to run Marine Corps.

I will do my best to make you proud 😉

Anyone else kicking off marathon training season??
Your best advise for me?

July 1, 2013, 12:13 pm

well.
    you know me.
    IVE GOTS NO RUNNING ADVICE but did feel compelled to say how FANTASTIC it was to finally meet you in person.

xo

July 1, 2013, 12:25 pm

woo hoo! I’m excited now that training has started. I had a good week ramping back up last week, and ready to tackle the next 16! Still can’t believe we’ll be running MCM….

July 1, 2013, 12:28 pm

Yay Kat – so excited for you! You’re going to do awesome and what a great choice of coaches 🙂

July 1, 2013, 12:35 pm

How exciting to be starting the journey. I hope you have a smooth day of flying. I’m sure you’re more than ready to be home now.

July 1, 2013, 12:53 pm

All the best with your training and YOUR COACH! MCM is a fantastic race and I’ll bet MZ will have you well up to the task!

July 1, 2013, 1:01 pm

Amanda is awesome!! So glad she’ll be coaching you! And I can’t wait to hear more about Fitbloggin!

July 1, 2013, 1:03 pm

Finally!!! Im excited to support u on this awesome journey to ur first marathon:) still a few weeks til i start.. ur gonna do great! I have no doubt!

July 1, 2013, 1:11 pm

Watch out, MCM–Kat is coming and taking no prisoners!

July 1, 2013, 1:39 pm

I love that you called it a journey! You always seem soooo positive. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

July 1, 2013, 1:45 pm

I’m excited for you and to be working alongside you to get you there! It’s going to be an awesome journey and you’ll love the experience. Thanks for all the nice plugs.

Can’t wait to hear about Fitbloggin, too!

July 1, 2013, 1:53 pm

Yay Kat! You’re going to do great with your training! Amanda is an awesome coach!

July 1, 2013, 2:24 pm

You are awesome and it was a blast rooming with you! I woke up at 6:30 thinking it was still early and you were gone and I was genuinely sad like a total dork!

I’m thinking that I may need to get more hands on training and support for my first full marathon in November. I’m using the the guide in Runner’s World but I’m a bit nervous!

So fabulous meeting you in person..I think I’ve recovered from the voodoo overdose! haha!

July 1, 2013, 3:20 pm

So cool that not only are you going to run a marathon but now you have an awesome coach!!! I think teaming up with Miss Zippy would be incredible!!!

July 1, 2013, 3:27 pm

No advice since I haven’t run one yet, but good luck with your training!

July 1, 2013, 3:45 pm

So excited for you and I can’t wait to follow along! My biggest piece of advice is to enjoy the journey – relish the awesome runs, learn from the crappy ones, and just know how much better you’re making yourself for it. And at the end, then you get to join the 1%-of-the-world club! 🙂

July 1, 2013, 4:00 pm

You’re gonna ROCK MCM!!! I just started week 2 of training. So exciting!

July 1, 2013, 4:10 pm

You will do fabulous Kat. You are dedicated and have a wonderful support network and when you don’t feel like doing your workout, just post and someone will kick your behind out the door over the internet!

July 1, 2013, 4:33 pm

Wow, good luck to you with marathon training! I just started a couple of weeks ago too for the October Hartford marathon (which will be my 4th marathon). Just do what your coach says, get a lot of sleep, and eat high-quality foods. Those loooooong runs can be tough so if you have a friend who can run part with you (preferably the last part) that will help a lot. Use your long runs to experiment with what works with gear, fuel, etc. Good luck!

July 1, 2013, 5:12 pm

good luck! i just completed my request for a transfer. but i live in the area and would still love to meet up when yall are here for the marathon and i can even show you around the Natural History museum as that is where i work!

looking forward to meeting you. very sad i am not going on this journey with you.

July 1, 2013, 6:14 pm

Good luck, can’t wait to read about your journey!

July 1, 2013, 6:14 pm

Amanda is amazing! Great choice for a coach. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

July 1, 2013, 6:21 pm

Good luck! You’re already a running beast, I’m sure the marathon will be great for you. I look forward to reading all about it!

I’m currently training for half marathon #2. Maybe I’ll make it up to a full one of these days.

July 1, 2013, 8:58 pm

You are gonna ROCK IT!!
    And all your fibloggin pic made me soooo jealous!! AMAZING

July 1, 2013, 9:36 pm

Can’t wait to read your Fitbloggin recaps. You’re going to do great with your marathon training and I’ll be following along with that. I am seriously contemplating doing a full, so we’ll see. Good luck!!

July 1, 2013, 9:40 pm

Woohoo! Good luck! A word of advice: Body Glide is your friend!!

July 1, 2013, 10:50 pm

Ummmmmmmmmmm, good luck! 😉 No marathoning for me!!!! I really never had the want to do it & now my bad feet will not let me anyway.. good thing cause I might have tried to talk myself into one day! 😉

Sorry I did not get to meet you in person!

July 2, 2013, 1:34 am

Training for your first marathon (or any marathon) is a journey. I love Amanda and I know that she will be a great coach and support system for you. Let the fun begin!

July 2, 2013, 4:57 am

I have also enlisted a coach to help prepare me for MCM!! Although I know I have my whole world in my corner, having had a running coach for the past 2 months and as i continue to prepare, helps me feel more confident in my ability and in preparing for my first marathon! I can’t wait for October to come and to get to run with the most amazing women! I am so excited to share my first marathon experience with you 🙂

July 2, 2013, 7:00 pm

Wow! That is an awesome goal to undertake and it looks like you are already on the right track. Wish I could offer you advice but that is definitely out of my league! good luck though!!

July 2, 2013, 10:48 pm

I have zero doubt that you’ll annihilate your training program. By the by: where did you end up for dinner on your last night in Portland?