Day 25 – #AugustCoreFocus Challenge + Marathon Training Week 8

Time to recap Week 8 of marathon training! My first injury kept the miles low this week….

Continue to link up with Meghan & I as we recap our workouts for the week in a Weekly Workouts Roundup! It can be any day and not necessarily Sunday also!

Week of 8/18/2013
8/18- rest and recovery for the foot
8/19- Arms cardio circuit and light biking
8/20– Spin class and arms circuit

8/21- Run attempt post-foot-injury (3 miles super easy)
8/22 – 5 mile easy run (inside and outside)

8/23active rest day – lots of stretching and some walking
8/24 –14 mile long run (taper + recovering still pre-Disneyland weekend)
22 total miles + circuit training

I’ve eluded to my foot injury off and on this week, trying to not think of it as being too big of a deal – I have races coming up that I don’t want to jeopardize. Right after the run last Saturday I talked to my LMT and coach and both suggested a couple of days off from running. Okie dokie. I didn’t do anything the Sunday after, circuit trained Monday, and did the same Tuesday. Wednesday I attempted an easy 3 mile run. Which stunk. The first mile hurt like the dickens, and by the time I warmed up I was already too frustrated. I couldn’t be more thankful for coach’s support as she reminds me this is all NEW to my body – to be forgiving of it. With Disney around the corner, I set out to attempt another run Thursday, easy 4-5 miles. Those went MUCH better. I warmed up my foot in an Epsom bath and did more warm-up movements beforehand. Friday I rested, completely, and talked to coach about doing 10-14 Saturday. I explained to my partner, Kris, I’d be super slow – she had 20 herself and has always been great to match paces as our long runs should always be slow [vs us attempting to speed them up.] So, we set out for a local 14 mile run Saturday morning. I’m not going to lie, there were rough spots. She’d ask me if it hurt and it didn’t necessarily hurt as much as it was annoying – I was being very ginger to not step wrong. Also, it was so hot and humid. We’re both so over summer training in Florida but it’s motivation to know our marathons are in the Fall. A slow and easy 14 miles was accomplished and I couldn’t ask for more 🙂

Now, on to a taper week pre-Disneyland Half Weekend-vacation time!

Today’s #AugustCoreFocus movement for 8/25/13: Pointy Table Top

Start off in a ‘table top’ position with arms straight and hands on the floor, legs bent at 90 degrees with shins on the floor and feet flexed. Reach up one arm along with its opposing leg to balance and hold for at least 2 seconds, then tap the floor with that same hand and opposing foot before coming back to starting position. Alternate arms and that opposing leg, lifting up to hold for 2 seconds (using a core contraction and balance) then tapping the floor with that hand and opposing foot, coming back to starting position.
Time/Interval: Alternate getting 10 reps on each side, for up to 10 sets of these

Keys to an effective Pointy Table Top:
– Keep the back in neutral alignment
– Work on using the core to bring up the arm and opposing leg to balance
– Look down at a spot on the floor to help balance and stay even
– Don’t rush, the slower pace, then hold, will help engage the core

If you are unable to do this movement and need a regression, feel free to do Marches or Plank instead. There isn’t really a progression for this movement, you can feel free to continue to add sets should you want more of a challenge.

How has your week in workouts been??
Has an injury put a bump in your journey before?

August 25, 2013, 11:53 am

A bump in my journey now. Ugh! Fortunately it’s not as bad as initially thought so I won’t be out as long as I feared. Just this morning I’ve been rethinking my goals. With not running for about 5 weeks do I need to change them? Probably a little 🙂

I so hope your foot pain is nothing major!

August 25, 2013, 12:10 pm

It was Week 1 of my half marathon training and it went very well. Excited to join in your Weekly Workouts Roundup!

August 25, 2013, 12:48 pm

It has… knee pain caused me to drop out of the very first marathon I signed up for, and last year I had some shin stress but thankfully had a smooth marathon cycle. Hoping you’ll bounce back with no problem!

August 25, 2013, 8:38 pm

Oh no I hope that doesn’t happen to me :/ I’m going to get it checked this week…warms up during the day but stiff in the am

August 25, 2013, 12:58 pm

Yes I had a knee injury last fall during marathon training for Disney. I couldn’t run for a total two weeks…which is not good when you’re training for a marathon. Thank goodness it was a Disney race and one that I wasn’t planning to PR but to just have fun. And that’s what I did! Hope the foot heals quickly girl!

August 25, 2013, 2:53 pm

Knock on wood I haven’t had major injury issues BUT the second I feel any type of pain or weirdness I take some time off. Hope you bounce back quickly!

August 25, 2013, 2:53 pm

I’m glad you made it through! And congrats on making it to taper week! Continue to train smart 🙂

August 25, 2013, 3:37 pm

Tart Cherry juice for any inflammation in the foot. I love roling w/that little ball: Rubz. Stretch out & roll the calves – they could be tight & messing w/ur kinetic chain. Feel better!

August 25, 2013, 5:57 pm

Might have been a quiet week for you Kat, but for most people that would be a kill! Great job and see you soon!

August 25, 2013, 7:32 pm

Boo, injuries are the worst. On the bright side, tapering/taking it easy this week should help, right?

August 25, 2013, 8:01 pm

I sprained my foot falling down the stairs Friday. It’s definitely set me back from my own marathon training. And I have Ragnar in less than a month So I can definitely relate to your troubles. Here’s hoping we both recover sooner than later. Good Luck Girly.

August 25, 2013, 8:01 pm

I am nursing a tweaked neck. 🙁 Hoping to get back into it next week.

August 25, 2013, 11:00 pm

I hope the foot pain goes away. Good luck at your upcoming race!!

So far so good this training season for me. I haven’t had any nagging injury pain. Hopefully that doesn’t change.

August 26, 2013, 1:27 am

Oh no! Hope your foot problem resolves soon!

August 26, 2013, 2:25 am

Happy that you got in 14 miles. Just remember to take it easy. 🙂

June 7, 2015, 4:21 pm

With all our electric battery driven power tools it’s yet another thing who
    could fail. However i did find a way which you can fix dead battery packs.
    Rolland recently posted…RollandMy Profile

June 8, 2015, 7:58 am

I go to college in Canada and we just now are learning about this in class.
    Thanks for helping me with the last little bit of my report.
    free project tv recently posted…free project tvMy Profile

November 13, 2016, 5:44 pm

Am in need of money and thinking that one of the best options is to sell some of my old stuff in the house as well as my personal belongings. Am a type of person who keeps old stuff for sentimental value. But every time I attempt to dispose it I feel guilty/sad thinking that I might still need it in the future. Old stuff already piled up and my house looks like a junkhouse. Please help!