Days 23 & 24 – #AugustCoreFocus + #FFTech thoughts

TGIF ya’ll! That also means REST day – which isn’t any different than the first few days of my week this week with this pesky foot issue but I’ll welcome it nonetheless 😉

As I rest, I tend to reflect on how I am much I dig technology- I know it’s great to unplug now and again but there’s a reason I dig it so much!

It keeps me connected – to everyone and everything!

Yes, I’m on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook – you name it and I’m probably on that social media channel. I find comfort at coffee shops, around friends who do the same behavior, and particularly at blogger get -togethers when I’m not the only one checking up on things going on with people I now.

I’ve said this before, but I wouldn’t be where I am without this Virtual Connection I have with many of you! I thrive off of the support and check ins from people I haven’t even met yet! (or I end up meeting, and then we’re besties – which can lead to a ton of trouble 😉 It keeps me motivated and also keeps my head up during days when I’m not feeling my best and need a little umph.

My blend, Abby, sent me this as motivation for me training for the Marine Corps Marathon with her – virtually. It means the world she took the time to do that.

Told ya, we meet- we get a little cray

Blends, met in real life, now sistas

We’re huggy in person

Even with those I know, I feel connected to their lives and what’s going on through photos on all social medial channels. I hear about engagements, weddings, babies, upcoming races, weight loss successes – all with virtual connections.

Heck, Hubs and I even ‘first spoke’ on Facebook after seeing each other in the gym, we’re not shy people – but we were chicken.

For me, it’s similar to a virtual scrapbook of memories whether it’s my blog or Facebook or Twitter or Instagram. I feel in the moment with others like I hadn’t before all of this technology came about – and, yes, I remember having to use the Dewie Decimal system. I work to balance ‘real life’ and my connections online, there is a way to handle the two. I’m embracing the times, because technology will only continue to evolve – and I want to be in the thick of it! {End reflection time}

Yup, it’s a rest day – but nothing like a little core work to close out the week!

Today’s #AugustCoreFocus movement for 8/23/13: Boat pose

Time to find our inner yogi 😉 Sit on on your bottom with legs out in front of you, straight. Slowly lift your legs up to the highest angle you can handle, as the upper part of your body leans back to balance on your sits bones. Use your arms as leverage to balance and try to bring them out towards your feet. Balance here using your core as it stays engaged.
Time/Interval: Hold for as long as you can (i.e. 30-60 seconds) and repeat for desired total interval
Tips for an effective Boat Pose:
-Stare up at your feet to remain balanced
– Try to be right on your sits bones, not your lower back
– Arms can come out to the sides if needed to help balance
– Poof your chest out so that you don’t hunch your back
To regress the movement, lift the legs only a few inches off of the floor and increase height to continue to progress the pose.

Tomorrow’s #AugustCoreFocus movement for 8/24/13: Ceiling Toe Touches

This one will work both your core and your legs! Lay on your back with your arms to your sides, palms down for support. Point both of your feet in the air with legs straight up, body at a 90 degree angle. Legs will lower one at a time – lower the left leg using your core and upper leg muscles, then bring it back to straight position. Alternate to the right side Each time, try to bring the leg up and point your toes to the ceiling. Adductor/Abductor/lower core burn!
Time/Interval: 50 seconds of work (medium tempo) with 10 seconds of rest, tabata style, personal preference
Tips for an effective Ceiling Tow Touches:
-Keep your upper body immobile
– Use your hands as leverage with the palms facing down
– Don’t touch the floor each time to the side, keep it a few inches off of the ground
To regress this movement, you can keep your legs at a less-than 90-degree angle and progress the move by pausing longer when the foot is out to the side of the body and hold it there using the legs and core for stability.

Again, our #AugustCoreFocus challenge details are in a tab above on the blog or you can also visit the Challenge loop site HERE!

How do you feel in regards to staying connected with technology?
For #AugustCoreFocus peeps: feeling a difference yet?

August 23, 2013, 12:14 pm

uhhh i love technology! 🙂 i love being connected to friends, family, and the rest of the world in an instant!

August 23, 2013, 12:38 pm

I hope the foot gets better Kat! I LOVE technology! I couldn’t live without my iphone lol!

August 23, 2013, 12:43 pm

I love rest days!!! I lived for them during marathon training. 🙂
    Technology is a pretty cool thing. I do get tired of social media- not going to lie. I have so many things going on that social media is the last thing I need to worry about.

August 23, 2013, 12:47 pm

I have no idea what I did with all of my time before smart phones and Facebook. 😉
    I love keeping track of the goings on in social media. It’s great to feel a connection to people I’d never “know” if there was no social media.

August 23, 2013, 1:01 pm

What did we do before the Internet?! But really. I love social media–being plugged in and in-the-know, making connections, etc. It would be tough to go tech-free for 24 hours. 😉

August 23, 2013, 1:20 pm

I’m with Carrie – what did we do before the internet. I know that I’d drive my husband crazy(er) with all my food/fitness babble if I didn’t have friends like you to share it all with!

Love these two moves, btw. Ready to get it done.

August 23, 2013, 1:26 pm

Technology does make a huge difference in our lives, doesn’t it? I’ve connected with so many interesting people this way. Odd to remember a time when we didn’t have it!

August 23, 2013, 1:53 pm

It is funny how hard it is to remember what we did before all this technology became available!

August 23, 2013, 2:34 pm

I love the internet and the support network it provides. It is great to have a running community online since I train by myself. Good luck with your foot!

August 23, 2013, 3:03 pm

Love technology and all the new friends I have made through blogging and the online running community. If you do it right you can have the best of both worlds (tech vs IRL). 🙂 Hope your foot feels better!!

August 23, 2013, 4:33 pm

Thanks for all the awesome tips!!!!! Love your positive energy!

August 23, 2013, 4:56 pm

I’m currently in a love/hate relationship with technology. I love it for its convenience to stay in touch with the people I care about and I hate it for the convenience it allows people I would rather not stay in touch with see what’s going on in my life. Ha!

I hope your foot starts getting it’s act together, no one likes a bum foot, you hear that Kat’s foot?!?!??

August 23, 2013, 5:00 pm

Technology keeps me connected with everyone….It also connects me to amazing people like yourself 🙂

August 23, 2013, 8:10 pm

It’s amazing how the world has changed with technology! I don’t think about it until my kids ask me stuff like, “What’s a pager?” LOL

August 23, 2013, 10:21 pm

Happy rest day today! 🙂 I love the techie world! It was awesome meeting people who also loves what I do.

It was great meeting you in the blogging world!!! :))

August 23, 2013, 11:35 pm

It’s crazy to think how much technology has become a part of our lives. Usually the negative is highlighted but I think the positive definitely outweighs it. Just the connections alone are huge!

August 23, 2013, 11:51 pm

hahaha… great to see familiar faces in your photos. Just think, in a week it will be US!

August 24, 2013, 5:40 pm

My sister and her husband met on Match.com!!! I say, WHY NOT – if it works! However, you need to have a GOOD SCREENING PROCESS in order to make sure the people are OKAY. For instance, if you wanted to me meet, yeah, not so sure about that – LMFAOOOOO JKJK! You’re actually probably thinking that about ME!

August 24, 2013, 10:04 pm

Love blends! Can’t wait to meet you soon!