Finally finished my Marathon Playlist!

Hello from Maryland!

We got here yesterday afternoon and have been able to enjoy come DIFFERENT (hello, 39 degrees this morning! – friends coming from other states come prepared for a COLD race morning!) weather and great eats that we can only get up here and not at home!

To back up a sec, I had to share the awesomeness that happened when I left work to start our racecation on Tuesday…

My awesome team at work not only decorated my desk, but freaked me out (in a great way!) when they all held race signs they’d made for me as I left for the week to wish me luck! Ah! What an inspiring way to leave and have them make me want to make them PROUD!

I know I’ve taken some advise from friends like Pavement Runner to help me prepare and get ready for the Marathon with a hefty Playlist! I wanted to be sure to have at least 5 hours of music to keep me going – steadily getting faster (to not go out too quickly) and to keep me happy and smiling should I not have the fire of spectators in my mist.

My taste [as you’ll see] in music is varied – UBER varied. I love old school, new school, and everything in between pretty much. As long as it’s upbeat and gets me moving, I’m game!

Hmm…lots of ‘explicit’ stuff huh – oops.
We ended up watching the TLC “CrazySexyCool” VH1 special that triggered me wanting some old school to keep me lively in the beginning but not going out too fast. Everything else is just a mixture of music I like right now – there’s no rhyme or reason really – I tend to group bands/groups together and shoot for the songs to be 130+ BPMs.
It ’tis donnnnnnee!!
What songs are on your race playlist?

We’re off to the Expo today & I get to meet coach and do a run in Centennial Park – yay!

October 24, 2013, 11:30 am

I am going to have to spend some time (and money!) on iTunes with that playlist! Yes, it will be COLD before the MCM but it will warm up quickly as soon as the sun comes out. It should be perfect running weather — at least the way I like it!

October 24, 2013, 11:38 am

sometimes they have deals on albums and songs too! I definitely warm up as I run so am GRATEFUL for this weather!

October 24, 2013, 11:32 am

Ahh…it’s getting so close. enjoy your time in DC and especially the race. You are ready and now your playlist is ready.

October 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the playlist ideas, though I’m far from ready for a full 26.2! But during my runs, I time it so that just when I’m getting tired, Kelly Clarkson sings “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger.” Then I follow that up with “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough!” As I enter the last leg of the run, I find renewed strength in listening to movie theme songs that make me feel like a powerful superhero … Rocky, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Superman. I pretend that I’m all powerful and nothing, NOTHING can bring me down!

October 24, 2013, 12:34 pm

Ummm your co-workers are AMAZING!!! Good luck girlie! You are gonna rock it! Definitely stealing some of these songs for next weekend!

October 24, 2013, 1:12 pm

Love the playlist! Nice picks! I have a eclectic mix too. I like to mix it up while I run. Good luck to you! YOU GOT THIS! Trust the training!

October 24, 2013, 1:15 pm

Have a great race Katrina, I use Pandora at the gym (I don’t marathon, I treadmill it) lol but I like the old school hip hop to get me moving & motivated. When my son played football he would say, sometimes you just have to get cussed out to get that last push so it doesn’t surprise me to see some explicit stuff on a list to give you that extra push. I actually like being “cussed out” by Emimen so he’s heavy in my playlist. 🙂 “Run like you stole something”, can’t wait to hear how you feel when its done

October 25, 2013, 12:25 am

haha – I’ll be sure to give an honest recap – thank you!

October 24, 2013, 1:52 pm

I’m the worst with playlists, never make them anymore so I love your ideas. Seriously your co-workers are FANFREAKINTATSTICAL!!!!!

October 24, 2013, 2:45 pm

Welcome to DC! Race weather should be perfect 🙂 Thanks for sharing your playlist — I’m working on creating my Richmond Marathon playlist now. Have a great race!

October 24, 2013, 2:58 pm

Just send me this playlist!! lol. I def need to download some of those songs especially Work bitch! I just added What about your friends to mine after watching the movie! Had forgot abt that one! Best of luck on your race!

October 24, 2013, 3:12 pm

OO great play list! I usually let pandora do all the dirty work for me depending on my mood.

October 24, 2013, 4:17 pm

I love iTunes radio, it’s like Pandora and lets you save favorites to get later!

October 24, 2013, 5:03 pm

Enjoy DC! Love it there! I like cheese ball 80’s songs. Think “The Safety Dance”. lol And old school rap, i.e. Paperboy, Naughty by Nature

October 24, 2013, 5:47 pm

I am so stealing some of these songs. 2 more days!!!

October 24, 2013, 7:21 pm

good luck to you as well Natalie!!!

October 24, 2013, 7:21 pm

your playlist looks awesome! i like that you have an eclectic taste! (side note, what your team at work did for you before you left is AWESOME!) also, glad you got to meet your coach! Sorry I will miss you today. I got dumped on at work. Hoping to meet up with you while youre here! Enjoy the expo!!!

October 24, 2013, 7:58 pm

Looks great! I love Britney’s new song. Have the bestest time ever and soak it all up. DC is such a fun place. And don’t be turned off by the subway cluster at the finish. The line moves VERY quickly. Maybe it was a super cluster last year because everyone was racing out to dodge Hurricane Sandy.

October 24, 2013, 8:10 pm

I’m all about Macklemore’s “Victory Lap” 😀

October 24, 2013, 8:18 pm

That’s how I structure playlists too–start will slow, chill songs and gradually add high-energy (er, explicit?) tunes. 🙂 Sending positive and fast thoughts your way!

October 24, 2013, 9:38 pm

LOve love love! YOu are going to have to hook it up with some Krewella…

On another note… super duper excited for ya kid. Trust in your training and start out comfortable. Dont get all excited when your first 18 miles go really well. It’s all about how you play 19-23. Stay on pace and if you fall behind on pace, don’t try to make it up… just get back into when you need to be and stay there.

October 24, 2013, 11:03 pm

I feel so lame. Didn’t change my iPad at all. About 200 songs with everything from Explicit Rap (we are bad) to slow country… some may get skipped.

October 24, 2013, 11:43 pm

Enjoy!!! I am thinking how long that list is & how I never want to do a marathon! 😉

October 25, 2013, 12:23 am

I looooove this list! Inspiring me to make a new one. I haven’t made one in a while.

How sweet are your coworkers?!? That’s amazing.

October 25, 2013, 12:31 am

Miss Jackson by Panic! add it asap. Good luck lady!

October 25, 2013, 12:29 pm

Awesome list girlie!!! Your explicits aren’t that bad… Where’s the 2Live Crew LOL!!! 🙂 I’ll be thinking about you! Love ya!!!

October 25, 2013, 4:05 pm

Good luck! Good luck! Good luck this weekend!!! I’m so excited for you! Awesome playlist and have fun! Can’t wait to hear about it all.

October 25, 2013, 5:36 pm

Definitely some great songs! I listen to Fireflight a lot when I run, they have some great songs to push you…look up fireflight “unbreakable”