Taper Head: Thoughts & Dedicating Miles

I have actually ENJOYED taking some down time to not only rest from training, but also let the shin splints on my left leg heal before time to crank it out at MCM as best I can. I did have a slight tickle in my throat after Saturday, and chocked it up to being around too much smoke at Saturday’s show and/or the usual crazy things that can happen during Marathon Taper.
My mind has also been a-buzz with oodles of thoughts that I try to drown out with reading and reality TV…so I guess I have a slight case of the ‘Taper Crazies’? Inside my taper head:
I still have a ton of packing to do…I want chocolate….Will my shin be okay in time?
Ugh, that’s going to suuuuuck if I get my ‘monthly friend’ at the marathon!
How amazing is this going to be with the awesome spectators?!
Will we get lost on the Metro? ….. Mmm. Beer.
No Cross Training this week?? None?!  What vacations do we have coming up afterward?
If the weather is in the 50s, what should I wear?    Oh, yea, make sure you pack ‘throw-aways!”
Crap – where are my long sleeve shirts….I really need to finish these fitness certs
What time did I make my eye appointment for again?  Oh! I need to sew on stuff for my race-day outfit – shoot!
To combat my fidgetiness, I’ve also found some solace in prepping for the big day!

Buying ALL of the gluten free snack bars!

I asked some friends [in person, and on handy-dandy Facebook] which miles they’d like me to dedicate to them and have all of my 26.2 miles done! I am going to write them down on my arm (yay Sharpies!) so that I can remember that this race isn’t just about me – it’s about all of the people who helped me to get there and who I can ‘rely’ on during that mile – I’m sure it may be a good distraction too! It’ll be time to think of OTHERS to pray for others during the race – prayer will keep me sane.

1 – Melody & Beka
21 – Dani
22 – Shannon C
23 – Krissy
24 – G
25 – Linda K
26 – Gina’s brother Roger
.2 – Becca + Mike M + anyone else who I might find comfort in cursing up that hill!

I also finished up my race-day outfit! There will, of course, be a throwaway as it’ll be CHILLY compared to what I’m used to!

What goes on in your Taper Head?
Do you think dedicating miles is a good race strategy/distraction?

October 22, 2013, 11:13 am

My mind has been spinning with tons and tons of thoughts. I finally found a place that had Larabar minis so I am good for race day fuel.

I think dedicating miles is a great way to keep yourself motivated but also distracted as the miles start to get harder!

We’re ready to rock this!!!

October 22, 2013, 2:41 pm

Mmm Larabar minis?! I think we’re just so antsy and ready and rarin’ to go!

October 22, 2013, 11:43 am

I love your list of dedications — what a great idea! Have a great time, you will rock it!

October 22, 2013, 11:45 am

Its def hard not to go crazy during but try to enjoy the down time… remember how tired we were!! I kno i kno easier said than done! U kno i love the dedicating miles thing and im happy to b a part of that and curse me if u need to! Whatever helps u make it thru! Jus kno that i am super proud of u and how hard uve worked! Enjoy race day above everything else! You will b awesome! xoxo. ~Kristen

October 22, 2013, 2:42 pm

Thanks Kristen – don’t worry I’ll try to make you proud and curse the crap out of you LOL

October 22, 2013, 11:57 am

Taper is probably the hardest time for most runners and I always get super nervous during that time. Keeping busy is the most important thing and I love planning all the race day clothing, music, etc., just like you have done. By the way, the outfit is perfection!

October 22, 2013, 2:42 pm

yes! I got SO much done yesterday and have a list for today too! I am happy to come up there early to enjoy all things northern!

October 22, 2013, 12:17 pm

Taper crazies are completely normal and I’m glad you’ve found a way to keep busy during it all! I am so excited for you and can’t wait to follow along and cheer virtually! ENJOY every minute!

October 22, 2013, 12:37 pm

My taper crazies are probably only half as bad (since I’m just doing a half LOL). For me it’s mostly about cutting back on my running and other workouts. You’d think that’d be easy enough. Um, not so much. And I find myself watching the weather like it’s my job. I almost pulled out my race outfit yesterday. I try really hard not to think about it too much. I really hate racing b/c I get crazy competitive with myself and start freaking myself out.

October 22, 2013, 1:13 pm

I love that you shared all those random thoughts in your head! I can definitely relate!!! And I’m honored that mile 17 is for me! Your race outfit is precious!!! You are going to ROCK girl!!! So excited for you!!!

October 22, 2013, 1:13 pm

Woot for race week! Your outfit is so cute! Yes taper time is crazy but it looks like you’re ready to go!

October 22, 2013, 1:40 pm

I was listening to an interview with Matthew Mc… yeah cannot spell his last night (actor, always has no shirt on)… And he said, “you know the feeling you get when the gun goes off and you get to start running and you’re super excited and have a ton of energy?” – “yeah, slow down”… I thought that was pretty smart! Too many people start off strong but then as the last few miles come around they are dying and wanna cry! Take it slow and finish STRONG!! 😀

The Quercetin will help 😉

October 22, 2013, 2:05 pm

Add me to the point 2! That little hill is a bitch, I’m not gonna lie, but you know you’ve already run 26 miles and you can tell that hill to suck it! SO EXCITED!!! Can’t wait to cheer for you. P.S. you may have to just listen for my voice….

October 22, 2013, 3:30 pm

My taper head always makes my injuries and over eats =)

Good luck girl!

October 22, 2013, 3:34 pm

You are going to rock it! I will be following your tracking if I can (need to look on the race site), as I’m so excited for you! We are all with you in our own parts of the country/world! Enjoy the experience! 🙂

October 22, 2013, 6:53 pm

Love your outfit! You are going to do amazing!

October 22, 2013, 7:21 pm

Amazing! I am glad I am not the only one with a racing head!

October 22, 2013, 10:50 pm

I love your idea of dedicating the miles to everyone and writing it in sharpie so you’ll have it with you.
    Also, how cute is your race day outfit. I don’t even know what I am wearing yet. I am notorious for packing night before or morning of which means I’ll just end up in crops and a tee as always.

October 23, 2013, 1:39 am

count me in on those miles! i’ll be there in spirit!

October 23, 2013, 10:44 am

OMG, our taper crazy thoughts are the same! (Especially the part about chocolate and cross training!) On the bright side, I’m glad the taper is giving you time to rest and heal up. Bada$$ runners don’t have time for shin splints on race day! 😉

October 23, 2013, 1:39 pm

Ive loved watching on FACEBOOK as you talk about and dedicate the miles.

October 23, 2013, 1:45 pm

You seem to have your wits about you. You’ve got plenty to keep you busy building up to race day. I absolutely love (and might steal the idea) your dedication miles. What a great way to keep motivated! How do you keep track of it on race morning?

October 23, 2013, 1:48 pm

Love your race day outfit. You are going to be amazing! Good luck and I will be thinking of you this weekend. Curse me up mile 5, I accept it. 🙂

October 23, 2013, 2:16 pm

Oh yes, I have so many of the same thoughts… also expecting my period around race day, ugh. Love your idea of praying for someone each mile!

October 23, 2013, 3:55 pm

Ahh so excited for you! Your outfit is ridiculously awesome! I liked it on FB and a friend of mine saw my “like” and also liked it. She called me up asking about the race and all, as her brother was in the Marines. Just know that your an inspiration to so many! I think the mile dedications are a great idea!

October 23, 2013, 5:26 pm

All the miles go to jaeden!!!!! ;0) im so proud of you kat. I know i dont really comment much now but im always following! You will own this!!!!

October 23, 2013, 11:29 pm

I am so excited for you! Love the outfit too!

October 24, 2013, 2:29 am

What a great idea to dedicate miles! That will hopefully make the time go by fast for you, and I’m sure those people will appreciate it 🙂

October 24, 2013, 3:50 am

I am so excited for you and am so honored that I get mile 14. You’re going to rock this!!!!

October 24, 2013, 4:31 am

Love your outfit, share your crazy thoughts and adore that you are dedicating your miles! I can’t wait to see you in DC!!!

October 25, 2013, 5:35 pm

Love the outfit, you’re going to do so awesome this weekend!! I like the concept of dedicating miles to people (I did it for my first) but I found that I forgot who each mile was for. I thought of everyone as I was running but probably not in the order that I planned!