Weekly Workouts Roundup – Marathon Training Week 15

1 week until MCM!!!

Link up with Meghan & I as we recap our workouts for the week in a Weekly Workouts Roundup!
It can be any day and not necessarily Sunday also!

Week of 10/13/2013
10/13- Spin Bike 45 minutes
10/14-  Arms Circuit + Stationary Bike
10/15 – Spin bike 30 min + 3 mile run (post diagnosis)
10/16 – Rest Day
10/17 – 4 easy miles + intervals at the end
10/18 – Rest Day
10/19 –10 mile easy long run
17 total miles + circuit training
The mileage dropped here for sure when I felt ‘ouchy’ Sunday after my last 16 miler. I honestly didn’t say much about how my leg was feeling since it was mostly off and on, but once I saw that 2 weeks in a row I was SUPER stuff after my long runs I knew there was something going on. After having a chat with Amanda Monday she was concerned that I was having pain in my calf and hadn’t been able to run 2 days in a row (without pain-pain.) So, I made an appt with the Ortho doc for Tuesday afternoon hoping to get an answer on stress fracture [eek!] versus shin splints or something of less severity.

I gave an update HERE of my first MRI experience too.
Sooooooooo….. how’s it been since then and what WAS the exact diagnosis?

I have severe shin splints with micro tears in my soleus/periosteum attachment. In other words, I need rest lol. I am on prednisone to get down the inflammation and am in taper, which helps the impact on the injury. However, after the race (before Vegas) I need to continue stretch my shin with exercises I was given, possibly start Physical Therapy, and focus on it healing completely.

I wanted to go into Saturday’s long run attempting a few MRP miles, but stopped myself when I woke up with a stiff shin area. I shot for doing 10 instead of 8 but took it easy most of the way. I know at this point, there was no sense in pushing it. I’m just hoping that the left shin will heal up as best it can and I can give it my all next Sunday!

Today I’m enjoying some R & R and will hop on the spin bike later to get in some crosstraining [to burn off food from our Walking Culinary tour and concert we went to last night!]

(Nope. We’re not dance festival regulars, we just like Steve Aoki. Funny enough, we saw a deal on Groupon to go to the event last night – went for a couple of hours, saw him, and ran away before things got crazy. #ManIFeelOld)

I started to get a tickle in my throat this morning too and have been downing Emergen-C and everything else I can think of.

How do you combat Taper Crazies & Sickies?
Advise for the LAST week leading up to the big day?!

October 20, 2013, 1:41 pm

You are in the home stretch, girl! I can’t wait to read all about your marathon next weekend. So proud of you!

October 20, 2013, 2:19 pm

Careful w/prednisone, it messes w/blood sugar. I really stand behind TPTherapy Total Body Workout kit – the footballer will help your soleus recover.

October 20, 2013, 4:20 pm

1 more week!!!!!!

My son has been sick, so I’ve been avoiding him, ha ha. I WILL NOT get sick!

October 20, 2013, 4:22 pm

Good luck with the taper — it can be tough mentally sometimes, but keep reminding yourself of how well you have trained. Look over your training log so you can see how much preparation you have done. Try to stay away from sick people!!!!! I ended up washing my hands like an OCD person. And also remember that when it’s time to start carb-loading, that’s as important as any 20-mile runs you may have done.

October 20, 2013, 5:32 pm

The taper totally zaps me both mentally and physically. It’s tough because you feel like you should be doing so much more, and shutting down your workouts with gas left in the tank is easier said than done. 😉 Try to embrace and enjoy it as best you can–and get excited for race day! T-minus one week! 😀

October 20, 2013, 6:09 pm

Ah the taper crazies! They definitely go into high gear especially when there’s an injury flare up. Rest up this week and trust your training.

October 20, 2013, 6:39 pm

I’ve had the shin issues, and it’s extremely frustrating but very common when increasing distance. The good news is your body doesn’t forget the work you’ve done, and most likely in a future marathon cycle you’ll be able to get in even more miles without any pain. Hope you feel 100% for the race!!

October 20, 2013, 8:23 pm

Taper is such a hard time mentally, and all the little aches and pains (or big ones) seem magnified. As for the sickies, I would recommend the usual, lots of extra rest, good food and tons of orange juice (which by the way I hate but drink when I have cold/flu symptoms.) Good luck this week, can’t wait to follow you and the girls next Sunday!

October 20, 2013, 11:18 pm

Yes, focus on rest, sleep, hydration, and getting healthy this week.
    Oh, and eat ALLTHEFOOD!

October 20, 2013, 11:21 pm

Keep up the good work! I’m excited to root you on a week from today! I got sick the week before Disney too, and I was downing emergen-C. I think it has something to do with giving your body time to relax when it has been so focused on working so hard. It opens up the window to sickness. Keep up the Emergen-C and you should beat it! Glad you don’t have a stress fracture!

October 20, 2013, 11:23 pm

Sleep! And vitamins. So excited for you!

October 21, 2013, 4:52 am

QUERCETIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. GET QUERCETIN! And start taking some every day. RIGHT NOW. Go to the store! Even if it’s midnight when you’re reading this. BREAK IN. You need quercetin! It will kick ANY signs of sickness, honest to god!! I haven’t been sick in almost 3 years because of it!