You gotta be kidding me…

I will start on a positive note [positivity breeds positivity!] & say it’s been an exceptional mail week so far – with holiday surprises from Bolthouse Farms!

I’m usually not a coffee person, but the Pumpkin Spice Latte is DELICIOUS with just a hint of coffee flavor! I’m excited to try the others flavors SOON! G has already called dibs on the Peppermint Mocha – and I’ve been practicing my sharing skills 😉

I LOVE Bolthouse Farms products! I usually drink the Green Goddess daily as part of my breakfast to get in oodles of fruits and vegetable goodness – with tons of Vitamin A, C, and B12!

AND more positivity came yesterday when my fears of a stress fracture are amiss as I found out that I have shin splints – YAY!

Well, not YAY but yay that I can still run! (kudos to my Heather for hooking me up with a quick MRI and results!)

How I spent a Tuesday afternoon:

I had to pee SO bad after being in this thing – hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

I’m not 100% out of it – I have to take prednisone and get the inflammation down, fluid out from around the periosteum in my bone area on my left tibia to completely heal (outer covering of my left shin bone). There are some minor tears in there as well that need to recoup, but I want to make it though to the Marathon!

Speaking of marathon, let’s get down to why my first thought was to title this post “You’ve gotta be kidding me”….

What’s going on with this?? >>

Really?! We’ll find out Saturday October 19 is the Marine Corps Marathon is either postponed or cancelled all together due to the ongoing Government Shutdown.

I touched on this the other day, when I connected the dots and thought that MCM might be impacted, but was hoping that all was still on track – especially less than 2 weeks out.

SO many people impacted by this Shutdown – families without paychecks coming in, namely. Now, a bunch of races I’ve seen have to be moved or cancelled too.

We’ve all worked so hard for this, SO YOU’VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

What are your thoughts on the recent impact of the Government Shutdown?

IF MCM doesn’t happen, would you commence finding another marathon to run soon, like I’m thinking of doing?

Update 10/17/2013 –

BOOM.

October 16, 2013, 11:25 am

I’m hopeful we’ll still get to run. It’s a crappy side effect!

So glad it’s just shin splints for you! Great news! 🙂 -C

October 16, 2013, 11:28 am

ohhh man that would be awful for so many who have been focused like you for months on this goal!!! I can’t believe this is still happening!!!

October 16, 2013, 11:51 am

I know…hoping a ton of fall/winter races aren’t affected!

October 16, 2013, 11:36 am

I am actually surprised that there was not an announcement sooner on MCM. I think that all of America should take note and do some serious soul-searching when next at the ballot box (off my soapbox now).

I am going to start looking for those Bolthouse Farms holiday specials. They all sound delicious to me. Also, I would definitely start looking for another marathon if MCM ends up not happening. Pssst – I’m running Richmond on Nov 16th.

October 16, 2013, 11:51 am

I had an idea, but was hoping that the government would get their stuff together – so much for that. I’m headed to Vegas Nov 17 for the half and may opt for the full!

October 16, 2013, 11:36 am

I WAS TOTALLY SHOCKED when I saw that on the twitter 🙂
    I cant believe theyd cancel the race.

October 16, 2013, 11:39 am

Oh gosh! One of the women I’m training is supposed to run MCM as well and is also freaking out. I reeallly hope you all can still run on Sunday! And so glad you don’t have a stress fracture- whew!

October 16, 2013, 11:41 am

Grrrrr – so frustrating! I hope that things get worked out and the date stays the same and the run happens, but if it doesn’t, I would find another race ASAP to replace it with. I was suppose to run NYC last year and was IN NYC, walking to the expo when I found out it was canceled. Although I understood, the timing sucked and it left me so frustrated. I did NOT find another marathon and wish that I had. All that training culminated in NOTHING and now I have had one issue after another with running and fear I will never get that chance again. Fingers crossed for you that the race will go on girl!

October 16, 2013, 11:52 am

I mean I understand that things are bigger than a race – people not getting a paycheck mainly – but to have people work so hard for something and then nothing happen is crushing to their spirit!

October 16, 2013, 11:50 am

The government shutdown is ridiculous. I can’t believe that it’s impacting so much and that Congress has no real consideration for all of the people who are out of job right now and who are being impacted alternatively (like the marathon). If that race doesn’t happen I will be peeved, and I haven’t even been training for it. It better happen. If something does happen are you going to still go up to DC that weekend or are you researching alternatives? I know I saw someone say the Atlanta Marathon is that same day.

I’m glad you don’t have a stress fracture. They’re the worst. What is your plan for after the marathon? Are you going to take some time off? I know you and you always have a thought about what’s going to come next, so I’m interested to learn. 😀

October 16, 2013, 11:53 am

I plan to still go up and see family and if it’s cancelled, I’ll do the full in Vegas instead of the half if I can get it switched!

October 16, 2013, 12:03 pm

I love Bolthouse products. The Eggnog has me intrigued. 🙂

Shin splints are no joke. Take it easy. Cut back on the training and heal. I know the training would distract you from the MCM possible cancellation but if it does happen, you don’t want to be injured for it either. Oh and stay off the treadmill with shin splints. I know tredmills are rainy day options but totally not worth it. Treadmills often cause way too much damage. See rainy days as sign for a forced rest day. Good luck, mama! Heal fast!

October 16, 2013, 1:51 pm

Thanks Denise! I only ran on there to take the impact off of my legs so wonder why treadmills would negatively hurt them?

October 16, 2013, 12:07 pm

Like you wrote, let’s start with the positives–woohoo for no stress fractures! Compression and icing should help. (Keeping my fingers crossed for you!) Also, I heard about the MCM news. 🙁 It’s tough, but in these situations, we can only control the controllables–and worry about the controllables. Worst case scenario, though, have you thought about a back-up marathon? (Hope I didn’t jinx it, lol!)

October 16, 2013, 12:07 pm

I really hope the race is not cancelled – you have worked SO hard for this. So glad you do not have a stress fracture – whew! I also need to look into the Bolthouse Farms stuff… A lot of WW members talk about the dressings – low in points and yummy.

October 16, 2013, 12:46 pm

Oh I’m so hopeful you will be able to run this race!

Also, really glad you don’t have a stress fracture.

In my taking a few days off, I’m hoping my calf loosens up.

October 16, 2013, 12:48 pm

Yay for no stress fracture girl! Hope the shin splints get better soon! I hope the government gets their act together soon…it’s so stupid! I hope the race is able to go on. If not…yes I would definitely find another marathon to run. You’ve worked so hard for this…you HAVE to run that race!

October 16, 2013, 12:57 pm

“positivity breeds positivity”, I needed that today! Good reminder. I’m glad you **just** have shin splints. Hope you heal soon! And I’m sad the MCM has been postponed/cancelled! I see all your hard work on IG, and I’d be upset too.

October 16, 2013, 1:52 pm

Right, funny way of looking at shin splints lol. I try to stay positive so the universe will rain it down on me! Thanks Nichole!

October 16, 2013, 2:00 pm

The possible cancellation of the race is just one of the many effects that government officials don’t realize that their inability to compromise and find solutions is having on the American public. Yes, not having a paycheck is by far the worst effect, and although my husband works with the Government he is thankfully deemed as an essential employee. There are so many adverse effects – veterans being denied access to their memorials and runners training for canceled races just being two of them. This madness needs to come to an end!

October 16, 2013, 2:08 pm

Shin splints have never made me so happy! Haha! The shutdown disgusts me. It would be so sad if MCM didn’t happen. That said, I’d definitely be looking for alternates, just in case. Your training should not go to waste.

October 16, 2013, 3:06 pm

SO sorry about the shin splits! Hope you’re feeling better soon. Fingers crossed for the MCM! I hope they can get it together and quick!

October 16, 2013, 3:09 pm

Iv’e heard this and it SUCKS! If they cancel, you can find other marathons around to do. Dont’ give up the dream! After NYC last year, I know many who had to find other close by races! One option is Richmond, which is three weeks later. Anyway, hoepfully it won’t matter….

October 17, 2013, 10:53 am

No way! I’m putting this training to good use! Thanks Ericka!

October 16, 2013, 3:58 pm

This is gonna sound weird but I’m SO glad you just have shin splints!! I was nervous for you! Thank goodness that’s “all” it is and you can still run. Just rest as much as you can!
    On MCM and the Shutdown: It just stinks. I hope the race can go on. Two races I’ve heard people talk about as alternatives are Richmond and Niagara Falls. I really pray MCM is a go, though.

October 16, 2013, 4:59 pm

I’m glad it’s just shin splits and not a stress fracture!! It looks as though the shutdown is ending so hopefully MCM is still going to happen. I am thinking about running Richmond if I can’t run MCM.

October 16, 2013, 5:06 pm

I have no words for this shutdown nonsense… government is all kinds of ridiculous right now. Hopefully MCM is still a go!! You’ve all worked so hard for it. I’m scheduled to run the 10K but can always find something else or just not race until my next half. YAY for shin splints >> stress fracture 🙂

October 16, 2013, 6:14 pm

i sure hope it’s not cancelled! and i’m so glad it’s not a stress fracture. although it might be a stress ulcer after all the stress of this marathon madness. Come on government!!!!!

October 16, 2013, 6:22 pm

That eggnog smoothie look AMAZING!! I am gonna guess it has diary though… Also YAY no stress fracture!

October 17, 2013, 10:54 am

I can’t wait to try it! I have to look at the expiration as I always think of CHRISTMAS time before egg nog 😉

October 16, 2013, 9:33 pm

Well, I know this is going to sound hateful and I don’t mean for it to in any way because I know you have worked super hard for this marathon but as a military wife, I’ve seen a lot of families that have had to deal with worse issues – like not being able to pay bills or buy groceries. Clearly I’m not a fan of the shut-down for any reason and I feel bad for all of the people who are being affected from those that have been furloughed, not payed, vacation plans ruined because of park closures and races cancelled.

October 16, 2013, 10:27 pm

I thought about what I wrote and came back to apologize – I should not have said anything.
      For the record – I really truly the marathon goes on as planned!!!

October 16, 2013, 10:47 pm

It’s not a problem! Trust me, people affected are WAY more important than a race – all of it just stinks!

October 16, 2013, 9:58 pm

Don’t get me started on the shut down! On a positive note, I just bought all three of those drinks… so Bolthouse if you’re reading, thank you for sending these to her… I might not have tired.. delish…. and I will be buying it bulk from here through the holidays.

October 16, 2013, 10:31 pm

How many people run the MCM??? If it is canceled, I say the runners should run their little booties right over to Capitol Hill…a sort of million RUNNER march 😉

October 16, 2013, 11:00 pm

Looks like you will be OK – I hope – they have not voted yet but hopefully the idiots will work for the people!

October 17, 2013, 12:06 am

Things look like they are going to be ok as of right now…but who knows with our government! Fingers and toes are crossed!

October 17, 2013, 2:12 am

Rest up those legs. Fingers crossed that everything works out and the marathon is still on.

October 17, 2013, 2:54 am

OMG YOU DO NOT NEED LEG SCARES RIGHT NOW!!! No NO NO!!! Take it a little easier right now!! I have had TERRIBLE shin splints before too, THEY SUCK!

October 17, 2013, 3:37 am

I thought of you when I read about the possibility of MCM being cancelled. I hope it all works out!

October 17, 2013, 10:55 am

Looks like you will get to run!! Yay! Rest those legs up 🙂 I had an issue with my peroneus longus during the taper of my last marathon and I babied that thing like crazy! Oh, I also am a Bolthouse smoothie fan. I want to try the pumpkin!

October 17, 2013, 12:19 pm

Love, love, love Boathouse’s Green Goddess and hopefully your “you’ve got to be kidding me” is over now! Well, at least for now!!

October 17, 2013, 1:33 pm

Wishing you luck with those shin splints. Ouchy! And I couldn’t agree more about the shutdown. Totally sucks that this is impacting so many other events and plans from around our country. Boo! I just keep praying this will be over soon. Fingers Crossed for you girl! 😉

October 17, 2013, 5:02 pm

Oh my gosh! I haven’t seen those Bolthouse drinks in Canada – they look AMAZING!

I’ve had shin issues before, they’re awful! I hope you heal quickly!

So glad that MCM is on 🙂

October 20, 2013, 6:12 pm

I was shocked when I heard MCM might be cancelled. Say what??? I’m so glad it’s back on. Hope you can run pain-free!!