2014 WDW Half Marathon Race Recap

To finish up my version of the [East Coast] Dumbo Double Dare, after running the 10k Friday I had a half marathon on deck for Saturday! I went into this race only wanting to do it for fun, but did train up to 12 miles during my weekly runs leading up to it. I was excited to run a race for the secondย  year in a row as I haven’t done a duplicate race yet!Linz and I were up early…aaaaaagain…[my least favorite part of a Disney race] to head over to Epcot and the Starters area. It’d been nice to take my own transportation to the start and get an extra hour of sleep – the run Disney shuttles are super convenient and came in handy last year for sure!

Intention: Tiger Lily from Peter Pan – Consensus: Pocahontas – I’ll take it!

We ran into some more peeps I was happy to FINALLY meet in person!

We Run Disney’s Pam and Christine!

I have been in the same park as these ladies…the same race as these ladies…and always seem to miss them! Christine and I both even ran MCM as our first full marathon! These ladies were doing the full Dopey challenge too. We chatted all through the walk to the corrals and into the starting area where we met up with the rest of the TrD Corral G bunch.

There was a slight mishap in the opening celebrations as Corral F didn’t get the magical Disney fireworks – so I guess F doesn’t stand for Fireworks…sad face.

About 15 minutes after the initial start, we were OFF!

The usual route took is through the Disney property connecting roads into the Magic Kingdom! Character stops were totally on our list of priorities. Jack and Sally were on my list, as I missed them in all 4 races last year and we also saw the rare Darkwing Duck and Launchpad!

Main streed is where the energy is at! We made a pit stop at Tomorrowland also running into Heather!

Then we were on our way towards the lights and spectators on Main street before Cinderella’s castle!

Per my Instagram, I was photobombed with style!

We were lackadaisical until we decided to light a fire under our butts and finish the race in under 3 hours. Yes, this was a Personal Worst race for me, but totally intentional. I was not up for any PR action in the humidity nor in the hub-bub that is the craziness of a busy Disney race. So, we pushed it into gear around Mile 8 and made our way back towards Epcot to finish this race up!

The LAST bridge towards the finish!

I couldn’t have been more blessed and thankful to have Linz with me during both races. We’ve been good friends since we met in California and had fun being a hot mess in both the 10k and the half. I couldn’t be more proud of him for finishing up the Dopey Challenge – all 4 Disney Race weekend races – with a smart plan for each.

This would make Half Marathon #9 for me! As I run each 13.1 mile race [this one ended up being 13.37, Oops] I enjoy the distance more and more. I’d love to run another full marathon again one day, but with a half marathon I feel like I can move on with my day and walk around the parks or do other tasks without too much soreness. The training, too, is much easier to fit into a busy schedule. With both races I learned to love the run/walk method, running in intervals of 2:1. I am also debating using that method for my next full!

What’s up next? The Best Damn Race 10k on February 1st, Gasparilla 5k on February 23, some more vacations, and then the Austin 10/20 race in April! BOOYA!!

Have you used intervals to run a half or full?
Do characters help distract you during a race and feel like a big kid!?
Check out my other 2014 WDW Race Weekend posts:
The Expo, Meetups + the #WDWRaceTweetUp
Inaugural WDW 10k

January 21, 2014, 12:17 pm

OMGOSH SO SO SO SO FLIPPING CUTE.
    My one and only race was a disney.
    It’s time for another now that my girl is old enough to come cheer me on ๐Ÿ˜‰

January 21, 2014, 2:23 pm

yes! She could even do the 1 mile kid’s run OR the 5k with you!

January 21, 2014, 12:27 pm

you guys have the best time! intervals during a race? um, you are awesome!

January 21, 2014, 1:42 pm

You look too darn cute! It’s so great that you have a race buddy like Linz. I use intervals all the time and even PR that way! Congrats on your East Coast Dumbo double dare.

January 21, 2014, 2:25 pm

Thank you! He was a HOOT to run with – I want to use intervals for longer distances for sure!

January 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

I was so excited to see Jack and Sally!!!! Looking back I didn’t stop at a lot of the character stops like I wanted to. I was more focused on getting my friend through the race. She was doing a 2:1 so I did that with her. It was my first time doing intervals and like you I may use that for my next full! I had so much energy left towards the end of the race! But yes…this was my absolute slowest half ever! I’m almost embarrassed to say my time lol!

January 21, 2014, 3:13 pm

I totally see your costume as Tiger Lily. Pocahontas only has one strap on her outift :-p I love watching out for characters but also for people’s costumes. It’s so fun to see what runners come up with.

January 21, 2014, 3:47 pm

I totally see Tiger Lily too. ๐Ÿ™‚ And, as a total side note, your arms look great! Put that photobomber to shame, lol.

I’ve used intervals for my last 2 HM’s, and will use them again for one this June. I had originally thought of it as a great strategy for getting back into running, but as I see other successes with it, I may just keep it for the WDW weekend I’m looking forward to next year!

Thanks for sharing great pics & details.

January 21, 2014, 4:46 pm

I love runDisney races bc I get to run with friends and have fun. Congrats on your 19.3!

I usually rock 2:1 intervals, unless it’s hot. Then I drop to 1:1. Works perfect for me!

January 21, 2014, 7:48 pm

You so cute little Pocahontas! I’m glad you had fun Kiki! ๐Ÿ™‚

January 21, 2014, 8:50 pm

What a great review! I do use intervals on long runs, but I LOVE track speed workouts…call me crazy ๐Ÿ™‚

January 21, 2014, 11:01 pm

Love your costume! Even though I haven’t figured out how to run a successful 13.1 yet, I did enjoy training for it. Like you said, you can go out and do longer training runs, but still have energy throughout the rest of the day. And it doesn’t put too much of a damper on your social life like marathon training can. ๐Ÿ˜‰

January 22, 2014, 2:50 am

Awesome recap! I love your costume, and glad you had such a great race! I tend to “run Disney” with a whole lot of emphasis on the characters and the silliness and the fun. I just ran Dopey, and there was a WHOLE LOT of that going on. ๐Ÿ˜€

Congrats again!

January 22, 2014, 3:41 am

Seriously: WHERE do all these costumes come from?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! I am on the hunt for something…….. Do you get them on line?

January 22, 2014, 1:38 pm

You totally look like Tiger Lily! I do walk/run intervals. I’m up to a 1:30/1 interval and I really like it. I feel like it lets me last longer thoughout the race

January 22, 2014, 2:44 pm

I definitely thought Pocahontas! But you look adorbs either way!

January 22, 2014, 3:32 pm

Love love love your costume! Congrats on a great weekend of running!

January 24, 2014, 3:03 am

I love the photobomb! LOL! I wish I could’ve gone to Disney…it sure beats the cold weather up here. ๐Ÿ™‚