Refocusing on food portions – Doing the 21 Day Fix

Yes, this is my EXCITED FACE!
This week I started the 21 Day Fix! A new workout from Beachbody and the creator, Autumn Calabrese, this program not only focuses workouts for variety but also FOOD PORTIONS! Being someone who had her own weight loss journey, there are days STILL where I trip up and want to gorge on a huge cookie or cupcake! It’s okay to indulge, but it also depends on the size and scope of that indulgence – not to mention the frequency! Cheating here and there is okay, but I needed to get back on track with my weekly eating to not slip in sugars and unhealthy snacks when they weren’t needed by my body – because they really never are! I need to focus on FUELING my body strategically!
The program comes with containers, all color coded to help you know which ones are for veggies and which are for fats, etc. Depending on the mathematic count of calories you need a day, you are to eat so many of each container a day (not one of each a day.)
For me, for example, I can have two servings of fruit, 3 of veggies, 4 of proteins, 2 of carbohydrates like tortillas and rice, and also have guidelines for seasonings and oils etc. BTW I don’t use the containers to eat out of persay. I use them as a guide when eating so I know how much proteins to include in my packed lunch, etc.
My Monday snack: Cheese cubes and almonds

Shakeology is still my GO TO breakfast and I don’t usually include any Purples (fruits) as I mix mine with Almond Milk (making it a Red serving.) Simple enough right?

There are 7 workouts included for each day of the week – yoga, pilates, cardio, plyo to include a few. I will continue my running regimen of 3 days a week and include these each day – they are ONLY 30 minutes each! No excuses NOT to fit it in!

The bonus to me doing this is that I’ll also be joined by my Fit Squad Challengers! These guys help ME to stay accountable too so that we all hit our goals and maintain lessons learned to take with us down the road! CONTINUED SUCCESS is KEY! I’m never one to not try something new – especially that makes it easier for me to ACHIEVE what GOALS I’m FOCUSED ON!
Are portions an area you feel you can focus more on?
What trips you up during the day to make this a challenge?
Don’t forget I’m a Beachbody coach who not only DOES the challenge, but also coaches others through their own journies too! I’ll also be doing on a post about WHY I became a Beachbody coach! Email me HERE for more info 😉

And don’t forget to enter my Apera Bags GIVEAWAY HERE

April 2, 2014, 11:18 am

what a need concept of color coding! i definitely overdo it on healthy fats… especially nut butters!

April 2, 2014, 11:18 am

and that was supposed to say “neat” not “need” oh boy..

April 2, 2014, 11:25 am

I ROCK THE PORTIONS —except for the nuts 🙂 the pistachios.
    I HAVE to count those suckers out 🙂

April 2, 2014, 12:45 pm

Cool, I didn’t realize those containers were color coded. I need to SEE a lot of food, so at dinner just cover my whole plate with pile of spring mix or spinach (rather than the serving of noodles or rice that the kiddos are eating) and put m lean protein on there. Actually, if i don’t get my plate of lettuce every day, I get a little cranky

April 2, 2014, 4:07 pm

Yes, my greens are where it’s at for sure!

April 2, 2014, 1:21 pm

I love those colour coordinated containers! That is such a GREAT idea!

April 2, 2014, 1:37 pm

Those containers are awesome! I do pretty well at portions unless we’re talking about salad or green beans, then I’ll let myself eat as much as I want.

By the way, I’m still obsessed with your hair. It looks amazing!

April 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

Thanks Katie 😉 Greens are a big part of the day for sure!

April 2, 2014, 1:46 pm

I am on a weight loss journey but lost a lot of focus in March because of a blogging project. Now trying to get back on track. Thankfully I didn’t gain any weight, and lost 2 pounds. My problem is not eating enough. I will eat breakfast, get busy and then forget to eat until late in the evening. Then I will eat a bigger meal than I should because I went so long without eating. I know this is very bad for my PCOS.

April 2, 2014, 1:54 pm

I love the color coded containers! What a great way to really highlight food categories and quantities. Keep up the awesome work, it sounds like a great challenge.

April 2, 2014, 2:15 pm

I love the color coded containers! I’ve been doing really well on my portions lately. It makes me feel so much better! Great job Kat!

April 2, 2014, 2:23 pm

I am pretty good with portions bc I get full really fast and don’t eat a lot at once, but I do tend toe at the WRONG things 🙂

April 2, 2014, 2:50 pm

Neat idea with the color coded containers.

April 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

I love the idea of the color coded portions, but since I stay at home I don’t think it would be realistic for me to think that I would fill them every day hah. I log my food though and it tracks carbs, protein, fat, etc…

April 2, 2014, 4:08 pm

I just try to use them as a guide – not necessarily to eat out of 😉

April 2, 2014, 6:48 pm

The color coding is brilliant! On a semi-related note, I did a workplace challege recently and realized I was vastly overestimating my fruit and veggie intake. I’ve made some great diet changes as a result. -Christine

April 3, 2014, 1:51 am

The portion control and color coding sounds awesome.

April 3, 2014, 2:40 am

Ohhhhh portion control. I am too above this topic – LOL!! AKA: I am in denial and I am going to eat my pounds and pounds of veggies, and no one is going to tell me differently, LOL! 😉

April 3, 2014, 2:53 am

So many plans out there but I have always been a person that knows my approximate calories, the stats in the food I eat, portion control – that is just me. I know many like IE but for me, this has worked. I learned how to not get consumed in it & just understand it.. I am also a mindful eater – NOT IE but mindful. Paying attention to how I feel when I am eating. 🙂

April 3, 2014, 1:31 pm

I always pre-portion my snacks like almonds so I don’t eat the entire bag!

April 3, 2014, 11:52 pm

Portion control is always something I struggle with. I’m focusing on it more and more now that I’m getting older and attempting to be a better runner. I’ve really been trying to listen to the cues from my body and taking breaks before I reach for something. Like if I have a craving for a sweet, then waiting 10 minutes, drinking water, and seeing if the craving is still there later. It helps a lot, bc most of the time I’m just thirsty. Thanks so much for sharing this, it’s great info.
    ~Bre

April 7, 2014, 2:30 am

Chris says hi..he’s playing Candy Crush while I lurk on your blog. I need the portion control tuppers, not only are they colorful but when fiance packs our lunches, we usually end up with an XL portion of Cheezits, ground beef and cheese cubes. Ya, portion control is not our thing.

Maybe I should get on the bus. The healthy living ass kickin’ bus.