I understand the importance of rest, but I also know that being a person who’d been sedentary most of her life, this habit of MOVING and SHAKING only perpetuates positivity!
Why? Well, because the 10,000 steps is a GOAL I set for MYSELF. With any of these gadgets [I use the Fitbit Flex] you can set your own steps or activities goals. 10,000 steps may not be what EVERYONE should shoot for – and that’s okay! We all have our OWN personal goals, and those are totally individualized. Some people try to get at least 2,000-5,000 to start or even use the activity monitor to shoot for so many active minutes a day!
I’ve seen a change in myself not only with the steps I get from running, but the steps I MAKE myself get throughout the day. Anyone working in an office – how much do we SIT ALL DAY?! I’ve talked about this very topic and how sitting engages the hip flexors so much that it can limit functional movement.
What are some ways to get more STEPS in a day to create a positive Fitness Focus?
* Park Farther away – at the grocery store, at work, anywhere!
* Take breaks every hour or so and walk a lap around the office or house
* Walk around during commercial breaks of your favorite show
* Walk to the local places versus driving there – saves gas too 😉
* Join the kids! – have them ride their bikes or skate while you walk or wog or run
* Go on a walk post-lunch or post-dinner – you’ll feel better too
* Take the dog on a walk
* Incorporate intervals into your gym workout
Fitbit themselves say that wearers usually achieve 43% more steps than non-users. Crazy right?!
How do you make sure you get up and about more during the day?
Are you a step-gadget-lover?
Do you feel fitness gadgets create healthy habits or obsessions?