Cinco De Anniversary – Marriage Lessons Learned in Year 2

Happy 2 year anniversary to us!
We got married 2 years ago in BEAUTIFUL Antigua at the Sandals Resort there!
A lot was learned in our 1st year, as it would be with all newlyweds – Our 2nd year was no different!
What I … or we .. learned in our 2nd year of Marriage:
* Make your life a story – We both have realized that tangible things aren’t what we want our life about. We live for the moment and enjoy time with each other and those we live doing fun things or going on travel adventures. We want to make memories that can last a lifetime! Hubby is my best friend, he’s the one who is ALWAYS there no matter what happens and loves me every day through my own faults. So, I want to make life the best I can WITH him and keep adding pages to OUR STORY.
* Look to God before looking to your partner – In one of our church services we remember hearing the pastor talk about how we tend to look at our spouse for things that we should be looking to God for first and foremost: Guidance, direction when it comes to arguments, an answer to a bad day. We need to look to God first – especially IN arguments – before reacting or talking about anything in-depth. It will ensure we aren’t saying things in a knee-jerk way and are genuine with our responses.
* Grow together through new experiences & what brought you together – Both of us came into our relationship pretty independent and having experienced a ton in our respective lives. We’ve learned that we continue to grow as individuals regardless even when we’re together. With that, we also work to experience new things so that we grow closer as a couple, too. We’ve been to many new places together and done many new things (running through Vegas, hello!) and only get better from those! With that, we try to remember to stay grounded with what brought us together in the first place and those things we share in common. We started off meeting at the gym, so this year have been very focused on having fun with fitness but together as much as we can too!
* Set long term goals together – When we were dating and well into our first year we talked a lot about things we wanted to do or wanted to accomplish. This year felt like the year we MADE THINGS HAPPEN. We also made sure to sit down and physically write down our goals for the year together. Things we wanted to happen and by when so that we didn’t derail from our plans. Individually, too, we check in with each other and set each other straight when we start to fall off or lose focus of things we said we wanted to accomplish. Tough love should come from your partner of all people!
* It’s everyone, not just us – We’ve learned this more and more over our years together, but whenever we tackle something tough we tend to get frustrated and think “what is going on here?” The more I have learned to open up to my husband and open up to friends, I realize – it’s NOT just us. We’re NOT the only ones who argue over silly things or have bad days. Everyone has their issues and it’s all in how you get better at communicating when those happen. Just makes it easier when we realize we’re not completely crazy 😉
So, CHEERS to Cinco De Anniversary and Cinco De Mayo!
What did you learn in Year 2 of Marriage?
Cotton or China, what 2nd year present would you pick?

May 5, 2014, 11:30 am

Congrats! After 15 years if marriage and a set of Irish Triplets, I can barely remember our 2nd year of marriage. But I think that’s the year I learned to pick my battles and to compromise. And cotton.

May 5, 2014, 11:37 am

oh lordy 🙂
    after 17 years I CAINT recall year two!!!

**tosses congratulatory confetti yer way**

May 5, 2014, 11:42 am

I love this, Kat! Happy Anniversary!

May 5, 2014, 12:21 pm

Happy Anniversary! Some really great insights! Enjoy your day, and of course, a lifetime of wonderful years.

May 5, 2014, 12:24 pm

Happy 2 years! We’re about to hit one! 😀 I agree with it’s everyone, not just us. With marriage being so new it’s easy to wonder if we’re dealing with something abnormal. The answer is always, nope, we’re just like everyone else!

May 5, 2014, 12:28 pm

Congrats on two years. We have been married , gulp, 38 almost 39 years. I can’t remember yesterday, much less year two of my marriage. What I do remember though, is that we have worked on a great partnership and having your best friend by your side through thick and thin is really all that matters. Enjoy every moment, even those arguing!

May 5, 2014, 12:34 pm

<3!!!!!! You actually make me want to get married – just a lil 😉 lol!

May 5, 2014, 12:45 pm

Awww! Happy 2 years! You two make me smile!

May 5, 2014, 12:47 pm

Happy Anniversary!!! We’ve been married 13 years on May 19th! I don’t remember a whole lot about year two. I just know that with each passing day I love him more and more.

May 5, 2014, 1:08 pm

Happy anniversary!!! 🙂 So cute!
    I’d pick cotton!

May 5, 2014, 1:11 pm

Happy 2nd Anniversary! Year two is definitely more challenging than year one, but the challenges also make you realize just how much you love your spouse. Cheers to year three!

May 5, 2014, 3:39 pm

Happy Anniversary!!! Go get the Tony, Toni, Tone song on yer speakers. lol

May 5, 2014, 5:21 pm

Happy Anniversary! Coolest anniversary date ever 🙂

May 5, 2014, 6:49 pm

you better believe i agree! especially number 2!

May 5, 2014, 7:40 pm

Happy Anniversary! I should easily be able to answer the question of what I learned our 2nd year of marriage, since it was just last year, but pregnancy brain seems to have gotten the best of me. I went through a lot medically year #2, and through that I learned just how much God knew what he was doing when he paired my husband and I up. I couldn’t have asked for a more-supportive and understanding person to walk through that time with.

May 5, 2014, 10:39 pm

Happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such cute pics!! Ummmmm, been married for going on 31 years so I can’t remember 2. 🙂

May 5, 2014, 10:49 pm

Awww, happy anniversary to you and G! You crazy kiddos give me hope! 😉

May 5, 2014, 11:15 pm

Happy anniversary!

May 6, 2014, 12:32 am

No marriage stuff here – but HAPPY 2 Years.

May 6, 2014, 1:13 am

So many great lessons you’ve learned. I wish I learned these so quickly! 🙂 Happy Happy 2 years!

May 6, 2014, 5:30 pm

We did the cotton thing for our 2nd anniversary. Threads are a pretty special gift around our household.
    I completely agree with you on the lessons learned during marriage. Something I keep trying to explain to my hubby is that we are not the only ones going through these issues and problems. He’s convinced that we are special or something. The support of other couples and a good foundation build on God is crucial to making a marriage last.
    congrats on your anniversary!!! Hope you guys had fun in AMI

May 6, 2014, 5:46 pm

We don’t do the anniversary gift thing. We did, however, joke about year 5 being wood. Let’s see, year 2? We spent our 2nd anniversary doing our very first long distance relay with friends. It was awesome. I think it was in year 2 that we started learning how both of us prefer to live differently than most of the folks around us in SoCal and we started carving out our own path. Year 2 was when we aggressively started paying off debt and shifted slightly toward the minimalist lifestyle (just slightly) and the healthy eating began.

May 8, 2014, 7:23 pm

Hapoy anniversary!! Our 1st anniversary is on may 24. We got married at the Sandals in Jamaica – loved it!!!