Happy Hump Day – today also being National Running Day !
Running has become a vital part of my life, workouts, and way of living! Why? For SO many reasons! Today is a day to not only run TOGETHER in unison as a united front of runners who LOVE the sport, but also to remember WHY we do it!
Benefits of Running –
– Social Scene & Connection: Get out and meet people at runs or races! I have met so many awesome people through running. It also gives me a way to connect with friends and my husband all while being active simultaneously!
– Cardiovascular exercise: From Interval runs to Tempo runs or Easy runs, you can do various cardio workouts with running. It’s best to understand it does take time to be conditioned even to START TO run. Do so slower rather than shooting for speed right away whether you’re coming back to running or from an injury, etc. It’s healthy for your heart to get a running workout in any way you spin it!
– Time for reflection: Like it does for me and many of us, Running can be a time to clear your head and get away in a healthy way. When I need time to think, running gives me that release and ability to do so. I pray on my runs and use that time to reflect on the week with God. I get my best ideas ON runs and can think clearly!
– Competition: You can work towards personal bests in races or just sign up to enjoy the camaraderie of being in a crowd of people all working towards the same goal and focus of getting to that finish line. When you take the time to train for a race, you get to that big day and have the chance to push towards your personal goals – GOALS have a way of giving us PURPOSE in life!
– A Chance to Realize your True Capabilities: 3.1 … 10.2….13.1…26.2…..Many of us NEVER IMAGINED we’d run as far as we have. Usually as you get older you tend to back off of physical challenges, but for me I’ve picked up MORE the older I’ve gotten! I want to see just how hard I can push myself physically and mentally – running has helped me to do just that!
Whether it’s a marathon or a half marathon or no distance at all, Running shows you that you can do a heck of a lot more than you give yourself credit for. It allows us to take on challenges that make us into better individuals!
Healthy endorphins: Running and other workouts give you the release of endorphins throughout your body when you workout! They create happy vibes! So, while it’s hard to get started, you won’t regret getting that run in!
Barely Any Equipment needed: Yes, you do need running shoes…and socks…and clothes. Maybe even a hat. However, you need NO equipment other than your feet – a.k.a. Moe and Joe – to get moving! No Gym required either!
The list goes ON AND ON!
So tell me,
Why do you run? What benefits does it give you?