National Running Day: The Benefits of Running

Happy Hump Day – today also being National Running Day !

download

Running has become a vital part of my life, workouts, and way of living! Why? For SO many reasons! Today is a day to not only run TOGETHER in unison as a united front of runners who LOVE the sport, but also to remember WHY we do it!

Benefits of Running –

– Social Scene & Connection: Get out and meet people at runs or races! I have met so many awesome people through running. It also gives me a way to connect with friends and my husband all while being active simultaneously!

2012-06-23-08.41.03

Pacing my girl Michelle to her 5k PR back in 2012

– Cardiovascular exercise: From Interval runs to Tempo runs or Easy runs, you can do various cardio workouts with running. It’s best to understand it does take time to be conditioned even to START TO run. Do so slower rather than shooting for speed right away whether you’re coming back to running or from an injury, etc. It’s healthy for your heart to get a running workout in any way you spin it!

– Time for reflection: Like it does for me and many of us, Running can be a time to clear your head and get away in a healthy way. When I need time to think, running gives me that release and ability to do so. I pray on my runs and use that time to reflect on the week with God. I get my best ideas ON runs and can think clearly!

Picture1

A Solo run can create an entirely good mood and good ideas

– Competition: You can work towards personal bests in races or just sign up to enjoy the camaraderie of being in a crowd of people all working towards the same goal and focus of getting to that finish line. When you take the time to train for a race, you get to that big day and have the chance to push towards your personal goals – GOALS have a way of giving us PURPOSE in life!

Destination races are always fun

Destination races are always fun

– A Chance to Realize your True Capabilities:  3.1 … 10.2….13.1…26.2…..Many of us NEVER IMAGINED we’d run as far as we have. Usually as you get older you tend to back off of physical challenges, but for me I’ve picked up MORE the older I’ve gotten! I want to see just how hard I can push myself physically and mentally – running has helped me to do just that!

20130715_183444

I never thought I’d tackle this bad boy – ever!

Whether it’s a marathon or a half marathon or no distance at all, Running shows you that you can do a heck of a lot more than you give yourself credit for. It allows us to take on challenges that make us into better individuals!

Zooma2

Or trying to PR a HILLY Half Marathon that you were not expecting

Healthy endorphins: Running and other workouts give you the release of endorphins throughout your body when you workout! They create happy vibes! So, while it’s hard to get started, you won’t regret getting that run in!

Barely Any Equipment needed: Yes, you do need running shoes…and socks…and clothes. Maybe even a hat. However, you need NO equipment other than your feet – a.k.a. Moe and Joe – to get moving! No Gym required either!

The list goes ON AND ON!

So tell me,

Why do you run? What benefits does it give you?

June 4, 2014, 11:09 am

love your reasons and yes, mine are quite the same! plus it clears my mind

June 4, 2014, 12:40 pm

Thanks girlie – twinsies!

June 4, 2014, 11:46 am

I love that you included a chance to find out what you’re really capable of- so true!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted…Why Calories in vs Calories Out is OutdatedMy Profile

June 4, 2014, 12:39 pm

Thanks girlie – look at you running preggers that’s phenomenal!

June 4, 2014, 12:05 pm

I run to stay strong and sane — plus I love the thrill of a race. I’ve been running for 25 years as an adult and hope to keep on running as long as I can — maybe break Harriet the 91 year old’s recent marathon world record?! Amazing
    Jennifer F recently posted…Why I Run & Running Day Giveaway ( Compression Socks )My Profile

June 4, 2014, 12:38 pm

You’ve got a while girlfriend but I know no one else who would be better to break that record!

June 4, 2014, 12:16 pm

I love the feel of completion and accomplishment after!
    Heathers Looking Glass recently posted…National Running Day OffersMy Profile

June 4, 2014, 1:00 pm

Happy National Running Day friend!!! 🙂 Cheers to stretching our limits thanks to running!
    Lora recently posted…Happy National Running DayMy Profile

June 4, 2014, 1:03 pm

Glad to see a benefits of running post. I’ve read that for women it can help lower risk of breast cancer and reduce risk of stroke. For me a huge benefit was confidence too.
    Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted…National Running Day – I RUNMy Profile

June 4, 2014, 1:48 pm

So many great reasons to run, and so many great benefits too! I never imagined I’d connect virtually with as many runners as I have, which is just one of the many added bonuses of running. Yay for online running friends!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Happy National Running Day!My Profile

June 4, 2014, 3:23 pm

Right?! Cheers girlie!

June 4, 2014, 2:08 pm

Completely agree with all of these. Since my hypertension diagnosis last year it has become even more important. I also have 13.1 in the back of my mind. Never thought I would even entertain the thought. We’ll see!
    Jen recently posted…Fitness 5 on FridayMy Profile

June 4, 2014, 3:17 pm

I love your reasons, especially ” A chance to realize what you’re capable of” There is a trend recently to give up the marathon for shorter distances, and I get the reasoning behind that trend, but the marathon is a symbol of triumph– your life changes the moment you cross that finish line. It’s such a confidence booster.
    Lisa @ RunWiki recently posted…What is a Tempo Run- a Guest Post by @tinamuirMy Profile

June 4, 2014, 3:23 pm

I need TIME to train for another marathon but am SO game!

June 5, 2014, 12:01 am

Running has taken me to so many places physically and mentally that I never knew existed!
    Angela @ Happy FIt Mama recently posted…Track Attack: The Ladder WorkoutMy Profile

June 5, 2014, 12:14 am

I run because it is my me time. I allows me to think, to get over stress, to just be.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…National Running Day 2014My Profile

June 24, 2014, 11:10 am

I am not a runner myself but I have some friends that are hardcore runners they would join every marathon they can. They are actually inviting me to join too but they didn’t really expect me to say yes because they know I would only run if my life is on the line. In one of the conversations we had they mentioned that aside from the obvious health benefits of running the best part of running a marathon is the people you’ll meet along the way. They said they met a lot of interesting people and some that made the marathon more interesting. I haven’t closed my door on running for all we know I might start sooner than I plan.

Regards,