Disney’s Youth Sports Programs at the WWoS

Hubby and I don’t have kids/a kid just yet, but have actually talked a lot about what sports our kids could play and how youth sports fit into our own childhoods. G played sports all of his life growing up. Football, Baseball, Wrestling, Martial Arts – he did it all. I, on the other hand, loved Basketball and played for leisure but never got into sports much as a kid. I had the discipline of my studies while hubby had the discipline of his athletic focus.

I was invited to take part in a weekend event to highlight Disney’s Youth Sports programs Walt Disney World offered at their ESPN Wide World of Sports facility. We thought this was a great chance to be able to see the facilities that we’d only been to for the Run Disney Expos and maybe a Braves Spring Training game or so.

ESPNWWOSTitle

Disney’s Wide World of Sports is located within the Disney World property in Orlando. At almost 230 acres in size, it hosts over 170 events including Atlanta Braves Spring Training and Youth Sports events of all kinds. It also includes quadaplexes, indoor facilities, and interchangable turf for multiple sports platforms. While we were there, kids were gearing up for the Disney International Cup where children from all over the world competed in their very own World Cup! Softball and Baseball games were going on there as well. On our tour of the complex there was a fun run included that allowed us to go through the trail portion of the property used for crosscountry as well as the Haunted 5k that is part of the Tower of Terror Race weekend.

ESPN

Hubby and I ran the 1.50 mile route with some new friends we’d made that weekend – bloggers and other media from all over the country were there with us too. I enjoyed time learning from Desiree, Audrey, and got to see Erin who I’d met at Fitbloggin.

ESPNRun

We also took a tour of the complex itself and were able to see just how truly special Disney makes the Youth Sports experience for the kids. Here, the KIDS REALLY ARE THE PROS! There is a Welcome Center where parents and coaches can get assistance with snacks, water, and even theme park tickets and Fast Passes for their crew.

Youth

While having lunch, we heard from many speakers including Tom Shaw (Sports and Performance Coach) and one of Disney’s WWoS Chefs, Chef Hal. Erin also had a chance to speak as a mom who also gets her children and other children very involved in nutrition and fitness.

IMG_4581

Here are some more tid bits of info that I learned over the course of the weekend:

* Tom Shaw trains his athletes, of all ages, using a lot of body resistance exercises. You need explosive power to increase performance, not muscle mass necessarily

* He also said to get faster, you need longer strides and faster elbows [upper body mobility]

* DJ Cole is pretty hip amongst the youngsters

* Disney works to make sure people of all ages and sizes have the best time ever at all of their facilities

* I’m getting too old and don’t like riding the Tower of Terror – meanwhile, G, is a big fan

* Disney makes special non-contaminated gluten and dairy free desserts

* Puma and New Balance are the shoe sponsors within the Disney Sports families

* A mom blogger of 5 can motivate me to not be scared to have 1 kid of my own some day

ESPNGroup

Great! Now we love yet another facet of the Disney magic! I hope we get to come back down the road and see our kid[s] play here in the Happiest Place on SPORTS Earth!

Have you been to the WWoS before?

What do you look for when it comes to Youth Sports programs and information?

July 18, 2014, 7:23 am

I’ve coached many soccer tournaments at the WWOS. It’s usually a great experience. If anyone plans on taking a team, understand there are multiple sports playing at the same time. The complex gets very crowded and be prepared to walk a good distance if you are playing an outdoor sport.
    Rob Greenwood recently posted…Don’t Lose Hope!My Profile

July 18, 2014, 11:10 am

Yes that’s for sure!

July 18, 2014, 7:40 am

Oooh I always joke with Kyle on what our kids are going to do. His whole family played sports year round, but they are suuuuper big into basketball. I am uncoordinated as all get out when it comes to any sport with a ball. I was a band and choir kid, so I like to tease him that our kids aren’t gonna like sports and would rather sing 🙂 Personally, I’d prefer they do both! Knowing how much learning as I missed out on as a youth by not being in sports (my parents didn’t really encourage it), I definitely want my kids to play sports, but I want them to do anything else they enjoy too.
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Food Photography Surfaces Part IIMy Profile

July 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Haha it’s fun pre-planning right?? I’m such a different person now but that just helps me plan for my kiddo(s)!

July 18, 2014, 11:07 am

I have been there for the RunDisney Races but friends children have participated in both Cheerleading competitions and Soccer tournaments there, it is a cool place and even cooler you got to on to a behind the scenes tour!
    Lisa RunFastMama recently posted…Financial FitnessMy Profile

July 18, 2014, 11:11 am

Neat! you would’ve loved the tour girlie!

July 18, 2014, 12:43 pm

I love Disney so much!
    Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted…Friday Five 24My Profile

July 18, 2014, 1:53 pm

I don’t go for the youth activities, but they host the Old Spice Classic there every year around Thanksgiving. It is a pre-season college hoops tournament, and the WWoS does a great job hosting.
    Nikki (@SandBookWich) recently posted…Farm House Garden SandwichMy Profile

July 19, 2014, 4:21 pm

I hadn’t been except for Run Disney events!

July 18, 2014, 2:06 pm

Vasco and I were both big athletes in high school and college. He played baseball and I played softball and basketball. We talk all the time about how we want our LO to do whatever makes her happy, whether that’s sports, dance, or theatre. Secretly, I want her to be a triathlete and distance runner like her mama. lol
    WWOS is a fantastic complex. Did you know they have plans to build a 100 lane bowling alley somewhere on the grounds too?
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…Friday Favorites – 7/18/14My Profile

July 18, 2014, 4:54 pm

It was so great meeting you!!! I had a blast on this trip and I hope we can do another Disney trip soon… maybe a runDisney event???!!! LOL
    Desiree recently posted…Book Review – Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American HistoryMy Profile

July 19, 2014, 4:21 pm

You too girlie! haha sounds good or even just to play!

July 20, 2014, 3:21 pm

I’ve only been there for runDisney expos but always thought it looked amazing! I love that it is so geared for kids sports!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…Runner Spotlights #95My Profile

July 20, 2014, 7:55 pm

I had no idea they offered programs like that there. so cool.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…The Dreaded Race FaceMy Profile