Why PiYo?

Back in June, I did a post about the newest group fitness certification I’d received: PiYo. When I explained what PIYO was, I noted that it’s “flexibility training for the person who may not be too heavy into yoga classes or anything too mellow. It’s music-based and not only focuses on flexibility but also strength and cardio to work the body through low to no impact movements for great fat and calorie burning! You use a mat and don’t need shoes, but don’t think that doesn’t mean you won’t be sweating! You use your entire body to move together in a fluid motion in 99% of the moves so you’re building overall strength and synchronicity with your body! The creator, Chalene Johnson, says she wishes she didn’t call it PiYo because it’s not just pilates and yoga put together. The moves are yoga and pilates inspired but there’s also strength and compound movements involved that you may not find in those traditional classes

In a nutshell: PiYo is STRETCH AND STRENGTH AND FLEXIBILITY all wrapped into one POWERFUL workout that is LOW TO NO impact if needed!  Chalene Explains that all here:

While teaching PiYo now since I was certified, I thought I would elaborate on the workout to explain WHY I got into it and HOW it’s helping myself and many others now!

PiYo has been something I’ve needed for a LONG time. I’ve taken yoga classes off and on and made sure to fit in some stretching before and after runs, but I have to tell you that I didn’t STRETCH as much as I SHOULD HAVE. Especially when I run consecutively [participate in a Run Streak] or participate in Insanity and T25 workouts, it’s important for me to incorporate PiYo. I’m used to JUMPING and RUNNING and pretty much beating my body up without giving my muscles the time to relax and get back to their regular lengths – this always tends to lead myself [not unlike others] to injury as well.

IMG_4600

Flexibility training is essential to runners and to all of us, whether we’re active or not, though.  In general, our flexibility is limited the older we get and focusing on flexibility helps us combat that. Since PiYo blends strength and cardio WITH flexibility it gives us a workout that blends all of our favorite things WITH the stretching we should be including as well. Our muscles are under stress whether we’re working out or sitting and taking the time to stretch them is needed to reduce stress and keep those muscles happy! Our posture also benefits from flexibility as it strengthens our frame and puts us back into alignment.

I’ve had a great time introducing PiYo to the people in my life like friends and family along with teaching it locally in LIVE workouts.

IMG_4383

Everyone tells me that it’s not what they expected, but in a good way. Participants have ranged from those who should do yoga and don’t to those who have never stepped foot into a yoga class because they feel it’s just not for them.

IMG_4396

Even hubby digs PiYo! He’s the past-athlete who loves a good pull-up or push-up a.k.a. hearty workout, but didn’t really like stretching. With PiYo, he says he can space out to the music while feeling challenged at the same time.

IMG_4684

I never ever want to down play yoga. I KNOW I need it, I just wanted something I could do at home – or close to home – that would allow me to still feel like I was being ME. In yoga classes I’d space out and think about the 100 things I had to do AFTER class and never could meditate or find that OM place. With PiYo I can get in the stretch I need while bopping my head to music and laugh and talk off and on – it’s all okay! As I’ve progressed with movements and added difficulty, it’s one of those workouts that shows me the capability of my own strength, which I love!

I didn’t think I’d love this workout as much as I have. To be honest, I haven’t lifted an actual weight in over 3 months and still feel the strongest ever from focusing on power and strength using my own body. I’ve done it off and on but always felt like lifting weights was ‘needed’ when that wasn’t the case.

Do you practice enough stretching and flexibility?

Have you tried PiYo LIVE or at-home? Any questions about it? If you want more info on doing it with me go HERE

July 21, 2014, 7:49 am

Love to hear so much positive about PiYo. Can’t wait to try it out. It sounds just like something I’ll love and can use regularly.
    Haley recently posted…Pregnancy Update 32 WeeksMy Profile

July 21, 2014, 11:09 am

Can’t wait to do it with you girlie – first up, mission baby!

July 21, 2014, 8:12 am

As a past really flexible person, I got stiff with age. I’ve been working on it (in baby steps) and am seeing some improvements. I need to be more consistent. I would love to try a PiYo class because it would make me feel like I was getting a good workout at the same time
    Jennifer F recently posted…How ZMA Can Help Female Athletes & Swanson Vitamin #GiveawayMy Profile

July 21, 2014, 11:10 am

It’s harder the older we get for sure! I wish you could come take my class! Good thing there’s an at-home version!

July 21, 2014, 8:16 am

I DO NOT stretch enough at all! I really liked PiYo when I tried it at FitBloggin’ – glad it continues to rock your world! 🙂
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…How to Move 1000 Miles Away Like a ChampionMy Profile

July 21, 2014, 11:10 am

You will girlie – I’ll get you there 😉

July 21, 2014, 9:50 am

It will be delivered by Thursday. Can’t wait!

July 21, 2014, 11:11 am

yay that’s awesome news on a Monday!

July 21, 2014, 10:03 am

I KNOW I don’t stretch enough! I can’t wait to try it out!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…Weekend Snaps and NapsMy Profile

July 21, 2014, 11:11 am

Soon girlie – we’ll touch base soon!

July 21, 2014, 10:10 am

I really want to try PIYO. I just wish it was a little cheaper. The most I’ve spent on a workout DVD before is $10! haha
    Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted…Weekend Snapshots 7.21My Profile

July 21, 2014, 11:11 am

That makes sense girlie – there are 7 workouts with it!

July 21, 2014, 10:47 am

I go through spurts in how often I practice flexibility. Trying to get back into it more routinely now
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…At-Home Weekly Workouts 1My Profile

July 21, 2014, 11:23 am

I’ve heard so many great things about Piyo but didn’t really know what it was. Thanks for explaining Kat! It sounds like so much fun and something I’d definitely be interested in trying! And doing it at home would be great because the hubby could join in!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #81!My Profile

July 21, 2014, 12:17 pm

I didn’t realize PiYo was a cardio-type workout. I know I neglect stretching and flexibility training. Something like this could be just what I needed to get more out of my workouts

July 21, 2014, 3:41 pm

I definitely don’t do enough of either! I need to get back into it and I’ve never heard of this but anything I can try at home is good. We have a small town and I don’t think they offer PiYo but there’s no excuse if all I need is the internet 🙂
    Ursula recently posted…To Infinity Scarf and Beyond!!My Profile

July 21, 2014, 9:45 pm

I am the worst with strength and flexibility, but yoga does not do it for me. Wish I could beam you to my gym to teach.

July 22, 2014, 7:33 am

i’d love to try piyo sometime!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…How To Prepare For A Walk With A BabyMy Profile

July 23, 2014, 9:12 am

I wish you could come to my class! But there is the at-home version that I coach with too 😉

July 22, 2014, 8:39 am

I take an advanced yoga class once a week to get in my stretching, and fit it in after my CrossFit and running workouts as well. You’re so right, stretching is essential in helping muscles get stronger and increase our flexibility. That’s awesome you found something that fits you and your lifestyle! Keep it up!
    ~Bre
    Bre & Ree recently posted…scrapbook: stand up paddle boardingMy Profile

July 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

I am so interested in PiYo, I really want to try it!!
    Kelly @ Cupcake Kelly’s recently posted…Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: I’ve Got a Golden Ticket!My Profile

July 22, 2014, 11:43 pm

I want so PI… YO! 😉 LOL jk! I never liked PIE. However, I have a feeling I would really like this work out style!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Poppin’ Tarts In The KitchenMy Profile

July 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

[…] Want to know why PiYO? Take a look at Kat’s blog for a good analysis! […]

July 25, 2014, 11:59 am

EEk I love PiYo, I was taking a class once a week for it in the fall. Then I changed gyms (because a corp. bought out the other one and I didn’t like that corporation) and the new gym is fabulous and has a million classes…but not PiYo ( I am still working on getting them to do it!)
    Laura @losingrace recently posted…Week 7….Anti-TrainingMy Profile

August 6, 2014, 6:36 pm

I’m loving PiYo! I can feel myself getting stronger and stronger!
    Amalia recently posted…Cookbook Review: Michael Smith’s Family MealsMy Profile