Training Tip of the Week – Balance and Stability

Hubby and I say HELLO from Disney World! We’re here to learn about Disney’s Youth Sports Programs at the Wide World of Sports – I’ll be sure to recap our experience this weekend later in the week!

For this week’s Training Tip of the Week, I wanted to touch on Balance and Stability! Balance and Stability training are both vital to beginning someone’s fitness journey for a multitude of reasons. They both help to engage the core and strengthen the powerhouse that balances the whole body and also help to correct any overcompensation issues that may exist before starting into more difficult training methods that require alignment first. Balance and Stability are ALSO both areas to CONTINUE focusing on and blending into our fitness plans so that we maintain that focus on a consistent basis too!

BalanceTitle

WHY should we take time for Balance and Stability training?ย We tend to create a lot of our own imbalances from our every day habits – and these aren’t habits we should be blamed for, they’re a way of life. Whether we’re sitting at a desk or sitting in a car – we can cause our hip flexors to be overactive – we can even sit ON a leg we favor worsening that situation. I wrote HERE about how sitting can be pretty bad for us, so how can we correct some of these issues?

BalanceEx

There isn’t a lot of equipment or time needed in order to target Balance and Stability work. Sometimes there are modalities you can blend in such as balance bars, a Bosu platform, or balance pad – but they’re not necessary per say.

Above are a few ideas for Balance and Stability exercises you can do at least once a week.

Standing Balance: Standing with the back in neutral spine but with good posture, decide on a leg to balance on to start. Slowly lift the other leg to a 90 degree bend and hold for at least 10 seconds before lowering it and switching to the other side. You can progress this movement by adding movement and side stepping with a larger range of motion or even adding in a hop.

Extended Leg Balance: To progress the Standing Balance even further, you can extend the leg once balanced at 90 degrees to also enhance quadricep strength before bending again and lowering back down.

Single Leg Reach: Once you’ve nailed down the Standing Balance and Extended Reach, you can add in a reach down to the standing leg’s foot. Before doing this, ensure that the standing leg is slightly bent or enough to make sure that leg isn’t hyper-extended.

The key to Balance work is to test out which side has the most balance and identify which needs more help – we always have one side that’s a little slower than the other. Making each side of the body work independently forces them to work better as a cohesive unit over time!

Hopscotch – another fun idea, just saying.

Do you need more time spent with Balance and Stability training?

What habits do you have that could cause some imbalances?

July 14, 2014, 8:49 am

My old trainer had me do this a lot for my knees. I hated working on it vs more hard core workouts, but it was always so helpful afterwards.
    Kimberly (Manifest Yourself) recently posted…Summer Fun, Fashion and FitnessMy Profile

July 14, 2014, 7:35 pm

For injury recovery balance and stability are both perfect to realign us back to our normal selves!

July 14, 2014, 10:25 am

When I injured myself a couple years ago we started focusing a lot of balance for rehabilitation. It’s so big and I never realized how I lean to one side when I stand, but as a result my legs muscles don’t have the same flexibility and I get problems in my left knee all the time.
    Ursula recently posted…When life gives you a heat wave, donโ€™t be dumbMy Profile

July 14, 2014, 7:35 pm

We tend to use our ‘good’ other side when we are hurt and then that can create overcompensations for sure – balance and stability are great to address that little by little.

July 14, 2014, 10:32 am

These are great. I’ve felt so off balance lately. Thanks for sharing!
    Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted…Weekend Snapshots 7.14My Profile

July 14, 2014, 11:45 am

I definitely need to work on my balance! I’m going to try these moves! Thanks for posting Kat! Have fun in Disney!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #80!My Profile

July 14, 2014, 7:36 pm

We all tend to miss it – thanks girlie!

July 14, 2014, 12:06 pm

I have so many imbalance issues due to a car accident, a broken ankle and the lifestyle of being in front of a computer at a desk all day ๐Ÿ™ Been working through them though and PiYo has really helped as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Lisa RunFastMama recently posted…What a weekendMy Profile

July 14, 2014, 7:37 pm

PiYo has a ton of balance and stability movements that I love!

July 14, 2014, 2:38 pm

Since getting into PiYo, I’m seeing just how off my balance is!! Hopefully it will get better as I go through the series. I’m not the spring chicken I used to be. ๐Ÿ™‚ XO
    Jessica @ Sweat Is My Sanity recently posted…Healthy Breakfast Burritos To Go {and Mexico trips}My Profile

July 14, 2014, 7:37 pm

You’re doing great with PiYo girlie!

July 14, 2014, 7:28 pm

I am the worlds worst balancer. Its ridiculous. LOL! I am trying to get better at it. Thanks for posting these exercises, I will be doing them tonight. You ROCK!

July 14, 2014, 7:37 pm

Thanks girlie – you should tag me if you do take a pic later, it’d be great if you did some! I’m flattered ๐Ÿ˜‰

July 15, 2014, 7:37 am

single leg anythings are so hard! probably due to my imbalances haha
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Tips For Flying With A BabyMy Profile

July 15, 2014, 8:39 am

I’ve started doing more balance and stability training! I’m liking the challenge of it
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Creamy Garlic HummusMy Profile

July 15, 2014, 8:46 pm

I am horrid with balance and working on it. Lots of single leg deadlifts.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…My First Official Weight Watchers MeetingMy Profile

July 16, 2014, 11:39 am

aw you’ll get better and better!

July 21, 2014, 9:43 am

[…] morning, I did some balance exercises I found from Katrina Elle, and 150 core exercises. Kyle and I plan to get a workout in […]

July 21, 2014, 11:10 am

I love working out at home!