Training Tip of the Week: Get OUT of that comfort zone!

From personal experience, I’ve learned that not all tips related to training and fitness have to relate to a particular workout or exercise or even nutrition. One of the biggest tips anyone ever gave me was for me to get OUT of my comfort zone to see results long term.

TTOTWComfortZone

Now, I’m never one to have people feel completely uncomfortable in a negative way where they are turned off from a particular workout or way of eating. What I mean by being UNCOMFORTABLE is to try something new, something that is outside of the regular routine, to ignite change in a steady routine.

Here’s some ways to think about GETTING OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE.

purplebullet

Change up the timeframe of your workouts!

Have you tried to wake up at a new time or switch a workout to include a midday walk or evening run? Changing the times of our workouts could help challenge our bodies to utilize energy at other times during the day.  It can also help us to see if there is a more efficient time for us to get out workouts in. I used to try to workout after work and then saw I was skipping them because of something coming up in the day or because I was just too tired from the day. I started to wake up earlier in the morning so there was NO excuse for me not to workout, not as early as when I marathon trained but early enough. I end up feeling even more hyped to start the day once I know my workout was already done – anything else was a bonus!

alarm

purplebullet

Be Brave. Just because something is scary doesn’t mean you can’t tackle it.

Many of us started our fitness journey with incremental bouts of fitness. I know I used to walk Jaeden 3 times a week for 30 minutes a day. When I began to plateau, I tried something new. It was never anything completely outlandish, just something different than what I was used to. I went indoor rock climbing for a while and even began running, Insanity was the biggest catalyst of change within me. It could be a new fitness class you’ve wanted to try out and never had or a race you’ve been eyeing that you hadn’t quite worked the nerve to register for.

IMG_4214

Stage jump? I’d never done it before! Don’t mind if I do!

purplebullet

Make new friends!

Like-minded people, whether they’re online or in person, help us to achieve our goals and stay laser-focused. Like attracts like I always say. Friendships have taken on a whole new meaning for me as I’ve gotten older. The friendships I have now are ones that are about genuinely caring about each others’ success. I used to be the person who always kept to myself and didn’t talk much – believe it or not I was quiet. Now, I think “what would it hurt just to say hi or talk to someone?” I chat with whomever now, might as well! Making new friends has been one of positives of blogging and being out there in group fitness classes and races. Those opportunities aren’t times to necessarily show up and leave – engage with people and you’ll be glad you did!

IMG_0902

Hey there! Since we’re just here foam-rolling, how was your race?

If all else fails – remember “What have you got to lose?” 😉

How have you stepped out of your comfort zone in order to grow with your training or fitness?

What ideas do you have to keep this going?

August 11 my next PiYo Group starts! Now that’s a workout that was out of my comfort zone at first that I now LOVE! Enter your info HERE to get more info!

July 28, 2014, 7:40 am

Waking up early (4:30-5:00) to workout and getting into running has really pushed me out of my comfort zone and helped me to see results. Not only do I feel accomplished at the beginning of the day but I also seem to push myself harder in the morning than I did when I used to workout at night!
    Annmarie recently posted…Pro Compression Calf Sleeves Review & Discount Code 🙂My Profile

July 28, 2014, 1:43 pm

For sure, that’ll change things up won’t it?

July 28, 2014, 8:32 am

I actually LOVE trying out new workouts…it’s good to keep it new and fresh so you don’t get bored and not do it!!

July 28, 2014, 9:26 am

I am getting out of my comfort zone a lot lately! and I LOVE it!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…The Busy TrapMy Profile

July 28, 2014, 9:45 am

I’ve been thinking I need to do this too.
    It’s so easy to get stuck in the same way of working out; especially when you teach group fitness and have part of your exercise schedule dictated by that!
    Tamara recently posted…The Miracle Marathon | doing it for the kidsMy Profile

July 28, 2014, 1:44 pm

You’re so right! Routine builds a sense of calm for me and I sometimes hate to jar that calm feeling!

July 28, 2014, 10:06 am

I have gotten more into weightlifting – after years of being a running/cardio bunny, it feels great to pump that iron!!
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…Sunday Scenes – There’s No Place Like HomeMy Profile

July 28, 2014, 1:44 pm

Yea girl make those guns~

July 28, 2014, 10:47 am

I stepped out of my comfort zone in a big way when I joined my coached running group last October. It took me over two years to have the courage to go because I did not think I would be fast enough, or would be too old, or you know, anything. Now, they put me out of my comfort zone every week with the speed or tempo workout and I love it. And of course the name of the group is perfect too, Without Limits. Whenever I think that I can’t do something, I think of the hardcore Ironman triathletes in my group who are simply amazing.
    Pam recently posted…A post-run scareMy Profile

July 28, 2014, 1:45 pm

it’s always great to change things up even weekly!

July 28, 2014, 11:44 am

I love the idea of changing up the time you workout as a way of getting out of your comfort zone. Waking up at 4:45 am would definitely be a change for me and I’m sure I’d end up meeting new workout ideas just by going to the pool or track at a different time of day.
    Ursula recently posted…Meatless Mondays: Sushi Bowls with Cauliflower RiceMy Profile

July 28, 2014, 1:48 pm

You never have to get up that early, but it’s an idea right?

July 28, 2014, 1:01 pm

Great tips,this is just what I needed today! I’m heading to a Tabata class tonight and I’m nervous since I’ve never tried any type of interval training in a group setting. But I know just TRYING the class is a victory in itself.
    Kerry @ Snark & Pepper recently posted…My Inappropriate Yet Highly Effective Personal MantraMy Profile

July 28, 2014, 1:48 pm

No problem, girlie, thanks for reading!

July 28, 2014, 1:38 pm

Great post. I love that picture of you jumping off the stage! It’s hard for me to imagine you as reserved because you were so outgoing and friendly at FitBloggin. It’s crazy how much getting out of our comfort zone can change us!
    Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted…Weekend Snapshots 7.28My Profile

July 28, 2014, 3:15 pm

I definitely get “new workout jitters” and just tend to stick with training very much the same way I have for the past 2 years. I only really pushed out of my comfort zone out of desperation when I was injured! Good thing to think about 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Does Running with a Garmin Slow You Down?My Profile

July 29, 2014, 7:59 am

I love to try new fitness programs, but I’ve never really changed up the times of my workouts. I’m either an early morning runner or a mid morning yogi, but I think that’s mostly because my schedule depends on my little ones.
    I do agree that getting out of your comfort zone can catapult your fitness success.
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…Pregnancy Update – 33 WeeksMy Profile

July 29, 2014, 8:05 am

you’re so right – getting out of the your comfort zone is such a great way to grow and improve!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Why I Started BloggingMy Profile

July 29, 2014, 9:26 am

It’s so easy to get stuck in a routine and continue to do what’s comfortable. Becoming uncomfortable is important and it really helps you grow. Great post Kat!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted…Yoga with Tara Stiles at the Reebok FitHub Union SquareMy Profile

July 29, 2014, 9:44 am

running with Kyle always helps me get out of my comfort zone, he pushes me to go faster and farther
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Taco PastaMy Profile

July 29, 2014, 1:44 pm

Great tips! We just moved last month and I don’t know my neighborhood well yet, and made myself get out and jog yesterday. I had been putting it off because it doesn’t feel like my “hood” yet, but I felt great after. It was just what I needed….to step OUT!
    Nichole recently posted…Food and Wine Conference Experience #FWConMy Profile

July 30, 2014, 1:09 pm

That’s a great way to get UNCOMFORTABLE quick girl!

July 29, 2014, 4:41 pm

THIS GIRL NEEDS TO STEP OUT OF HER COMFORT ZONE ASAP!!!!!!!! It’s time so break out of my shell and try something different, goodness gracious! LOL! This morning I did happen to forget to set my alarm so I worked out a little later than normal, does that count? LOL!!!!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Sharing The SamePlateMy Profile

July 30, 2014, 1:46 pm

Definitely have to step outside comfort zone in life and training to really succeed and see where you can go.

I can totally attest to the fact that working out at different times of the day can make you a stronger more versatile person and athlete. I work 2 jobs and sometimes that means I can work out in morning, sometimes at night and sometimes mid-day. Learning to roll with the punches and be able to change things around is important and has made me more efficient in working out and in my day to day life.
    Laura @losingrace recently posted…ROC Training: Working My Way BackMy Profile