Finding My Niche Pt 2: Defining Coaching

Identifying WHO you are within any role can be a challenging one! I know I’ve talked about how to Find your Niche when it comes to blogging [or in general] to keep a tight focus on what you write about or focus on with social media. I, myself, also had a Part 2 to my thought process when it came to WHAT I did as a Fitness Professional and Coaching.

I certified as a NASM Certified Personal Trainer last July – I can’t believe it’s been a year already! When I initially certified I wanted to focus on helping others with their fitness journey both in person and online with my blog – I wanted to train people live as well as do targeted posts on training tips and workouts. I was able to also teach Insanity classes at the gym I was working at. After in that gym environment for around 6 months, I realized that it wasn’t for me. I’m sure there are other pleasant gym environments out there, but I wasn’t able to find that in my area. So, I decided to branch out and become certified in PiYo to be able to increase my niche with flexibility that included stretch and strength and look elsewhere for places to work with clients.

IMG_4600

I had to figure out how I wanted to blend in my knowledge as a Personal Trainer, Beachbody Fitness Coach, PiYo and Insanity Group Fitness Instructor – how would I PAY FORWARD everything through different methods online and in person?

I decided to narrow down my blog posts and hone in on a Training Tip of the Week, Weekly Workouts, and include another post within the week. Blogging 3 days a week made it easier for me to be specific with my writing as well as not spread myself too thin in the blogging part of my life. I proactively looked for smaller fitness studios so that I could continue teaching PiYo and Insanity – smaller studios with patrons that wanted some new workouts and were open to trying new workouts on the schedule. Through word of mouth, other opportunities presented themselves too.

As a Beachbody Fitness Coach, I use my knowledge from NASM to not only recommend workouts that would fit each individuals’ needs but also nutrition in the form of Shakeology to make lives easier while getting in quality nutrition that is in one scoop a day versus needing a ton of food prep or research. We do online groups so that we all can support one another while posting our workouts and having accountability – versus just all working out on our own and not checking in. If someone is a runner or has an injury, I can feel comfortable making recommendations to their workouts and assisting with modifications as needed also.

So, WHY am I SHARING all of this? As a reminder:

NicheTip

Many of us went to school for one thing or another or even have certifications in various roles. We have to remember to keep our minds OPEN to what we can do with all of those skills and education and not corner ourselves into having to fit the mold of one ‘title’ or another.

Have you had to redefine yourself like I have?

What ideas have you had to think creatively about when it comes to your niche using what you already know?

And as always if you ever need any questions answered about how I can help you as a Fitness Coach go HERE, or how you can become one go HERE

August 13, 2014, 9:39 am

Love it. I don’t particularly want to be in the gym either so I’m trying to redefine my purpose as a trainer as well.

August 13, 2014, 12:38 pm

It’s a tough place to be in to brainstorm but once the lightbulb goes off and we run with it, it’s great!

August 13, 2014, 9:42 am

I have LOVED following your journey to finding your niche girl! You are amazing and such an inspiration!!!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…10K After the Rain!My Profile

August 13, 2014, 12:38 pm

Thanks so much Mindy! You’ve seen me change a lot huh! You are as well!

August 13, 2014, 10:24 am

Great reminder! Sometimes I think it’s tough to step away from that tunnel vision of what we’ve been trained to do. But finding your niche lends itself to finding your passion and being better at your job 🙂
    Ursula recently posted…Why I Dislike BodybuildingMy Profile

August 13, 2014, 12:39 pm

It’s so easy to get caught up in it for sure!

August 13, 2014, 10:48 am

I never wanted to be in a gym setting as a trainer either. But I loved gaining the knowledge from the NASM certification. One day, when my kiddos are a little older and I’m planning to study for my yoga teacher cert. But that is years in the making…
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…Hub Family Organizer App ReviewMy Profile

August 13, 2014, 12:39 pm

No more of that kind of gym for me!

August 13, 2014, 12:24 pm

Way to make your dreams come true! You are doing so much good for so many people! Way to go!
    Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted…On-The-Go Snacking TipMy Profile

August 13, 2014, 12:40 pm

Thanks Erin, you are going to hit your goals too mama just keep at it!

August 13, 2014, 8:00 pm

I have absolutely loved following your journey. You’re such an inspiration and I cannot wait until we can finally meet in person!

Which is why I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. You more than deserve it! 🙂
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Very Inspiring Blogger AwardMy Profile

August 13, 2014, 8:23 pm

I love that you found your happy place!

August 14, 2014, 8:34 am

Aaah… I feel like I redefine myself all the time. Or maybe, I am to remind myself of the goals I am setting to define myself. does that make sense?
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Honey Sriracha VinaigretteMy Profile

August 14, 2014, 12:31 pm

I feel like I am in a constant state of honing it down to define who I am as RunFastMama – this was a great post! It gave me lots to think about as far as the “weekly” posts go and it just might make my life even easier 🙂
    Lisa RunFastMama recently posted…Join the Wake-Up Club!My Profile

August 30, 2014, 8:45 am

Great post! Finding your niche is really challenging and going there is a rough road but you made it! It’s very inspiring and please do keep it up.
    Next Level Fitness recently posted…I’m Not Motivated Enough For The GymMy Profile

May 18, 2016, 3:46 pm

Great Tips Katrina.

I strongly believe there is a sweet spot that we should all strive for. The sweet spot is the intersection between what the fitness/yoga instructor LOVES and what the market demands.
    Brandon @ TheYogaNomads recently posted…How to Discover your Niche as a Yoga TeacherMy Profile