Training Tip of the Week: Use that Body Weight

Recently, I’ve started to to lift weights again. I appreciate the challenge of using the entire body and lift any sort of weight. With resistance and strength training though, my favorite go-to for travel or ease of workouts will always be body weight exercises!

There are a multitude of standard exercises using one’s own body weight that include lunges, squats, push-ups, and chair exercises. Not only are these types of exercises easy to do on the go, they can challenge your body to work all of the muscles to maintain form rather than rely on a seated position or to hold an external load.

Today let’s explore some other exercises for body weight resistance movement ideas!

Suspension training has been a favorite of mine ever since I took my first TRX class and attended more training at IDEAfit East. We’ve since had the opportunity to have Suspension straps at the house, that we can use for strength utilizing our own body weight. No matter what size someone is, they’re using their own body weight and are able to adjust the straps to their desired height for each exercise. Therefore, you have to trust your core for stability and utilize alignment to enhance the effectiveness of each strength movement. Here I’m doing my favorite suspension exercise, the lat row, where you can adjust difficulty with the positioning of the feet for more or less leverage. Below that, I’m performing a plank while using the suspension straps; this takes away the stability of the feet to focus more energy in the core area.

Latrow

SuspensionPlank

Speaking of, Plank variations can include anything from a stable plank, to a shifting plank to work the core. You can also use principles of plank variations to align the core and keep the same focus on hands and feet to perform push-ups of all kinds, including V Push-ups that I learned with Insanity. These push-ups tend to focus more on the deltoid (shoulder) muscles as well as the upper back instead of the chest and triceps primarily. V Push-ups are a favorite plank/Pushup variation and body weight exercise of mine that I do when we travel. Adjustments can be made with feet positioning, but the key is to try to do as much of a vertical pike position as you can before lowering your head down to the floor with your arms and coming back up. Taking breaks can help ensure you’re using proper form before proceeding to more repetitions.

VPushup

PiYo lunge pulses challenge not only our alignment and form when beginning in the high lunge position, but also when we lower down into a lower lunge using our arms for balance. This is a fun lower body move in PiYo both in-class and in the at-home version. Starting in a Warrior 2 position, you adjust yourself to face front almost like a Warrior 1 before lifting arms up and then bending the front knee and lowering arms down.

PIYOPULSELUNGES

How do you get in your resistance and strength training?

Do you prefer weights, body weight, or both?

September 29, 2014, 7:24 am

Love body weight stuff! I have never taken a TRX class… I want to!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…Shift in PrioritiesMy Profile

September 29, 2014, 11:03 am

OOH You’d love it girl!

September 29, 2014, 7:48 am

preference doesnt matter right now 🙂
    IT’S ALL BODYWEIGHT.
    CARLA recently posted…The way you do 1 thing is the way you do EVERYthing.My Profile

September 29, 2014, 11:04 am

OOOOH and playgrounds!

September 29, 2014, 8:16 am

Good idea! I love using my suspension system for exercises….I am sure you saw my post on that? Actually we have a few of the same ones, although i have not done it in a few weeks as our new place does not have anywhere to put them! These look great, and it is amazing how strong we can get by just using body weight! Especially if you go slow!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Kale, Butternut Squash and Feta SaladMy Profile

September 29, 2014, 11:04 am

I’ll check out your post soon girlie!

September 29, 2014, 9:53 am

Love your new series!! I am starting to do some weight lifting 2x a week. It is a big change for me, but so far I am liking it!
    Krysten (@darwinianfail) recently posted…6 things I learned from My 1st Trail RaceMy Profile

September 29, 2014, 11:04 am

Thanks Krysten! I love taking time to focus on different training methods and options for sure!

September 29, 2014, 10:00 am

Love bodyweight workouts! I always seem to sweat just as much as when I do weight training!
    Annmarie recently posted…Meatless Monday: Stuffed Collard Leaves with BBQ Infused Tomato SauceMy Profile

September 29, 2014, 11:04 am

Exactly! And sometimes I feel like with body weight my form is spot on way more than when I lift

September 29, 2014, 1:20 pm

Love it! I prefer weights, but since I’m stuck at home with the little one and not able to hit up the gym, I’ve been getting more and more creative with bodyweight strength training.
    Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers recently posted…Beerific WeekendMy Profile

September 30, 2014, 7:07 am

this reminded me I need to add my strength training into my running plans. It’s important to stay strong while training!!

October 1, 2014, 2:28 pm

I love strength training, so crazy how it helps us with our cardio and all around fitness!

September 30, 2014, 7:15 am

love that TRX and body weight move. The best for travel workouts too!

October 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

yes! I have to remember to bring mine next time haha

September 30, 2014, 9:09 am

I love body weight stuff because I can do it at home!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…#BuildIt With Chocolate Milk!My Profile

October 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

me too girl! We have our workout room, but I love using my own body so I can challenge myself

September 30, 2014, 9:18 am

Oh my gosh – pulses are a great way to feel the burn!! I remember when I did Insanity, the cardio recovery was one of my favorite (lol no jumping stuff in it), and the pulses were sooooo hard. I need to get my hands on the equipment for suspension training!
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Spicy Pepperjack Chicken DipMy Profile

October 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

Oh yes~ I love doing those when I teach PiYo and Insanity to change things up a bit!

September 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Body weight workouts are hard but I always feel so strong afterwards! Great post!
    Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted…Running my first 10kMy Profile

October 3, 2014, 11:34 am

I love the variety of both, but this week we did a ton of body weight at CrossFit and most of the time it’s the body weight workouts that get me sore for days!
    ~Bre