Are you eating ENOUGH?

In some of my weekly roundups, I’ve talked about how I realized I wasn’t eating enough through tracking food again with My Fitness Pal. I saw that at some points I was at 800-900 calories a day and that is NOT okay! My body was starting to tell me something – and I had to listen. I’ve had this conversation with a few people around me and some others about people wanting to cut back on their food because they think that’ll help them lose weight. Less food in means less fat out right?

Most times, when we’ve been through a weight loss journey it was from eating too much – the case for me. However, many issues with weight increase (or loss many times) can stem from taking in too FEW of the calories you need a day and from the proper sources for those.

The thing to keep in mind is the KIND of calories you choose to take in and how those are used within the body.

Let’s look at a real life example using my personal choices THEN and NOW >>

My ‘old self’ would choose to eat an entire Totino’s pizza for dinner. Yup! I’d even fold it in half and treat it like one big pizza slice. Then, I’d wonder why I was hungry and feeling bloated an hour or so later. Keep in mind that the label showed “2 servings” in the pizza – no sir it was not!

Party_Cheese

“2 servings” in ONE Totino’s party pizza

INSTEAD, I would now choose to get a BIG Qdoba Burrito bowl, naked, with chicken and veggies (sometimes rice) with 10g less fat, 55 less carbs, 8g more of protein, 1/2 the calories, and loads more nutritional value from the natural whole food ingredients in it.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 4.52.19 PM

A sample nutritional panel from what I’d eat at Qdoba

Now, the pizza shows there is actually Iron and Vitamin A in the pizza. Some would think this is beneficial – remember if you get your vitamin sources from a natural source it does absorb more naturally into the body. Plus, the list of ingredients you can’t pronounce over there on the right – yeah, that’s cause for concern and I’m glad I haven’t had one of those in ages…especially not on a regular basis.

My “Old” me would eat more calories and not enough nutrition, therefore feeling hungry even after a whole pizza. The “New” me would rather eat more food [in volume] that also has the bonus of being beneficial to my nutritional needs.

You want to treat your body like the engine that it is too. If you take in UNDER the amount of calories you need for it to function, it WILL shut dan and not perform as it should. Take breakfast, for example. It’s called BREAKFAST for a reason – you need to break the fast that your body undertook while you were sleeping. Skipping breakfast confuses the body and causes it to ‘hold on’ to what fat and energy you DO have because it’s unsure what your thought process is.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Eat enough of the RIGHT foods each day to ensure that your body is FUELED properly for what you want it to accomplish!

Have you taken a deeper look into the content of what you eat through tracking or journalling?

October 29, 2014, 7:23 am

I have never tracked my food, but probably should. Living with a fast metabolism makes it possible for me to eat quite alot, so I never really think about it. Eating properly is important to me since I want to keep fit for all my activities. I do take multivitamins as well to supplement what I might be lacking day to day.
    Pam recently posted…Marine Corps Marathon – the highs and lows.My Profile

October 29, 2014, 7:38 am

It’s a work in progress for me for sure!! Currently I’m working on bringing my food and not eating the gross stuff available at the school cafeteria. It may not be exactly balanced yet but it’s more nutritious than before! And obviously I use my fitness pal – we hang out on there sometimes 🙂
    Amalia recently posted…Travels with Mark: Meet MarkMy Profile

October 29, 2014, 7:42 am

(((YES THIS!!! I saw it so so so frequently when I owned my studio)))
    CARLA recently posted…Must we put others down to feel better about ourselves?My Profile

October 29, 2014, 7:45 am

What a great comparison! So many of my clients come to me technically starving because they are eating nutrient poor foods and eating too little. They always looked surprised and scared when I tell them to eat more.

October 30, 2014, 8:26 am

yes, i see that a lot. less is not the focus, more NUTRIENTS are. well said

October 29, 2014, 7:47 am

I track my macros to make sure I’m getting enough protein and carbs to fuel my muscles and enough fat for its health benefits, hormonal necessity for women…and it’s dang delish – but I used to try to eat as little food as possible and track that. 🙁
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday – Constantly Snacking!My Profile

October 29, 2014, 8:34 am

I think this is something so many people miss – the whole it’s x number of calories so it’s ok trap. Quality quality quality. And I’m crazily amazed at how many of my clients UNDEReat so drastically. Your body resets itself over and over. The less you eat, the more it tries to conserve. Total backfire. And the thing is you see everywhere, on all the “health” magazines and websites these diets for 1200-1500 calories. But that’s not what’s right for everyone, but that’s what everyone is bombarded with. I’ve even seen someone who I had sort of looked up to in the fitness world promoting 1200 calorie diets. Sigh. I’ll step down now 😉

October 29, 2014, 9:03 am

YUMMMM Qdoba!

I just started tracking again on MFP.. mostly making sure I am eating ENOUGH! I struggle most on non-workout days or weekends; when I am out of a routine sometimes I have to remind myself to eat!
    Jennifer recently posted…Mental Toughness: Untrained 10k and CrossfitMy Profile

October 29, 2014, 9:36 am

I’m so over calorie counting culture but agree it can be good to check in and see if you are eating enough, getting enough protein, etc. Frozen pizzas never fill me up even if they are a healthier, yummy kind!
    Lauren recently posted…My New Fall Fashion StaplesMy Profile

October 29, 2014, 10:59 am

Great tips and information! I find that many fitness junkies and runners do not eat enough for the calories they burn. Do you think not taking in enough food/nutrients makes us prone to injury too?

October 29, 2014, 1:50 pm

I know I need to eat more fish but it’s hard for me to bring myself to do it!
    Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted…Fall Weather RunsMy Profile

October 29, 2014, 5:32 pm

If you know me… You KNOW I eat enough food… Of the RIGHT foods 😉
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Water You Drinking?My Profile

October 30, 2014, 5:39 am

I’ve tried journalling my food intake, but that was just too much work for me. I try to keep a mental count of how often I eat sweet stuff.
    xiomeeks recently posted…How far is too far to walk?My Profile

October 30, 2014, 7:21 am

Such good info!! I always feel better and fuller when I eat whole foods. But sometimes Pizza is good too!
    Krysten (@darwinianfail) recently posted…Ask Me Anything: GriefMy Profile

October 30, 2014, 8:24 am

Love this! It’s about those macro AND MICRO nutrients! Gotta give the body what it needs!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…Halloween Meal Plan IdeasMy Profile

October 30, 2014, 9:19 am

Oh I’ve really dug deep into this during my weight loss journey! I make sure I eat at least 1200 calories each day. And I make those calories nutritional…not junk. I feel so much better now than those days when I too ate an entire Totino’s pizza by myself!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…Turkey Trot 5K Recap!My Profile

October 30, 2014, 8:16 pm

This is something I am really working on.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Weight Watchers – Week 15 of MeetingsMy Profile

October 31, 2014, 10:53 am

Yes, I eat when I’m hungry because my body is telling me it needs fuel. I usually start with a small snack of veggies and water to see if that does the trick, if not I go for something bigger! I have been tracking in MFP again too. Somedays I am satisfied around 1400, other days I’m ravenous and come in around 2200. I just roll with it!
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Garlic Roasted Pumpkin SeedsMy Profile

November 4, 2014, 6:44 am

YOu’re a smart cookie girl!