Today I get LASIK!

I’ve been wearing corrective lenses or glasses ever since I was 9. So, I guess I’ve been semi-blind for over 24 years! I never thought much about it since most of my family (ALL of us except my brother!) wear glasses. I moved to contacts when I was 13 after 3 people in the Eye Center held my hands down to get in my first pair. Since then, I’ve gotten used to wearing contacts to have 20:15 vision instead of squinting to see everything around me.

I tinkered with the notion of having surgery to correct my vision for the past few years. LASIK or Lasik (Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis), commonly referred to as laser eye surgery or laser vision correction, is a type of refractive surgery for the correction of myopia, hypermetropia, and astigmatism. I have Myopia, which means I am near-sighted and can’t see far away without corrective lenses or glasses. I never gave it a second thought until I started having longer days staring at the computer and my eyes became more and more tired and dry once I got home and settled down before dinner. The way the surgery fixes my eyes is to ‘reshape’ my cornea and get it back to where it should be to see properly without a lens over it.

LASIK

After going to a free consultation a few weeks back, and talking to hubby about it more, we were set to schedule surgery for today! I had to wear my glasses for two weeks to reshape my eyes (without contacts) which has made jumping around and sweating that much more fun. I also had to get super-dialated and have some final readings of my eyes done to be sure the laser settings were good to go!

At lunchtime I’ll be under the laser! So, this time tomorrow, I’ll be able to see without any glasses or contacts YAY!

Have you had to wear corrective lenses or had LASIK before?

November 5, 2014, 7:54 am

(((sending you thoughts of ease and success)))
    Carla recently posted…Shedding good habits.My Profile

November 5, 2014, 8:01 am

I want to get it done so bad! If only insurance would cover it. Good luck girly!
    Crystal H recently posted…Ornaments with Love Review and GiveawayMy Profile

November 5, 2014, 8:10 am

I had LASIK done 13 years ago! BEST decision ever! I was near sighted too and had an astigmatism. My eyes were so bad I could barely see anything even close up. Enjoy your new eyes!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…Senior Bowl Charity Run 10K Recap!My Profile

November 5, 2014, 8:25 am

My husband really wants this but has reservations. Speedy recovery to you–and please share your thoughts about it!
    Jennette recently posted…A Management Philosophy As Fresh As The Menu: Innovative Leadership and PizzaMy Profile

November 5, 2014, 8:37 am

So excited for you!! Hope it all goes super smooth and you have a quick recovery.
    Diana recently posted…Epcot Food & Wine 2014My Profile

November 5, 2014, 8:39 am

I had it done a couple of years ago and am so happy with the results! I hope you love it and that it all goes well for you.
    misszippy recently posted…Birthday lessonsMy Profile

November 5, 2014, 9:11 am

Can’t wait to hear about it! I’ve been dying to have it for years! I keep telling myself that it’ll be my 40th birthday gift to myself. Can’t wait to read about your experiences. Good luck!
    Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted…Up Close With History at KSCMy Profile

November 5, 2014, 9:23 am

I’ve worn corrective lenses since 6th grade, probably needed them sooner. I’ve heard some good things about Lasik so I wish you the very very best and speedy recovery for those peepers!

November 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

I love it thanks girl!

November 5, 2014, 9:42 am

I had a laser surgery done about 18 years ago, but due to an astigmatism, it did not fully correct my problem. However, I wear glasses only to drive and at the movies!
    Pam recently posted…How to lose your running buddy during a night raceMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

It’s healing great no regrets so far!

November 5, 2014, 10:06 am

Good luck today! I can’t wait to hear how it goes.
    Mellissa recently posted…Wine Wednesday Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre (GSM)My Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

Thanks Mellissa! xo

November 5, 2014, 12:21 pm

I wear contacts and would love to get lasik someday!
    Lauren recently posted…Turkey Pumpkin ChiliMy Profile

November 5, 2014, 4:27 pm

Excited for you! Hope it goes well
    Stacey recently posted…Only a few will catch your heartMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:10 pm

Thanks Stacey I’m loving it so far!

November 5, 2014, 7:46 pm

I wear contacts half the time and glasses the other half. Have since I was little.
    Cannot wait to hear how it goes.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…5 Tips to Prevent Holiday Weight GainMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:10 pm

thanks Abby! It’s like a whole new world!

November 5, 2014, 8:24 pm

Hope everything goes great for you!
    I had LASIK about 8 years ago – so nice to not have to pop my contacts in at 4:30 am every day or to watch TV in bed without glasses!!!
    Kim recently posted…Family DinnerMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:10 pm

Thank you Kim! It’s amazing the difference in lifestyle!

November 6, 2014, 6:03 am

Getting lasik 10 yrs ago was one of the BEST decisions I ever made…I was blind as a bat without my contacts before like literally couldn’t see hardly anything!!! and now I’ve been better than 20/20 since 🙂 Hope you rested and are taking it easy but boy oh boy I remember how exciting it was to first open your eyes and see 🙂
    Sarah@creatingbettertomorrow recently posted…Blogging BreakMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

Haha sounds like me, thank you!

November 6, 2014, 12:31 pm

I’ve been wanting it! I’ve worn glasses for 16 years now and wore contacts for a very brief (maybe 8 months?) during high school, but I have bad seasonal allergies that really affect my eyes, plus dry eyes, so the contacts didn’t last very long!
    Sheena recently posted…Official SF Marathon photosMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

Girl, it’s amazing – full review soon once I can put on makeup for video haha!

November 6, 2014, 4:28 pm

Wishing you a speedy and pain free recovery!!! Hopefully you will bounce back quick and see better than ever!
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…Vegetarian Crock Pot Breakfast CasseroleMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

It’s such a huge difference, thanks Julie!

November 6, 2014, 11:16 pm

Ahh! So exciting. I hope everything went ok. My hubby had it done more than 10 years ago and he is still seeing great. xo
    Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted…Training LatelyMy Profile

November 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

It went awesome, thanks Jesica!!