Fat Loss: The Not-So-Secret Formula

When we have a goal to ‘lose weight’ the term itself can be a bit off in concept RIGHT FROM THE START. I mean, when I think back to when I was trying to ‘lose weight’ I didn’t care about WHAT weight I lost from my body, just that I saw the number on the scale go down more and more – which created bad habits for me, and I’ve since changed the name of the game to FAT and not WEIGHT LOSS.

We can all admit we’ve tried a gajillion ways to get our bodies to lose the fat we want to lose, right? From fad diets, to magic ‘spot reducing pills,’ to exercising until we drop…there’s really an easy and NOT-SO-SECRET formula behind how to lose Fat: Energy + Energy out = Bye Bye Fat.

Let me break that down for you a bit so I give you the details.

Energy in: What kinds of foods are we eating? Whole foods that come from nature, including lean meats, vegetables, grains, beans, nuts, and fruits (ALL depending upon dietary restrictions) tend to be the best choice for someone if they want to lose fat. Processed foods have added ingredients or are made in a way that confuses our body and the way it processes that food FOR energy. Therefore, to keep it simple, aiming to take in whole foods for the majority of our diet ensures we’re feeding our bodies the right way.

Energy out: Physical activity [any] for at least 30 minutes a day can help us stay healthy and our bodies functioning properly. We were never meant to be sedentary beings – we used to hunt and gather and do physical labor like it was no one’s business. Our society is now more sedentary than ever, due to our technology and advancements throughout time, so we must make time to GET UP and MOVE. Now, the kind of exercise and moving around doesn’t initially matter, long as we’ve moving and shaking. However, if someone wants to lose fat, they can’t just do ONE form of movement and expect our bodies to increase muscle which is the catalyst for fat loss. Strength training TEAMED UP WITH cardio is the key to keeping our body composition ‘tighter.’ If you look at it in layers, we have bones that need muscles to fill in the space between it and the fat and skin of our bodies. Also, muscle built on our bodies ignites more fat burn and we want it to take up more space in our bodies than fat [aside from the fat we need to survive – but that’s a whole other scientific formula.]

Bye Bye Fat: Eat properly, exercise regularly with a variety of workouts that include cardio as well as strength and flexibility [to prevent injury] and POOF, fat will go away. When we take in more calories and more fat and more protein and more carbs than what we burn off, the opposite can happen or a plateau can happen. They key is to NOT starve our bodies of the macronutrients it needs to function, but to create a balance of energy in and energy out.

formula

Bonus tip: DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Your muscles need water to grow and it’s the #1 natural source our bodies need to function, period. Also, drinking water helps you to feel full AND helps protein to process into the muscles!

Have you had to change things up to break through a fitness or fat loss plateau?

What whole food fuel do you love to eat?

November 10, 2014, 7:43 am

I’m all about FAT loss – weight just isn’t top priority for me any more. I’d rather have plenty of muscle than care about the number on a scale!
    Ruthie@She’sWickedHealthy recently posted…10 Simple Ways to Detox For Winter (And Why Now is the Perfect Time!)My Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:11 pm

Amen sister, weight is only a number and unless it’s very ‘telling’ it’s just an indicator

November 10, 2014, 8:42 am

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I’ve learned so much during my “fat” loss journey! My favorite whole foods are squash, zucchini, and sweet potatoes! Yum!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #97!My Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:10 pm

Funny how it takes us so long to learn something so simple right?

November 10, 2014, 9:51 am

It’s all about getting that hard work in to see results. There are not shortcuts. I’m hoping to keep on it through the holidays and see great results in the new year.
    Diana recently posted…Epcot Food & Wine 2014My Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:10 pm

Absolutely Diana!

November 10, 2014, 3:14 pm

it truly is about what you eat and sleep and how you manage all that stress. I agree! sometimes we just need to stick to basics. eat real, move, laugh, rest, repeat
    Lindsay recently posted…Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup {Cotter Version}My Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:10 pm

I agree that sleep is another part of that formula!

November 10, 2014, 4:02 pm

Well put! I think it is so funny that everyone makes it so complicated! It just takes a bit of work and determination. That being said…I need to go refill my water glass! 😉
    Annmarie recently posted…Meatless Monday: Cilantro Lime Quinoa Collard Green BurritosMy Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:10 pm

Seems like there’s gotta be more to it right?

November 10, 2014, 6:03 pm

These are awesome tips! I had to cut down on my juice intake to help in my weight loss journey. Happy Monday, Katrina 🙂

November 10, 2014, 7:02 pm

Yes! We talk about the energy balance equation at work all the time. Even though it’s simple, that seems to be elusive for some people when they try to lose weight. I love bananas! And I recently brought another water bottle to work so I have to go back to the fountain for refills less often 🙂
    Christine recently posted…Richmond Ready!My Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:09 pm

Yes, because it’s like hey wait there’s gotta be more to it!

November 11, 2014, 9:02 am

Great Post! It’s so easy and simple, but people forget to apply it.
    I love all the veggies. Collard greens are especially yummy to me. and I’ll get to eat plenty of them over Thanksgiving. yay!
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…Currently – November 2014 and a giveawayMy Profile

November 12, 2014, 9:09 pm

Thanks mama! Balance is definitely key!