Do you use the right SHOE?

Foot wear.

It’s a part of our workout uniform – even having shiny new kicks can motivate us to get THROUGH a workout!

I remember when I first started working out I had ONE pair of sneakers. They were the sneakers I ran in, did the elliptical in, did group fitness class in. I would have aches and pains in my foot but didn’t think too much of it.

As the years have gone by and I’ve not only run some races and taught some classes, I’ve learned a thing or two about footwear and how it can have an impact on your workout – how finding the right shoe can help you perform in those workouts also.

Let’s take a peak at RUNNING SHOES first and their function, primarily in the sole of the shoe:

RUNNINGSHOES

Traits to keep in mind when it comes to Running Shoes: Tread on the sole that leads the body to go forward in a frontal plane of motion primarily, Stability and support in the insole of the shoe or all along the bottom, and a higher heel raise to take pressure off of the heel of the foot when running. My favorite running shoes are the Brooks Womens PureCadence 2 Running Shoes (on the right. On the Left are the Reebok Women’s One Cushion Running Shoe.)

Now let’s look at some CROSS-TRAINING SHOES and their differences from Running Shoes:

crosstrainers

Pardon the dirty under-side of my Reebok Dance shoes – they’ve seen a lot of Disney park pavement 😉

Traits to keep in mind when it comes to Cross-training Shoes: Tread goes in all directions to allow for diagonal movement, a Lower heel thickness to give even support for jumping movements and flat landing for weight lifting, No stability as the heel doesn’t take much impact in most cross-training workouts (at least not the brunt of it.) My favorite cross trainers are these shoes – on the left are the Reebok Women’s Studio Choice Mid Dance Shoe and on the right are my Reebok Women’s Crossfit Nano 4.0 Training Shoes.

What can happen if you wear a shoe that isn’t ‘suited’ for the exercise you’re doing?

Many times when I chat about shoes with others they tell me about pain in their calves or the inside of their foot when then use running shoes for group fitness classes or other workouts. On the opposite end, when using cross-trainers to run there’s pressure on the heel and no ankle support when going longer distances. Remember to use the shoe for what it’s intended to be used for. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the workout is ‘hurting’ you, just that the foot or legs aren’t getting the desired support for that activity.

There is even more to lifting shoes versus cross training shoes and crossfit shoes versus non-crossfit shoes – the moral of the story is to be sure to use the right shoe for the workout you plan on doing.

What to you keep in mind when looking for a particular shoe for workouts?

Have you had this happen where you feel tweaks and twinges with improper foot wear?

December 29, 2014, 9:25 am

I love this post! Most people don’t realize the important of footwear for exercise and needing several pair for various activities. Spending my on shoes should be first and foremost when getting into an exercise program. You can really workout in some of the clothing in your closet instead of spending lots of money on cute workouts. Shoes shoes shoes!
    Pam recently posted…Tips for Dopey Challenge….it’s almost here!My Profile

December 29, 2014, 10:51 am

I so agree with this post! You definitely need the right pair of shoes for the exercise you are doing!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #103!My Profile

December 29, 2014, 11:35 am

I have some shoes that I only wear to teach in Reebok and other shoes I ONLY run in Mizunos/Saucony then I have some I only buy because they are pretty and serve no real purpose. It took me a while to know the difference and abandon Nike altogether. I haven’t found the perfect all around shoe yet, I’m still looking. Great post another place to look is arch support, not all shoes are created equal.
    Renee @ Bendiful Blog recently posted…Meatless Monday {Recipe Round Up 2014}My Profile

December 29, 2014, 1:47 pm

SUCH an important topic! I wore the wrong shoes for years. A good shoe fitting at FeetFirst and I’ve never shopped the “clearance” section again! Great post 🙂
    Steph recently posted…Holiday cheer (and recipes!!!)My Profile

December 29, 2014, 7:55 pm

Getting g my first running shoes was t n best, made such a difference. And after getting some reebok nanos for my shaun t workouts, my legs feel great. The shoes do make a difference!
    Diana recently posted…Currently…My Profile

December 30, 2014, 8:46 am

Great read! I need to get better about wearing cross-training shoes… I am usually so focused on running that I just tend to wear my old running shoes to cross-train in which isn’t good. oops. Thanks for the tips 🙂

December 30, 2014, 11:30 am

The right shoe is so important! I have usually just gone barefoot during my cross training sessions but now have a dedicated shoe for when I’m jumping and moving around 🙂
    Annmarie recently posted…ASICS Gel-Fit Sana ReviewMy Profile

January 4, 2015, 7:02 am

[…] Do You Use The Right Shoe? via Katrina Elle – Good info on the difference between running & group fitness shoes. Footwear is so important. Take it serious & don’t skimp on it. […]

March 18, 2016, 5:52 pm

So true. When I finally got a pair of weightlifting shoes, my squats actually felt “right”

March 29, 2016, 12:37 am

I try many many shoes, but i always feel pain in my foot back ankle after running.
    Urooj recently posted…Different Types of Sneakers For YouMy Profile

July 13, 2016, 10:32 am

Super informative. I have so many different pairs of shoes for fitness just for the reasons you’ve listed above.
    Sarah recently posted…WelcomeMy Profile

January 28, 2018, 9:49 pm

wow!! I love this post!! I bought shoes last month, i feel pain in my foot after running, so i try another shoes, purchased from online store, and i got 50% off by using promo code, toms shoes promo , you an use this code, and get upto 50% off, so i suggest you try this code. The quality of shoes is too good.