Vanity pounds: Are our goals realistic

Listening to a podcast from Chalene Johnson this past week she had me thinking in my ‘old self’ brain about how I was guilty of a subject she brought up related to weight loss plateaus – Vanity Pounds.

She spoke about how to break through weight loss plateaus through a myriad of methods, but that many of us tend to feel ‘stuck’ because maybe our goals aren’t as realistic as they should be in the first place. She was SO RIGHT!

What are VANITY POUNDS?

Have you ever said “I wish I could be ____ pounds again….” or “________ celebrity or fitness personality is ____ pounds, maybe I should shoot for that…” I HAVE! I remember looking at celebrities before and if I felt they were within my height range, I would literally google them and if their weight popped up I’d say “Hmm, what’s where I should be!” No shame in being honest, body image was something I struggled to get a real handle on for years and years on end!

After taking my own ‘statistical data’ from people I’ve talked to or interacted with I realize that well over 75% of us don’t have realistic goals when it comes to our weight loss or fitness goals. This isn’t to say there’s anything wrong with that, as I’m guilty of the same thing. However, it can take away from what we’re truly capable of and us taking the time to acknowledge our milestones along the way.

Celebrate Non-Scale Victories instead of focusing on a number! The scale will own you and steal away your well-deserved progress if you continue to focus on a weight that a) shouldn’t matter and b) may not be realistic to you and your personal goals or size/proportions.

Here are some ideas for Non-Scale Victories you can focus on instead of Vanity Pounds:

* How many more push-ups can you do now than 3 months ago? How about using your knees and then not?

* How about your ‘goal pants’ – how’s the fit on them now?

* Are you seeing more definition in your booty?

* Did you find your tricep?

* Have you had to go shopping for a new, smaller, size?

* Has the doctor looked at your blood work and complimented your biometric results?

* Are you able to come off of medication you’ve been on because your internal health has improved?

* Can you go up all of the stairs at work without heavy breathing?

The list can go ON AND ON!

So, let’s celebrate MILESTONES and stop focusing on VANITY POUNDS ya’ll!

What’s your view of vanity pounds, have you experienced this hiccup before like I have?

December 3, 2014, 7:29 am

I haven’t been guilty of this is a long time. Things changed when I realized how much muscle I have. I always weigh more than it looks like I do so comparisons are usually off. That said I think your suggestions are so wise. Of course we all want to look good. But I think shifting the focus to what your body can DO is healthier.

December 3, 2014, 8:12 am

EXACTLY

December 3, 2014, 8:31 am

Love it! Before I got pregnant again I was sure i’d weigh ____ by little ladies first birthday. I really had to change my mindset and say hey, my body grew a human is growing another human – and that’s AMAZING!

My focus is now on
    1) being thankful I can still exercise through my pregnancy (and train for goofy)
    2) filling my body with healthy foods for baby & me!

So sad how easy it is to fall into the trap of what we think we should look like or weigh verses what milestones we are hitting daily!
    Erin recently posted…A Thankful Heart.My Profile

December 3, 2014, 8:42 am

Great post. It makes me sad to see people comparing themselves to unrealistic goals. At the same time, I sometimes question my comfort with my own body image. It is total vanity and it’s amazing how widespread the lack of confidence goes.
    carrie@familyfitnessfood.com recently posted…Let’s See How This GoesMy Profile

December 3, 2014, 8:49 am

YES!!!!! Love this post Kat! Now that I’m maintaining my weight I don’t focus on the pounds but instead on the way my clothes are fitting.
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…Magic Christmas in Lights at Bellingrath Gardens!My Profile

December 3, 2014, 9:21 am

Love this Kat! The scale is such a deceiving number, especially since as we become stronger and increase our strength building, our muscles will develop more, and muscle weighs more than fat. Reaching other goals is definitely a milestone worth striving towards and then celebrating!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…2014 Turkey Trot RecapMy Profile

December 3, 2014, 8:04 pm

Yes, milestones and NSV should be celebrated!
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Reindeer Run 2014 – GoalsMy Profile

December 3, 2014, 8:32 pm

I love this concept!
    I used to be obsessed with vanity pounds, but the truth is that never really motivated me. Stepping away from the scale and focus on fitness goal instead has helped me make MUCH healthier choices and consistently!
    Krysten recently posted…The 10 Most Important Lessons I Learned Before My 30th BirthdayMy Profile

December 5, 2014, 6:46 pm

The scale can be such a progress-monger!

December 5, 2014, 6:57 am

I JUST listened to this pod cast while working out this AM – great pod cast (aren’t they all) and great post – I love my NSV!
    Sarah@creatingbettertomorrow recently posted…Friday Facts December 5, 2014My Profile

December 5, 2014, 6:43 pm

She’s such an amazing teacher!