Listening to a podcast from Chalene Johnson this past week she had me thinking in my ‘old self’ brain about how I was guilty of a subject she brought up related to weight loss plateaus – Vanity Pounds.
She spoke about how to break through weight loss plateaus through a myriad of methods, but that many of us tend to feel ‘stuck’ because maybe our goals aren’t as realistic as they should be in the first place. She was SO RIGHT!
What are VANITY POUNDS?
Have you ever said “I wish I could be ____ pounds again….” or “________ celebrity or fitness personality is ____ pounds, maybe I should shoot for that…” I HAVE! I remember looking at celebrities before and if I felt they were within my height range, I would literally google them and if their weight popped up I’d say “Hmm, what’s where I should be!” No shame in being honest, body image was something I struggled to get a real handle on for years and years on end!
After taking my own ‘statistical data’ from people I’ve talked to or interacted with I realize that well over 75% of us don’t have realistic goals when it comes to our weight loss or fitness goals. This isn’t to say there’s anything wrong with that, as I’m guilty of the same thing. However, it can take away from what we’re truly capable of and us taking the time to acknowledge our milestones along the way.
Celebrate Non-Scale Victories instead of focusing on a number! The scale will own you and steal away your well-deserved progress if you continue to focus on a weight that a) shouldn’t matter and b) may not be realistic to you and your personal goals or size/proportions.
Here are some ideas for Non-Scale Victories you can focus on instead of Vanity Pounds:
* How many more push-ups can you do now than 3 months ago? How about using your knees and then not?
* How about your ‘goal pants’ – how’s the fit on them now?
* Are you seeing more definition in your booty?
* Did you find your tricep?
* Have you had to go shopping for a new, smaller, size?
* Has the doctor looked at your blood work and complimented your biometric results?
* Are you able to come off of medication you’ve been on because your internal health has improved?
* Can you go up all of the stairs at work without heavy breathing?
The list can go ON AND ON!
So, let’s celebrate MILESTONES and stop focusing on VANITY POUNDS ya’ll!
What’s your view of vanity pounds, have you experienced this hiccup before like I have?