Ketosis – it’s NOT “Good” for you

Today I wanted to talk about a topic I have seen in recent ‘trends’ with diet and quick-fix weight loss lately – focusing on getting the body into and then remaining in “Ketosis” for a month.

WHAT IS KETOSIS (in the quick-fix diet world, in a nutshell)?

In the “quick fat and weightless world of fad diets and trends” it’s defined as: a state at which the body has an extremely high fat-burning rate. Even the brain runs on fat, via ketone bodies. These are energy molecules in the blood (like blood sugar) which become fuel for our brains after being converted from fat by the liver. Basically, you CUT OUT carbs completely (even whole food ones) and eat solely proteins and fats.

In the “real world of proper health and fitness through proper diet and nutrition” it’s truly defined as:

1. a condition characterized by raised levels of ketone bodies in the body, associated with abnormal fat metabolism and diabetes mellitus.

Now, many websites and “medi-doctors” just put a disclaimer on their Ketosis recommendation noting “Not recommended for Type 1 Diabetics”… but why would anyone want to shift the body’s normal process for utilizing energy …. and better yet, pee bright yellow?

ktnstbx

Living with a Type 1 Diabetic, I learned what Ketosis was early on in our relationship before I heard about it in the ‘diet world.’  My husband is to AVOID going into Ketoacidosis which is caused by allowing Ketosis to go too far.  Ketoacidosis can lead to a coma or death.  By drinking plenty of fluids and eating  a balance of healthy carbs and fats and proteins all throughout the day and proper use of insulin (if you are Diabetic) you can avoid this condition.  Ketoacidosis can also happen to those who suffer from Alcoholism, starvation, or an overactive thyroid.

Dangers of Ketosis:

High cholesterol. Some protein sources — like fatty cuts of meat, whole dairy products, and other high-fat foods — can raise cholesterol, increasing your chance of heart disease. However, studies showed that people on the Atkins diet for up to 2 years actually had decreased “bad” cholesterol levels.
Kidney problems. If you have any kidney problems, eating too much protein puts added strain on your kidneys. This could worsen kidney function.
Osteoporosis and kidney stones. When you’re on a high-protein diet, you may urinate more calcium than normal. There are conflicting reports, but some experts think this could make osteoporosis and kidney stones more likely.
Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can dull appetite and cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

captain-planet

In a nutshell: Your body NEEDS carbohydrates, fats, AND protein – ALL of the macronutrients – to live a balanced and healthy life utilizing fuel for each time we need it to in the RIGHT way.

Disclaimer: This post is based solely on my own experience and those who I’ve seen hurt their body through this process. I am not a doctor or medical professional, but also think that those who claim to be and force anyone into an unnatural process should rethink their stance. The moral of the story is to use ALL foods to fuel yourself properly and ensure you’re not relying on ANY “Diet” to change your life for the long term – Lifestyle changes including seeing ALL Whole Foods as healthy and necessary is key to ongoing success with health, In my opinion 😉

Have you tried an Adkins or other high fat/low carb/low something/high something else diet?

How do you balance all of your macronutrients in your day?

January 5, 2015, 7:56 am

Great info Kat! I had no idea about any of this stuff. And it sounds really dangerous for diabetics. So important!
    Krysten recently posted…2015 Running Goals…or lack there of…My Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:32 pm

Thanks Krysten isn’t that crazy?

January 5, 2015, 8:09 am

As a type 1 diabetic I know first hand that it is an awful condition. Thanks for sharing!
    Pamela Hernandez recently posted…Set S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Goals in the New Year Ep 121My Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:32 pm

I’m glad you could benefit from this post Pam!

January 5, 2015, 8:28 am

Ahhhh when I was a trainer hardcore Atkins was all the rage.
    Carla recently posted…The world is full of nice people.My Profile

January 5, 2015, 8:47 am

I just read about ketosis last night in a book about the importance of a plant-based diet. It’s crazy how people don’t realize that they are eating too much protein and that you can even get your daily allowance of protein alone from vegetables.
    Great read. Thanks for sharing!
    Nathan the FFK recently posted…Guest Post: Do or Do Not…My Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:33 pm

Thanks for reading!

January 5, 2015, 9:14 am

I’ve heard a lot about it lately and didn’t think it sounded like something you needed to push your body too. Love the Captain Planet graphic!
    Lauren recently posted…Goals for 2015 {and looking back at 2014 in photos}My Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:33 pm

Haha I love it right?!

January 5, 2015, 10:04 am

I’ve never heard of this! Granted I do try to eat more protein because of my active lifestyle but I still eat plenty of carbs! I’m not sure I could subsist on a completely carb free diet! Thanks for the info.
    Jill recently posted…I’m Baaaaaaaaack….and, I Missed ChristmasMy Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:33 pm

It’s smart to balance it all out, thanks for reading!

January 5, 2015, 10:42 am

Preach!! I get so tired of people hating on carbs….please don’t tell me my rolled oats are bad for me, cause I’m not listening!! Balance is key and although I’m trying to focus on eating more protein, I’m not cutting anything out.
    Kate @KateMovingForward recently posted…Anniversary Weekend Recap & January GoalsMy Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:34 pm

Carbs are our friends for sure!

January 5, 2015, 11:13 am

Thanks for this info Kat! I didn’t know what ketosis was. My brother is a diabetic so this is good info to know. I remember when the Adkins diet was so popular. I never tried it though because I like my carbs too much. It’s all about a healthy balance!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #104!My Profile

January 5, 2015, 1:35 pm

I appreciate you checking in on this important info Mindy!

January 5, 2015, 12:00 pm

I LOVE this post. I’ve done the Atkins thing in the past and always feel sick. Balance for me!
    Wendy @ Wholistic Woman recently posted…A Marathon in 2015?My Profile

January 5, 2015, 10:33 pm

I went to a medi weight loss center and totally pushed my body into ketosis to lose weight. I really wish I had educated myself better before doing this fad diet. Great info like this is important for people to know.
    Great post Kat, as always.
    Haley @ Running with Diapers recently posted…2 Year BlogiversaryMy Profile

January 6, 2015, 8:20 am

Thanks so much for explaining this! I’ve heard of Ketosis and know someone that lost weight doing Paleo and Ketosis diets, but I wasn’t sure how or what exactly Ketosis was.

January 6, 2015, 10:45 am

Great post Kat! It’s always nice when health-focused writers encourage a more balanced diet versus whatever the latest fad is. I knew several people who tried this and got really sick actually. Not to mention their bodies went into shock when they returned to previous eating habits as Ketosis was not a diet their lifestyle could maintain.

Nice work!
    Shannon recently posted…Bring on the Homemade Ugly Sweater! Blogmas Day 11My Profile

January 6, 2015, 6:02 pm

Oh, the world of quick fix diets we live it! Thanks for sharing the great information. I’ve read a lot about ketosis, but you did a great job summing it up in a way that is easy to understand!
    Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! recently posted…Three easy high protein meal ideas + A Spartan Race Entry GiveawayMy Profile

January 9, 2015, 7:57 am

For anyone who exercises, I don’t know how they’d cut out carbs completely. I so need them for energy. Thanks for the post, very informative!
    Bre & Ree recently posted…paleo quicheMy Profile