Slow and Steady wins the Weight Loss Race

In this world that we live in we all seem to get caught up on the notion of INSTANT GRATIFICATION, right?

We want EVERYTHING and we want it NOW – I am one who knows this all too well!

Back when I was in my yo-yo dieting days I remember falling into that trap even harder. I wanted to lose weight, quickly and thought that if I took the next fat burner or did the newest diet pounds would just melt off. Well, they may have off and on but they all came back. I HAD TO LEARN THAT A SLOW AND STEADY PROCESS was key to keeping healthy habits going long term and for me to see success in my future.

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 12.51.24 PM

Did you know these facts about healthy weight loss?

* You have to EAT ENOUGH of the right whole and natural foods to ignite your metabolism

* The average healthy poundage a week for weight loss is 1-2 at most a week

* It takes 3500 calories to lose 1 lb – so you’ve gotta work it off while you monitor what you eat

* It’s a combination of exercise to fine tune the body and use energy + eating the right foods that can be properly utilized BY the body

Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 12.53.48 PM

* Fads and pills will sometimes immediately impact the body, but WON’T help us lead healthy lives fueled by exercise and good food LONG TERM

Don’t let the I WANT IT NOW mentality hinder your ability to do big things with your goals and progress!

It’s always worth the hard work: eating the right foods and learning how to make healthy recipes, building muscle to fill in our curves and features in the body, and seeing gradual change.

Inside and out, taking the slow and steady road will KEEP you at your HEALTHIEST long term!

[Tweet “Slow and steady wins the #WeightLoss race” via @KatrinaElleP]

Do you get caught up in the feeling of INSTANT GRATIFICATION

How do you take smaller steps to ensure you’re seeing progress in a solid versus quick-fix way?

February 9, 2015, 7:41 am

So so true! It took me a while to get where I’m at but it was so worth it! Taking it slow also forces those healthy changes to become habits which is what our goal should be!
    Mindy @ Road Runner Girl recently posted…The Weekly Chase #109!My Profile

February 9, 2015, 8:10 am

Way to go! Healthy living isn’t always easy or glamorous but its always worth it. One day at a time, one work out at a time, one meal at a time. Keep up the journey.
    Krayl Funch @ An Appealing Plan recently posted…On My Bedside TableMy Profile

February 9, 2015, 9:03 am

This is such a great reminder that weight loss is a slow and steady process. While shows like Biggest Loser are very inspirational, they do not present a realistic way to go about losing weight and being able to maintain that weight loss in the long run.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Shamrock Half Marathon Training Log – Week 12My Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:11 am

Thanks Kathryn! I agree and dislike those shows for that reason

February 9, 2015, 9:32 am

AMEN! It really is a slow and steady race, you have to teach yourself along the way. The biggest loser style stuff doesn’t work because you can’t maintain that and you haven’t taught yourself or your body how to change you are just SHOCKING yourself into fast weight loss which is HORRIBLE for your body. I get people love that show but it makes me cringe. And most of those people gain all their weight back because they did it for a quick fix.
    Renee @ Bendiful Blog recently posted…Whipping up Dessert {Yoplait Greek 100 Whips}My Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:11 am

yes, we learn bit by bit to accept the good we’ve done and just apply a little more over time for sure!

February 9, 2015, 11:26 am

I certainly WANT to slim down fast. But I’ve never fallen for the fad diet trap because I’m too smart. 🙂 I grew up dancing, and while I didn’t ever struggle with eating disorders, I was around plenty of girls who did. It made me more conscious to be careful myself. That said, the slow and steady can get quite dreary. Smaller progress goals help.
    Larissa recently posted…|marketing| How to take quality photosMy Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:10 am

I wish I was smart all of the time, but most of us learn the hard way!

February 9, 2015, 3:47 pm

Hi Katrina! Like most things in life — you have to work for it and you have to be patient. Small daily steps in the right direction will take you where you want to be. And although there are a lot of “fast results” diets and plans out there, we all know that slow and steady sure does win the race. Good one! 🙂
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…The weekend, my workouts and the new VINT appMy Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:10 am

It’s natural to want quick results, but the patience we learn helps the process for sure!

February 9, 2015, 4:05 pm

Great post Kat. In this day and age, everyone wants results instantly and that is just not a possibility with something like weight loss. I hope you treated Gary to some nice birthday surprises yesterday! Have a great week!
    Pam recently posted…Princesses can be Champions too!My Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:10 am

Thanks Pam! I agree

February 10, 2015, 8:08 am

Yup every lasting body change I”m made has been just little incremental things!
    Amanda – RunToThefinish recently posted…Race Medals Worth The EntryMy Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:09 am

baby steps make a huge difference!

February 10, 2015, 10:59 am

I think this is the problem with our instant gratification society. Everyone wants a quick fix for anything and everything. At least there are people like you out there to provide the voice of reality!
    Lisa @ Lisa Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Find Your Voice: Grow AuthenticityMy Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:09 am

isn’t it crazy how quick of a return we all feel?

February 10, 2015, 9:50 pm

Such a practical yet hard lesson to learn. When I hit a wall, I like to go back to the basics of tracking my calories with my fitness pal, it helps you see what is going into your body.
    Erin recently posted…The results are in…My Profile

February 11, 2015, 9:08 am

Isn’t it – that’s how we learn, the hard way, right?