When you hear “PLYO” what do you think of??
Many fitness nuts refer to this as the short name for the lovely form of exercise called PLYOMETRICS!
Plyometrics are jumping exercises where we jump trying to exert the most power possible in short intervals of time. In other words, we try to be as “Explosive” as we can in plyometric movements.
Plyometric exercises a.k.a. plyos are generally used to help increase athletic performance and speed as well as improve agility and coordination. They help to utilize multiple muscle groups at the same time which can improve our ability to burn fat and improve endurance at the same time. By doing plyometric drills and exercises, you can also work to break through plateaus with performance to increase the calories you burn in a session as well.
So, WHAT SHOULD WE KNOW BEFORE WE PLYO??
* Make sure you have a solid base of fitness FIRST before any sort of high or big jumps..
* Ensure the body if warmed up properly so that muscles are warm, blood is circulated, and the body is ready!
* Stick with forward and backward motions before going side to side as lateral movement isn’t what we normally do on a day-to-day basis
* Watch your height – don’t do super high box jumps or leaps until you’ve set a foundation
* Wear the right shoes – running shoes can hurt the arches of our feet because they are not meant for jumps. Flat and level bottoms with a small drop would be best
THE MORAL OF THE STORY – PLYOS ARE AN ADVANCED FORM OF EXERCISE – make sure you’ve set a solid foundation before doing them, there’s never any harm in that!
Have you done plyometrics before? What benefits have you seen from doing them?
Any other questions you have about plyos?