My Week in Training: Grow, Muscles, Grow!

I write this “Week in Training” post with little T-rex arms that wish I were smart enough to ‘talk to blog’ instead! I like to start every week with a word of INTENTION and focus for the week of training. This week, that word was STRENGTH!

I haven’t felt this STRONG nor this LEAN since before I birthed little K! It’s taken a long time to get my bearings about myself post-baby, but I know that patience has paid off along with being smart about how I train!

I’ve been able to maintain short and [sometimes] slow runs to get activity in for Tayler while being smart to not overtrain myself! The focus, however, has been to create consistency with longer intervals in my training and increasing the load of my weights. Heavier weights DON’T make you bulky if done in the right regimen!

Complex Training FTW

If you haven’t heard of it, Complex Training is a new way to circuit train or weight train that blends many different disciplines! It’s about sometimes using higher weight, sometimes using cardio intervals, sometimes using moderate weight with longer rep sets, the whole shebang! I’ve said this before on my Social Media + in my posts, but I try to change the game every 6-8 weeks so my body is always in a mode where it can adapt! There are many different ways to approach complex training, but the ultimate goal is to increase athletic performance through resistance training being added to the mix. Increased muscular power = increased athletic performance!

For now, my usual training outline during this cycle looks like this –

Sunday – Easy Run/Hike + a 30-45 min easy Peloton Ride

Monday – 30 Minutes of Core stability Metabolic Conditioning + 45 min hard Peloton Ride

Tuesday – 20 Minutes of Strength Complex Training + 30-45 min easy Peloton Ride

Wednesday – 20 Minutes of Core stability Metabolic Conditioning + 2 miles with the pup + 45 min Moderate Peloton Ride

Thursday – 45 min easy Peloton Ride + easy hiking/walking

4/26/18 7:04 On Demand Matt Wilpers 10 min Cool Down Ride
4/26/18 13:49 On Demand Jess King 30 min Low Impact Ride
4/27/18 14:45 Live Robin Arzon 45 min Live DJ Ride
4/27/18 15:33 Live Robin Arzon 5 min Post-Ride Stretch
4/28/18 6:30 Live Robin Arzon 45 min Intervals & Arms Ride

Highlights of the week:

I was able to increase my resistance load by 30-40% on muscle-specific movements which I haven’t seen gains in for around 5 years! (shift the focus, kids!)

Spring has sprung, so it’s time to throw in some playground and splash pad time with the nugget = extra cardio and endurance, no doubt!

Tayler and I have gotten some of our grooves back, amidst allergies and breathing issues on my part this time of year. I also haven’t had to slow down as much for him! Also, we’re waiting on his heat-proof socks to come in before temperatures creep up. We had to do a sock-trail which worked out beautifully and even gave me a giggle or 4 in the meantime.

It’s almost been officially a month since I’ve adjusted my eating to be about 80-90% plant-based! This isn’t a change focusing on diet adjustments for any sort of weight loss or fitness gains; it’s solely a shift in eating to help inflammation issues and increase my intake of REAL fuel through plant-based proteins and vegetables! So far, it seems to get easier day by day! I never realized how much force my stomach used to process meat until I got rid of it on a regular basis!

I felt ready to take on some challenging workouts this week, even adding in ANOTHER 45 minute PR on the Peloton with Friday’s Live DK Ride with Robin & DJ John Michael! I dedicate this one ride a week to push myself to new limits and if the day allows, a PR happens. This raises my ceiling of potential! I always tell clients to set their goals higher than they can fathom so they can take limits off of their potential and have to lead by example, right? My goal was to hit 450 KJ which is hard enough to think in my brain, and I was so close!

What specifics about my Peloton rides or workouts would you like to see each week?

How do you make adjustments every 6-8 weeks to your training schedule so you keep seeing progress?

1 Comment
    May 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Cool! That’s a clever way of lonoikg at it!