Hi, my name is Katrina.
I go by Kat or Fitty Kat! I’m a busy mama thriving in the chaos of life to balance faith, family, sanity, and work – much like many of you reading this. I’m a Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, and fan of all things related to MOVEMENT because of my humble beginnings from a story fueling me to live out my PURPOSE.
Keeping fit isn’t easy…
Like many people, I’ve yo-yo’ed through the years with diets, quick fixes and different workouts that were supposed to ‘work.’ I’ve been down the road of fat burners and get-fit-quick diets that would work at first, and then L-B’s would just tack back on when I stopped taking them. I ended up discovering that doing it the hard way, the healthy way, through proper eating and working out was KEY! “Quick Fixes” only proves to be a temporary band-aid instead of a way for me to learn HOW to adjust to a different lifestyle. I haven’t felt as fit and healthy as I do now and it was all from hard work remaining active while watching my food intake enjoying splurges here and there (not regularly.) There was & is no quick-fix or magic pill. Once I realized that and did it all naturally and trusted in God to lead my decisions in life, it all came together and I’ve maintained being healthy/fit since 2010. To avoid binging or feeling any seed of deprivation, I live according to the 80/20 lifestyle; 80% good eats and exercise along with 20% indulgence and #workhardplayhard behavior. I stay motivated by surrounding myself with POSITIVE and LIKE MINDED PEOPLE who focus on their GOALS by motivating and inspiring others!
My husband and I met as I was starting my road to getting fit [the right way.] As a Type 1 Diabetic, his goal is to focus on a healthy diet and make fitness a priority to balance blood sugars and avoid issues with his diabetes. It is a way of life for us, but doesn’t have to hinder us from living life fully! It’s now a passion of mine to be his biggest advocate as I create awareness for Type 1 management and Type 2 prevention with Diabetes.
After 6 years together, we relocated to LAS VEGAS, NV from TAMPA, FL! Our life is completely different: exploring in and living on the West coast. Our goal is to live life to the FULLEST and explore all that we can. We never knew we’d be more than the two of us and our pets, so we were be-bopping through life’s adventures without abandon and exploring how to expand our family … We began to look into adoption and fostering. Then, by the Grace of God, we found out we were pregnant on Easter morning of 2016. Our beautiful baby girl was born in November 2016!
Priorities have shifted, but even more so now we are focused on proactively keeping our focus on being healthy inside and out to live the fullest life with her and to show her she can be her best each and every day!
We have a full house that includes not only us and our [ever-growing] little, but our dog Tayler and my mama. Together, we try our best not to strangle each other while encouraging each other to be our best example for the little one in the house.
WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY OWN FITNESS JOURNEY that I work to PASS ON TO OTHERS:
- EMBRACE doing DIFFERENT & HARD THINGS – Your body will plateau once it adjusts to doing something different and when it does, you need to change things up! The trick is to be ahead of the curve rather than behind it! Find a new workout: join a friend for a boot camp, repetition variations, plyometrics, running, spinning, step…there’s so much to choose from!
- BEND A LITTLE – I remember that I can cheat, but not every day and not all of the time! Work hard and practice healthy eating 80% of the time, and then 20% of the time plan your cheats! Ice cream isn’t a good daily dessert, but good as a planned-cheat! I’ve found it takes away that feeling of “you CAN’T” and gives more freedom.
- SUBSTITUTE INSTEAD OF GIVING UP, AT FIRST: I made sure to substitute little by little so that I didn’t completely deprive myself – it takes time for our bodies to understand new foods and a new routine! I would do fro-yo instead of ice cream…almond milk instead of regular milk….you can’t take it all away or you’ll feel completely cheated with no reward in sight!
- MAKE IT FUN – Find workouts you love! Get outside and do things with your peeps! It can be a dodgeball fight or a swim in the Spring, multi-task and enjoy QT while getting fit!
Here are some random facts so you can also get to know me!
- I HATE scary movies, EXCEPT anything Zombie related – they make me laugh like it’s no one’s business! However, I’ll never join you in a scary haunted house. Nope. I’ll RUN.
- I LOVE all things DISNEY… and STAR WARS. I was always a tomboy growing up, playing in the dirt and painting the walls. I’ll always be a big kid and enjoy life’s Mickey-Mouse-ness! We had an annual pass in Florida and now partake in Disneyland on the west coast! I hope my kiddo has a baby backpack ready for ME.
- I’ll always invest in EXPERIENCES > THINGS.
- I never played organized sports nor did anything truly active until I hit 30 [thus starting my fitness journey and lifestyle] even though I was a tomboy. I was pretty introverted most of my life until I got into fitness! It was my outlet.
- I can throw down with FOOD. I balance my love of Yelping and exploring cities through food with MOVEMENT! I’m not eating out of a Tupperware container for life, NO WAY.
I find happiness through appreciating all the life and love God has given me and know that He’s given me this chance to tell my story and help others in any way I can. I keep it real, I know the struggle, and I don’t B.S. with excuses or false info. I know that if I can do it, being 50+ lbs overweight, asthmatic, depressed, smoking, partying & drinking, living life without purpose, …and now transitioning to where I am today, that anyone who wants to put in the effort can definitely do it!
Thanks for stopping by and please stay in touch on my SOCIAL CHANNELS listed below! (feel free to use the CONTACT ME tab)
And feel free to continue following me on my post-baby body journey + as I share my adventures in motherhood!
Obligatory Blog Disclaimer
FittyKat.com is a website where I share my adventures as a fitness professional, mom, wife, and overall human. My goal is to share tips with you based on my experiences and skills as a personal trainer and fitness educator. All opinions on this blog and website as my own. All sponsored posts will list details of that partnership and are a true reflection of my opinion on products and services reviewed. Any information provided here at FittyKat.com is accurate and true to the best of my knowledge, but there may be omissions, errors or mistakes. I am a fitness professional, however, any information shared with you on FittyKat.com or on my social media channels regarding workouts or exercises are done at your own risk. I am not enforcing any financial, health, nutritional, medical, legal, etc advice that could potentially cause you or someone you know harm. Please consult a medical professional if you need clearance for any medical issues or want to ensure your safety before beginning any workout program in general. I, Katrina Pilkington at FittyKat.com, reserve the right to change how I manage or run this website/blog and may change the focus or content at any time.