Friday’s Fit Fact #3, gimme!

Happy Friday everyone!
A couple of Fridays ago I started Fit Facts to spell out how my journey got me to where I am now (not perfect but way healthier than before 😉

Friday’s Fit Fact #1
Friday’s Fit Fact #2

I figured I’d add one more to the list!
Friday’s Fit Fact #3:  Replace, don’t remove

Ok so I had to remove some things from my diet. Tostino’s pizzas I was having for dinner regularly didn’t qualify as a healthy dinner, but were a part of my weekly staple before I learned to eat right. Yea, no joke man. What I mean by “replace and don’t remove” is to try to replace some of your favorite things with a healthier version of it so you don’t miss it as much or feel the need to go back to the ‘completely bad’ food altogether. We all know that when you take something away from us ‘cold turkey’ we’re more apt to sneak it back and find ways to rebel unless we can fill in that bad habit with something else. So, with pizza for example, I changed ingredients around to make it healthier. For example, we use cauliflower crust and enjoy pizza while it’s loaded with veggies instead of fat and not-so-good-for-you starchy carbs ALL of the time. I may have pizza on my cheat days, but I try to eat clean for the most part during the week. If I don’t have the time to use cauliflower, I’ve found refrigerated, whole wheat doughs we’ve used also. Instead of ice cream, which was something I ate a lot of back in the day, I now am addicted to frozen yogurt – I know it’s not the bees knees of healthy eating per say, but it’s a treat in the right direction. (Omitting ice cream in and of itself will help with weight loss and fat loss – have you ever seen how many movie stars actually eat ice cream on purpose just to gain weight for roles?? Red Flag.) I found that when I replaced items I was used to eating, I gained more creativity with my diet instead of feeling like I was left with a void – a pizza-less void. No one likes a pizza-less void.

Have you practiced this fit tip? Or do you quit foods all together?

This Friday I am also observing a National Holiday highly revered day that I get to enjoy once every 2 weeks or so – a mental health day. I decided to stay home today to a) catch up on sleep (these early morning runs + work + life + later working hours creep up on ya) and b) paint! … oh and c) grocery shop and d) do laundry….2) play with Jaeden…well, you get the point.

I got the sleep in..Jaeden and I played a little tic-tac-toe…and I plan to head to Bikram yoga class around lunchtime to get a good sweat in on this active-rest day to prep for long run tomorrow…13 lovely miles!

Happy Friday!
xo, Kat

October 19, 2012, 1:24 pm

LOVE mental health days!!

I used to eat pasta ALL the time. Like 5x a week probably in my single life. I pretty much have given it up altogether, and honestly, I don’t miss it as much as I thought I would. Rather than trying to find a substitute (unless you want to count spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles, which I don’t think are really the same!), I just cut it out. Once in a great while, I’ll indulge in some macaroni.. and not like Kraft macaroni.. there is a steakhouse by us that we go to once in awhile that has AMAZING homemade Mac ‘n Cheese, so it’s a super treat, but not a necessity anymore. My belly thanks me for it! 🙂

October 19, 2012, 3:25 pm

Pasta was definitely a close second! I rarely eat it unless its now rice noodles with Asian cuisine 😉

October 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

I would love a mental health day this week – working 6 days in a row! Ahhh! I am the same as Jennifer – PASTA PASTA PASTA GIMME GIMME. I have it when the craving hits – usually once every other month, but now I make it with whole wheat noodles or spaghetti squash and try to add lots of veggies instead of meats. And no Alfredo – but I don’t like Alfredo anyway, so I guess I get a little break there.

I like the Fit Facts 🙂

October 19, 2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks! I’m all about rice noodles now for sure!

October 19, 2012, 1:54 pm

Oh man, those Tostino’s pizzas were great… I used to eat a whole one for dinner almost every night when I was single. They were cheap and easy. Now, I can’t even remember the last time I bought one. 🙂

October 19, 2012, 3:26 pm

Yea and I could never buy one again!

October 19, 2012, 2:51 pm

Great Friday fact, love!!!!! You’re very wise! It’s so much easier to substitute rather than subtract! It look me awhile to learn this, but I became waaaay happier when I did!!!!! Have an amazing day!!! Xxoo

October 19, 2012, 3:27 pm

Thanks Jenna! We all learn somehow so that’s ok! Happy Friday girlie! 🙂

October 19, 2012, 5:03 pm

awesome tip! I like how you made the pizza into a healthier version!

October 19, 2012, 5:15 pm

That’s the one meal I have an issue giving up, or even replacing. I have learned also that balance is a good lesson as well. I have Pizza once every couple of weeks and I look forward to it, but the rest of the time I am pretty strict paleo. Enjoy your mental health day I am going to need one soon.

October 19, 2012, 7:50 pm

Addicted to frozen yogurt? Kat, I don’t think there is a word big enough to describe your frozen yogurt love! <3

October 19, 2012, 8:02 pm

I love pizza! And, I love your ideas for making it healthier. I generally try to limit it, but I’d feel better with a better-for-me version.

October 20, 2012, 4:08 pm

I hope you enjoyed your mental health day. I need one of those badly. It’s extra special to have a day off work when others are there.

October 20, 2012, 5:49 pm

I need to get the recipe for the cauliflower crust please. It sounds delish!