Just call me Partially Paleo

My Canadian Blogger BFF, Michelle, started a 7 Day Paleo Challenge this past weekend – and as super excited to try to get me on the bandwagon with her and her crusade. I thought..hmm…no protein shakes…no shot bloks…no greek yogurt…& most importantly, no mini Baby Ruths? We compromised on me semi-participating by trying to enjoy 2 paleo meals a day or so…compromise = the foundation that holds friendships together 😉

You can check out more on the definition and ‘perameters’ of the Paleo diet HERE. Basically, you eat like a caveman would – no processed foods: product and meats and natural goodness.

I am pretty behaved with snacks throughout the day consisting of apples and other fruits. I can also have a simple breakfast with meat and eggs or oats and chia seeds with eggs. I knew I’d still have a challenge of being Partially Paleo, but was up to try it out for the week – consciously.

Here’s a look at some of my biggest efforts this week – kind of like a “I tried to be as Paleo as I could” Photo Montage (love me, Michelle!)

Saturday’s lunch: Taco Bus taco on corn tortilla, but I didn’t eat the tortilla
then I magically had an idea to use the crockpot to make chicken salad for lunches during the week:

Pin It!

Saturday’s dinner: crockpot chicken salad w/broccoli slaw
Partially Paleo Chicken Salad
Ingredients: 2-3 Chicken breasts (depending on portions), bag of Broccoli slaw, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, salt, Adobo seasoning, 3-4 cups water, non dairy mayo/fat free ranch dressing
(super simplified version you can tweak depending on portions)
 Put 3-4 cups of water, 1 tbs soy sauce, pinch of salt, pinch of Adobo into Crockpot
Add in 3 Chicken breasts, cut chunky
Cook on High for 2-3 hours
After done, Set chicken aside to cool
“Fork” to shred meat and mix with non-dairy mayo or salad dressing of choice
Mix/toss Broccoli slaw with balsamic vinegar to desired taste
Place chicken salad on top of Broccoli slaw
Whoa la!
(I also add in relish but didn’t have any – boo)
Sunday’s dinner: Panda Express (side: mixed veggies, beef & broccoli, cashew chicken)
Sunday night we visited a local product stand
Some of our produce stand booty
Those cucumbers made a debut in my Tuesday lunch with a Whole Wheat Panini including chicken breast, pepper jack, and cucumber
Last night I also made this lovely wonder:
Chicken with Zucchini stir fry
I’ve realized that either I’m too stubborn right now or maybe when I don’t have 500 goals on my mind at the moment I may be able to move from Partially to Completely Paleo in regards to what I eat – but not right now…this girl can’t give up fro yo…no sir. I really dig the concept, though, and like to try the best I can to eat more veggies and fruits period – I can tell a difference in how they make me feel overall.
Do you practice a Paleo diet or are Partial like me or do you not want to even go there because that’s not how you get down?

October 24, 2012, 12:32 pm

I’m partial.. but mostly it’s either paleo (plus cheese) or junk 😉 I usually don’t eat many of the “healthy” foods that aren’t paleo. Gotta find your balance!

And a lot of paleo-ers do “primal”, which I am pretty sure is paleo plus dairy (if your body is okay with it). I can do that much more easily!

October 24, 2012, 12:44 pm

See I’m like you…I looked up Primal too and that’s not me. I like junk too much – maybe I’ll give it all up one day, today’s just not that day 😉

October 24, 2012, 1:03 pm

I am partial. There are some things that I just don’t want to give up. I am content being a 80% paleo eater. 🙂

October 24, 2012, 1:27 pm

I could never go Paleo unless my doctor told I had to. I love breads, pasta, olive oil and cheese way too much. No yogurt either? That’s just cruel.

Congrats on eating well and taking on the challenge!

October 24, 2012, 1:34 pm

Thanks! It’s fun to play around with recipes for now 😉

October 24, 2012, 2:11 pm

I think you are either paleo or you arne’t. If you eat grains and dairy then you are not eating paleo.

But it is fun to experiment even if it’s not for you.

October 24, 2012, 2:15 pm

Well look at you, little miss cavegirl chef!! I’m hungry now! :0) I’m definitely loving the paleo concept, but I’m only partial! Have u ever used or tried coconut flour?? I’m totally digging it these days! Love ya lady! Have a great day!

October 24, 2012, 2:27 pm

I need to get some too! Happy Wednesday Jenna! Xoxo

October 24, 2012, 2:46 pm

I do the partial paleo thing… I try not to be too strict with any particular diet, I just want to eat real whole food… but I do avoid grains and most dairy a good protion of the time. It helps with my Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and I feel generally better

October 24, 2012, 3:52 pm

You can definitely tell a difference in what you eat for sure!

October 24, 2012, 2:50 pm

I’m about 80% paleo as well! I don’t eat any dairy except for cream in my coffee in the morning, and I avoid wheat/grains most of the time. Occasionally I have rice though! 🙂

October 24, 2012, 3:53 pm

I do love rice here and there..and I like some dairy like fro yo and yogurt too 😉

October 24, 2012, 4:08 pm

Ohh I love paninis and zucchini! Looks like you’ve gone some great eats going on at your place 🙂

October 24, 2012, 4:16 pm

Hmm, tough question. I really like part of the Paleo philosophy that stresses eating whole, unprocessed foods, but on the other hand, I know I could *never* give up Greek yogurt (and chocolate, obviously ;)). Plus, I really like vegetarian proteins like tofu and tempeh, which aren’t Paleo-approved.

October 24, 2012, 8:36 pm

Amen, I love greek yogurt! I just don’t think I could take out a lot of the healthy options I eat 😉

October 24, 2012, 4:56 pm

I am partially Paleo as well, but I subscribe mostly to Paleo for Athletes Edition 1, by Joel Friel and Loren Cordain.(with the exception of the occasional pizza) Following the plan everything is Paleo with the exception of pre-workout/race and during the workout/race. In other words Kat, shotblocks would work during your workouts. Unfortunately, in Edition 2, Joel Friel wrote about 100% Paleo with recopies for Paleo race nutrition.

October 24, 2012, 8:38 pm

I’m not a recipe girl either…or a reader lol. I usually just throw things in a pan and hope for the best…I like structure just not in the kitchen 😉

October 24, 2012, 8:26 pm

awesome post!! thanks for the shout my American blogger BFF! I will post it on my FB page! xox

I am in wine withdrawal right now lol!

October 24, 2012, 8:39 pm

Aw thanks! see….you know you want that wine girl…you’re gonna drink it up after these 7 days!

October 24, 2012, 9:21 pm

Wow, that partially paleo chicken salad recipe sounds great. Love the addition of soy sauce. Also your panini looks insanely good. Is there anything better than toasty wheat bread?!

October 24, 2012, 10:37 pm

I’m half Chinese – I put soy sauce in everything 😉

October 24, 2012, 9:54 pm

ooooo. I can’t do Panda. I HAVE TO HAVE THE ORANGE CHICKEN and I want a double serving of it. That is like all my caloric intake in one meal… so evil, but so good.

Partially Paleo is better than No Paleo, right?

October 24, 2012, 10:38 pm

Evil peer pressure….ugghhhh

October 24, 2012, 11:40 pm

I have been changing one meal a day over to paleo! I didn’t want to change them all because I don’t really know what all I can make quite yet so I didn’t want to get frustrated and just be like “screw it”. slowly i will be turning but then again not every meal because like you i love my greek yogurt and all that fun stuff! (:

October 25, 2012, 12:35 am

I really like the idea of Paleo, but I don’t see myself going 100%. No Greek yogurt?!? The horror!

October 25, 2012, 1:38 am

In my (non-professional) opinion Paleo asks to give up too many fantastic and beneficial food items. I’d never switch 100%, but I do like the idea of compromising on it! I wouldn’t want to give up greek yogurt. I rely on it for calcium!

October 25, 2012, 4:13 am

I’m not Paleo but have been trying Weston A Price Foundation guide to eating and slowly getting rid of a lot of processed foods and make things from scratch. It all started when I stumbled onto http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com . I now make my own salad dressings, mayonnaise, chicken stock, etc.
    Getting off of junk food is definitely hard and harder when hubby’s gotta have his Oreos and such. But gotta start somewhere and have at least cut out a lot of unnecessary preservatives and junk from switching out store bought salad dressings and mayonnaise, etc.

October 25, 2012, 4:22 am

Oh, I saw your comment that you’re half chinese! Cool! I’m chinese, too, and have kids that are chinese/black. There are so many yummy chinese pastries and goodies that would hard to give up, too!

October 26, 2012, 12:40 am

Cool! that’s what I am! yum, I will NEVER give up those

October 25, 2012, 1:34 pm

I never knew paleo could look so good! Especially the Panda Express. Would you ever consider gong the whole hog? (I’m genuinely curious – I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t)

October 26, 2012, 12:40 am

I don’t think I could handle it…unless I was in a fitness competition or something…on a stage..in my skivies 😉

October 26, 2012, 12:26 am

That whole paleo caveman thing….
    I feel like we have advanced and that is a good thing. Cavemen wish they could put blue cheese on top of that steak they just chase down and sliced off.
    Poor cavemen didn’t have Luna bars, breads, cheese, hello no this girl will not be Paleo!

October 26, 2012, 12:41 am

Right! he didn’t have to work a full time job…he just hunted, and then ate…and then all over again! 😉