Shocking, isn’t it?

I ran a whopping 9 miles the past 2 days! Hallelujah for feeling better! Speaking of feeling better…

Ooh, wanna meet my new best friend? I named him Doc Oc.

Through some running blends like Skinny Runner, I started researching TENS or EStim machines and soon discovered that $300+ was not going to fly…especially not on a newlywed budget. Through a friend, I took to the lovely Amazon.com and found Doc Oc. Roughly $30???! I was willing to try it for that price!

After my 4 miler last night, I made sure to read the instructions carefully (K was on hand via text should I accidentally shock myself), used an alcohol wipe to clean off both upper leg areas and gave Doc Oc a try. I followed the directions to start with lower intensity and then increase it to a comfortable level to start out on the first try. I planned to sit for around 15 minutes … and did it in 2 sessions. The instructions said 10-15 minutes at a time, 1-2 times a day. It just felt like a vibration in my muscle, my right leg even jumped a little crazy..twitchy, twitch!

To give you more specifics on Electronic Stimulation therapy for muscle recovery:

An electric muscle stimulator is a device that sends low-level electronic pulses to your muscles in order to halt atrophy or reduce spasms. TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is the most common type of e-stim used by physical therapists, particularly for back pain.

(Source)

So, does it work? I won’t know yet for sure. I took the run nice and easy and this was just the first session, but I’m sure it’ll help with recovery based on all of the lovely things I’ve heard about TENS/EStim treatment, especially for runners and recovery time. I figure it doesn’t hurt! I’ll definitely keep you posted through recovering between all of these races!

Have you tried EStim treatment or would you if you haven’t?

Don’t forget the December #HOLIDAYADAY Photo Challenge starts Friday!! T minus 2 days!

Need a Facebook event as a reminder? We all know you’re there all day checking out the ol’ newsfeed 😉

And there’s still a Happy Feet Giveaway going on!

November 29, 2012, 12:47 pm

I’m very interested to see what you think of the TENS after a while. I’ve never done it, although when I was doing PT I saw other people using it. My ortho recommended it, but the PT didn’t think I needed it. One of the hundred reasons that I am very negative about ortho’s and PT’s, haha.

November 29, 2012, 1:33 pm

Oh man! Never tried that stuff before. I think it kinda scares the bajeez outta me! Lol!! Hope it works well for u! Xoxo

November 29, 2012, 2:19 pm

Haha nothing to be scared of, it’s pretty cool!

November 29, 2012, 1:41 pm

Interesting – HOpe it keeps working for you!

November 29, 2012, 1:50 pm

I work for a Chiropractor and use it on patients daily. I own one and use it after my long runs

November 29, 2012, 2:03 pm

After my reconstructive meniscus and ACL surgery in high school, I used a similar device at my physical therapy sessions. It was so strange at first–shocking, engaging, and strengthening muscles. When I first started using it, I would jump all the time! With a few appointments under my belt, though, I got used to it, and it definitely helped build and recover my muscles.

November 29, 2012, 2:17 pm

Interesting concept! I’d be scared to shock myself 😉

November 29, 2012, 2:28 pm

Awesomeness! I’m going to look into this for sure! Yes I’ve used estim….yesterday at the doctor’s office for my knee!!!

November 29, 2012, 2:42 pm

haha so funny how we both posted almost the same thing today! I love it!

November 29, 2012, 2:55 pm

I have a mini-portable one that my chiro friend gave me. I’ve never used it. LOL! I’ll have to dust it off. 😉

November 29, 2012, 4:35 pm

I can’t wait to see what you think after you have been using it for awhile 🙂

November 29, 2012, 5:32 pm

Very interesting, let us know how it works after a few uses 🙂 Never knew they had those for at home use? Plug in or battery?

November 29, 2012, 5:48 pm

My husband used a TENS unit on his back for many years. He always said it helped.

November 29, 2012, 6:01 pm

Hey just came across your blog via the Tampa Bay Bloggers Facebook group. Very interested in learning more about the DocOc although it seems a little scary. Although anything that can reduce muscle soreness is definitely worth a look.

November 29, 2012, 6:15 pm

Using the instructions was the smart move, all good now!

November 29, 2012, 6:21 pm

This post reminds me of Buddy The Elf. “That’s shocking!!” My PT does estim for my IT band. It’s certainly a very interesting experience. 🙂

November 29, 2012, 8:02 pm

I am happy you purchased a TENS unit. They are awesome. My chiropractor gave me one after I herniated a disc in my lower back. It was a Godsend and continued to be while I was researching and experimenting with my running form. Now it is just gathering dust, but there is a certain comfort in knowing it is there. I hope it helps, Kat, and that you are feeling better soon.

November 30, 2012, 12:00 am

I have one of those!

November 30, 2012, 1:01 am

I’ve had a TENS unit for years and use it for any niggle or injury. It’s a great tool and, used right, can be very beneficial. I even used it in labor! Good luck and hope it helps.

November 30, 2012, 1:23 am

I’m scared of these things! I’m gonna have to watch you electrode yourself before I try it. <3 haha!

November 30, 2012, 3:35 am

You’ll have to let me know how that goes. When I saw the PT they stuck needles in my legs and butt and then ESed the needles.

November 30, 2012, 2:37 pm

I used one for physical therapy when I had a back injury in high school. I never thought of using one again. Keep us updated on your thoughts on it!