Supporting Small Business Saturday!

Many of the businesses and restaurants, especially, that I like to frequent are small businesses. Small businesses that are run by individuals and families are the epitome of good service because they genuinely care to do the best they can to make their customers happy. Saturday, we decided to venture out to Plant City to visit my pal Xio at Parkesdale Farms to taste some of their fruits and other homemade goodness! – since I was enjoying an actual FULL rest day, shocker, I know!

Xio was sure to have out an assortment of pickled goodness, yummy jams and preserves, along with dips and dressings! Good thing we had a small breakfast! My favorite were the dill pickled brussel sprouts….yea, I said it. They came home with me along with tons of produce, picked artichokes, and coconut butter! (Tastes like the inside of an almond joy and all natural!)

Hubs had to sit on the strawberry throne: The Game of Berries.

We even got to try the pumpkin shake, yum! I’ve already tried the strawberry one, but hubs was a virgin…and drank it up in approximately 5.3 seconds. We ran into a few Tampa Bay Lady Blogger friends; Caroline and I super-shopped for our families for Christmas!

I’ve been wanting to visit my friend Cynthia over at The Corner Store for some time now, and thought today was the perfect opportunity since we were right down the road! We met Cynthia and her husband back at the Outback Yelp event and immediately knew they were cool peeps. They moved here from San Francisco & now own The Corner Store, which is perfectly located in the heart of downtown Plant City. She’d told me that they sell independently owned merchandise and also serve breakfast and lunch – consider my interest peaked!

I really dug the atmosphere and vibe inside The Corner Store! There was a very ‘homey’ feeling from the wooden walls and labels made from natural paper. The jars of spices and seasonings were all in apothecary jars which made the store feel like an old general store which fits perfectly in the downtown area of Plant City! The area where the kitchen was happened to be separate to look like a little wooden shack, which was also super cute. I could have stayed and hung out all day ๐Ÿ˜‰

The Chicken Greek wrap I tried was fantastic! It even came with pita chips and grapefruit!

Food made with love!

We had a great day with great food and awesome people at Parkesdale and The Corner Store – y’all know we’ll be back! ๐Ÿ˜‰

How do you support small businesses?

November 25, 2012, 10:13 pm

I hope you split your meal and danced for a minute. I supported small business Saturday last year at a few places in Chattanooga, but I haven’t been supporting any businesses this year besides airlines…I need to do some etsy shopping.

November 25, 2012, 10:31 pm

Haha we got our own to have leftovers but did a little jig ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 25, 2012, 10:17 pm

I am with Meghan. I really hope you split the meal so you could dance!!! How fun! Another awesome event and I missed it. Darn! Next time I hope to you join you!!

November 25, 2012, 10:31 pm

It wasn’t just a TBLB thing either! I love visiting Xio and picking up awesome produce and food! ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 25, 2012, 10:43 pm

So sad i missed ANOTHER parksdale event, but had lunch with Mike’s parents then had to go to work. Looks awesomwe and the dancing sounds like a challenge I am down for!! your outfit is adorable by the way!

November 25, 2012, 10:50 pm

Aw that’s ok! I totally stocked up…Caroline and I both! Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 25, 2012, 11:15 pm

Your day looked so fun. The Greek wrap is making my mouth water! My favorite local shop is the running store which probably seems lame. They are very helpful with advice and I feel that they are committed to getting you the best possible gear for your age, stage of running. We have a few gourmet food shops that have great gift items too!

November 26, 2012, 12:10 am

I usually end up there too! It was fun buying non athletic things ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 25, 2012, 11:41 pm

I like to support local business where we can too… restaurants expecially, and markets, farmers, and so on. Looks like you have been having fun with it, too.

November 26, 2012, 12:02 am

That Corner Store sounds fantastic! I love finding little gems like that in cities. We try to seek them out and support them, too. It’s worth the extra few dollars! And coconut butter, yum!!

November 26, 2012, 12:11 am

Omg I can’t even describe by love of coconut butter ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 26, 2012, 12:37 am

Looks like a fun outing! I went to my local running and biking stores on Saturday and stocked up on socks, sports bras, and bike gear–woohoo!

November 26, 2012, 3:06 am

I loved their Black Friday sales, socks galore!

November 26, 2012, 12:48 am

I only go to local restaurants, no chains, there is really no need to in Charleston with a crud ton of delicious locally owned restaurants all over and I try to go to the farmers market as often as possible. Love getting my fruits and veggies there.

November 26, 2012, 3:07 am

I’m having so much fun with these fall vegetables!

November 26, 2012, 12:56 am

Awesome! I love small places like that as well, luckily for me Toronto is full of them!! The wrap looked delicious!!

November 26, 2012, 1:14 am

Oh wow, so much better than those awful big box stores and Black Friday madness! What a great way to spend the day. I hit up my local running store for Small Business Appreciation/I like a $25 refund, thanks Amex, day. It was great to be away from the malls and the craziness!