WDW Weekend: The stay

Living in Florida all of my life, I have to say that I’ve never stayed on the Disney resort!

I wanted to write a post just about our stay, because all I’ve been doing is raving about it to everyone I know…or see!

Through another blend of mine, Heather from Running with Sass, is also a travel agent for Disney and was able to help us out with a deal on a room at the Port Orleans – Riverside resort on Disney property.

When we arrived last Thursday, we check into the lobby and were given a ton of information on the events around the Disney area and also related to the race weekend itself. Everyone on the Disney staff is so friendly and helpful!

Our room was very comfy and quaint. We brought snacks and food from home and had a fridge to store the fruit and water in. There was even a partisan between the bathroom area and main bedroom so that made waking up early for my runs easy without waking up the Kraken….I mean, hubs. It was super cozy! After the expo on the first night we arrived we decided to head out for dinner and drinks over at Downtown Disney. Since the shuttle was about 5 seconds from our room, we were able to hop on the bus and head there without driving! Safety first, I always say.

Sadly, on the race course I wasn’t able to see the character I’d channeled: Piglet. I mean, I did, but only in frozen-pose form. Hubs and I fell in love with a Margarita Bar off of the water by the Cap’n Jacks where we had dinner. It was so nice to get out because we normally like to chillax at home πŸ˜‰

After dancing around by the Disney stage, we went into the World of Disney – a huge store full of ALL things Disney – to search for something Piglet-like. I didn’t have a ton of luck, though, because it was SUPER crowded. So, we just played dress up by the not-so-crowded Mickey hats and then headed to Ghiradelli.

Mickey in towel-form, our bathroom, cute character pillows, & Mickey shampoo to boot!

I saw a guy with a Half Fanatics jacket on and struck up a conversation with him about the club. He was one who told me I couldn’t PR at Disney (touche) and said he and his buddy were running Goofy (both races) that weekend. After getting some HF knowledge, hubs and I shared a Ghiradelli cone – YUM. Carb loading at its finest.
Saturday, after the race, we made our first trip off the resort. Shocker! We were staying in the same resort as a few other running group buds and carpooled over to Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse in Orlando for a pre-marathon celebration dinner a.k.a. pasta carb-load! Yes, I just ran the half, but felt the need to carb-load in honor of my buds running the full!
Verdict: delish! Great service too! Most of the group headed back to their respective places of slumber to get shuteye before their big day, but we were feelin’ froggy! Hubs and I went with Sunita and her hubby Michael back over to Downtown Disney. This time, though, we took the Riverside Water Shuttle! Such a cool idea!

Don’t worry, we made sure to introduce them to our oh-so-favorite Margarita bar πŸ˜‰

I can’t wait to stay at DisneyLAND this summer!!

You can take a peek at my other WDW Weekend posts here!

Do you use margaritas as vacation-fuel? What’s your favorite part of Downtown Disney/the Disney Resort?

January 17, 2013, 12:06 pm

wait.
    this summer??

when?!
    Im coming πŸ™‚

January 17, 2013, 12:22 pm

This was our first time at Downtown Disney and we enjoyed dinner at House of Blues. We also stayed at POR, but just one night before checking into the Polynesian so we missed you guys. I loved the trail for running (did a post car ride shake out. Did you run on property?

January 17, 2013, 1:31 pm

You have to stop by the margarita bar next time! πŸ˜‰ I did run on those same paths – too much traffic on the shuttle roads!

January 17, 2013, 1:12 pm

Wow! What a busy weekend! And we love Disney resorts. My favorite is the Animal Kingdom Lodge!

January 17, 2013, 1:32 pm

I’ve heard that one is awesome and want to stay there!

January 17, 2013, 1:56 pm

Ghiradelli cone? Sign me up! πŸ˜‰

January 17, 2013, 3:45 pm

I’ve said this a million times before but…I WANT TO GO TO DISNEY….again πŸ™‚

January 17, 2013, 4:31 pm

I am SO GLAD you had a good time and loved the resort! Thanks so much for booking through me I appreciate you!

January 17, 2013, 4:57 pm

SO jealous – looks like an amazing place to stay/race!!!

January 17, 2013, 5:54 pm

Looks like so much fun!

January 17, 2013, 6:03 pm

I am determined to have a racevaction with you haha, margaritas, delmonicos, we would have so much fun πŸ˜‰

January 17, 2013, 6:08 pm

Wow! What an awesome trip! I love getting down to Downtown Disney, but have never been able to stay there. Hmmm. … Vacation idea. We may leave our daughter with Grandma though.

January 18, 2013, 12:39 am

It’s great because downtown Disney is open to all!

January 17, 2013, 7:52 pm

It looks as though you both had a great time. Was it magical? Disney World is always magical for me. We head over to Downtown Disney just for the day sometimes. Ghirdelli, the restaurants oh and the Irish Pub is to die for. Yes, of course the margarita bar is a definitely a stop as well as the World of Disney, but if you are not careful you can get lost in there.

January 17, 2013, 9:43 pm

We stayed at Port Orleans last time, but the other one. We liked it a lot. We stayed at Coronado Springs this time. It was bigger and a little noisier. Tim loves Disney so much, though, and he wanted to stay somewhere different. Where are you staying for Princess? I loved DTD. They opened more restaurants since the W&D 2011 when I was there last. We ate at a Latin Fusion place and Portobello. So much fun!

January 18, 2013, 12:14 am

So jealous in happy kind of way for you. Did you reg. for Dumbo Double?

January 18, 2013, 12:24 am

Sounds so amazing. I had a ton of fun there last year.
    And I have a tequila version so I will watch you sip after MCM while I drink my wine/beer.

January 19, 2013, 1:30 am

Margaritas are necessary on a vacation. I actually want a margarita now…sounds so good! I went to Disney World a long time ago, but really want to go back and experience it as an adult. I don’t even remember where I stayed before, but I think it was off the resort, but still really close to everything. I am sure a lot has changed since my last visit!