Weekly Workouts Roundup: Tips for trying out Crossfit

Happy Sunday!
With a week of fun runs, crossfit, and the reintroduction of tempo runs, my week in workouts has been a triumphant one for sure!

Feel free to join Meghan and I each week to review your week of workouts, any day – doesn’t have to be Sunday 😉

Week of 2/11/13

Fun runs have been a great way to add in a little more cardio without added pressure!

The question of the week is: So, how has Crossfit been going Kat?

I’d been going to Crossfit428 now for 5 weeks – 9 sessions (averaging twice a week between my runs as crosstraining.)

WODs
working

everything!

Verdict: Yeah, I dig it!

I have to admit I was a bit terrified to try crossfit because of past experiences where I was thrown into workouts I didn’t feel ready for. Over the course of the 5 weeks I went to 428, I learned a ton and saw progress in a short period of time. I am by no means ‘great’ at Crossfit just yet but I’ve taken away a lot that I didn’t know before! My strength improved and I was able to see form improvements as well (i.e. pushups and burpess galore.) Did I see a difference with my body? Yes! I began to gain muscle and then as I increased my mileage with running again, I’m back down to my ‘regular’ weight but feel much more toned! When I run, I feel more power in my upper body and feel that the Crossfit Endurance workouts I’ve done has helped me even more with my breathing!

What now?

Taking advise from many avenues, I’ve decided to check out another box here shortly (after the Princess Half) that we’ve found another deal on ($45 for 8 classes + on ramp.) Not only to try out another Crossfit box and see my options before I start to drop $80 a month on another gym, but also so that I have a chance to do it with hubs who’s been coming back into the scene and also wants to give Crossfit a shot with me. The on ramp part of the deal we’ve found will allow him to learn some of the moves I’ve already learned and also allow me to train in those area again so that I get them down even better.

My tips for trying out Crossfit for the first time?
* take it easy – start slow and even if you’ve lifted before, let the trainers help you work
with piping or a barbell without weight before you go out boxing like a champ

* Arrive with enough time to warmup – self explanatory

* Listen! You’ll get instruction from the trainers on movements you probably haven’t
tried before, so listen up and learn proper form! .. injuries suck

* Running shoes don’t always mean “workout shoes” – My PC2s didn’t feel so great when
I did squats or lifting (stability in soles didn’t help me be flat on the ground), so I ended up getting some lighter and flatter shoes (Brooks Green Silence & Pure Drifts) for lifting and crossfit workouts

* Peep the Workout of the Day (WOD) the night before – this helped me plan on bringing running shoes or not depending of there were drills involved or if it was just lifting, etc.

* Be ready for a feeling of community! I was apprehensive day one. Afraid to walk into
the box (aka crossfit gym) and little did I know what a little community these gyms are!
Learn people’s names so you can give each other words of encouragement throughout the WOD.
When you’re done with your WOD, cheer on the rest of those finishing up.

* Use the chalk – to write down your sets and keep track – you’ll be too busy working out to try to use your head as an abacus 😉

Are you in the market to try Crossfit?
Any things that still sketch you out?

And don’t forget starting MARCH 4!
As I mentioned last Sunday, the Spring Best Bootie Buster Challenge (SBBC) starts!
Link-up your weekly workouts with these Sunday/weekly posts! These posts will be a great place to tally your points and be accountable for a successful challenge!

Spring Challenge

(FULL details on Run to the Finish’s challenge here)!

February 17, 2013, 3:46 pm

I haven’t tried CrossFit and I would love to! Gyms just aren’t in the budget at the moment. Thanks for the tips!

February 17, 2013, 4:08 pm

I feel ya, that’s why groupon has been my best friend!

February 17, 2013, 3:52 pm

WOW…you had an awesome week. Glad you are enjoying CrossFit, not sure I have the guts to try that!

February 17, 2013, 4:09 pm

Thanks ladies hope to see you next weekend!

February 17, 2013, 4:06 pm

I’d love to try CrossFit. I’ll have to watch for a coupon…I know I’ve seen deals online. Love the tips!

February 17, 2013, 4:09 pm

Yes there’s a few out there all of the time!

February 17, 2013, 4:47 pm

I tried CrossFit with a groupon too, but It was so expensive once the groupon expired, I’d like to give it another shot as well. Nice tips! Thanks!

February 18, 2013, 2:32 am

Np! Yea I hope I can make it work per session!

February 17, 2013, 5:27 pm

I still haven’t tried CrossFit. The one here is all the way across town and I don’t think I can fit it in. My schedule is crazy hectic these days.

February 17, 2013, 7:24 pm

Understandable! I think when I marathon train I’ll be doing gym WODS myself with what I learned at the gym 😉

February 17, 2013, 7:27 pm

Kickin’ butt and taking names–you go, girl! 🙂

February 17, 2013, 7:46 pm

Awesome week! I love your Crossfit tips… I wouldn’t have thought about the change of shoes. Still hoping to try it at some point!

February 17, 2013, 10:28 pm

Thanks Laura, you’d kill the sprint parts 😉

February 17, 2013, 11:28 pm

For some reason I thought you had been going to crossfit longer. You just seemed like such a crossfit professional that I had just assumed you had been going for months.

Great tips for anyone who is thinking about checking out a box. I was absolutely terrified to go for the first time. I don’t even know why. Now I feel like a dork for being so scared. 🙂

February 18, 2013, 12:52 am

I would love to try Crossfit again sometime. It seems like such a fun challenge.

February 18, 2013, 1:16 am

Awesome job on your workouts Kat!! You’re killing it!! So motivational for me 🙂

February 18, 2013, 1:49 am

Great workouts, and good on you for squeezing the crossfit in there as well. I’ve stayed away from crossfit just because it seems like the current fad, soon to be replaced by booty movers or whatever comes next, but only because of the price tag! It seems to have incredible results for people, and from what I can tell it’s an incredible workout.

February 18, 2013, 2:37 am

I know that even if I stop going I’ve learned enough with lifting form to take that back to my own workouts 🙂

February 18, 2013, 3:49 pm

Nice job on the workouts last week. All of the mileage + the CrossFit is fantastic. You’re a machine. I did two levels of JM yesterday and am feeling it today. I need to keep incorporating non-running into my routine. I can feel a difference.

February 18, 2013, 4:03 pm

That’s really awesome about your Crossfit experience. So glad that you are liking it and seeing results too! I would love to try it but honestly, I think the expensive is part of what’s holding me back . I would love to find a groupon!!

February 18, 2013, 6:09 pm

Great article Kat! My wife and I are starting Insanity tonight (wish us luck!)I hope to transition into Crossfit once this is done.

February 18, 2013, 6:32 pm

So glad that you loved Crossfit! It’s such a great experience!!!
    Yours is only $80 a month?! Lucky! 🙂

February 18, 2013, 6:36 pm

As someone who started CrossFit in September, I agree with this advice! Giving yourself enough time to stretch is vital- at LEAST 10 minutes. Also, scaling WODs so that you are learning the right way to do the movements is more important than trying to lift heavy at first. Its hard not to compare yourself to other people in the class, but the beauty of CrossFit is that everyone can do it at their own level.

February 18, 2013, 9:56 pm

I’ve been dying to try Crossfit for some time now, but just can’t afford it right now 🙁

February 19, 2013, 2:37 am

Definitely intrigued by CrossFit. I may need to find a deal near home and give it a shot.

February 19, 2013, 4:09 pm

I am for sure going to try another Crossfit box! I’d like for Mike to be able to go with me, so I want to wait another month or so before signing up for another deal. Hopefully BNI still has one out 😉 I’m especially looking for an onramp class. Not having one seemed to have not worked well for me.

February 21, 2013, 10:30 pm

I LOVE CROSSFIT! and I’m glad you tried it!

February 26, 2013, 12:50 am

These are great tips! As I mentioned before i need to cash in my groupon for a month’s worth of cross fit classes. I have not done it yet because I’ve been intimidated. However you helped me less so with these tips. I especially liked the one about the shoes. I probably would have worn my running sneaks. This was a really good post.