CPR/AED Class: getting my learn on

As part of my CPT certification, I was to take a CPR/AED course and receive my certification prior to my actual CPT test date. Keeping with my OCD and early-bird nature, I scheduled to take the CPR class early and went this past Sunday afternoon!

I read beforehand in the email confirmation that I’d be doing an online course (my fave) and then hands-on training before being certified and receiving my certificate.

The online course with the American Red Cross was easy-to-follow, and I was able to screen shot my certificate of completion to be able to take the in-class skills assessment at the Tampa branch. The location was a little sketchy so hubs made sure I let him know my entering and exiting times via text πŸ˜‰

I’ve taken a CPR class before, but was pretty eager to re-take the class because I’d learned recently of a few emergencies happen where if someone had known CPR it could have saved a life – was I ready for that responsibility? Yes!

We first did the CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) run-down on our lovely dummies (I named mine Fred.) The instructor was very matter-of-fact, which caused me to giggle even more inappropriately.

The AED (Automated External Defibrillator) piece was next. This seemed pretty easy, besides the procedure for pad placement, as the machine gives instructions itself.

Since we had extra time, the instructor reviewed some First Aid with us including Conscious Choking procedures….I just caution anyone to choke around me as it’ll be mighty challenging for this 5′ nothing gal to handle stomach blows. Just sayin’. In an emergency, I will take on the challenge!

I am registered in CPR/AED, but not as an instructor. Still, I just wanted to share some simple instructions for any emergency per the Red Cross that anyone can follow:

Check – check the scene – is it safe, etc.

Call – Have someone call 911 or call yourself if you are along

Care – Care for the person needing help within the bounds of your training.

If you are not trained in CPR or AED or First Aid, try to at least ensure the
person’s safety and await for medical personel to arrive.
Do I feel skilled enough to use what I learned in a REAL emergency?
Of course there’s always fear for messing up or doing things just right, but the answer in a nutshell is – YES!
I wouldn’t want something to happen around me and feel helpless, and with my new numchuck skills I wouldn’t be!
Studying for my CPT has also gotten this girl eating even cleaner! Along with successfully finishing Sugar Rehab, I’ve been avoiding sweets and white starches (besides rice) in an attempt to clean my diet. Hubs has even lost 3 lbs and is loving quinoa!

Quinoa with rotisserie chicken, roasted baby kale and salsa!

Would you or are you skilled in CPR/AED?
Have you ever been in a real-life medical emergency where this would come in handy?

March 8, 2013, 12:26 pm

I will TRY not to make you test your skills when we meet; I know I’m pretty heart stopping sometimes. πŸ˜‰ Seriously though, I am CPR/AED certified and I actually had to use it a couple months ago when a client had a medical emergency in my office. Talk about scary!

March 8, 2013, 12:50 pm

See I never want to say I couldn’t help! Haha, oh how the jokes will roll when we meet!

March 8, 2013, 12:27 pm

I used to be skilled in CPR. It’s def been a while! Never had to use it…thank goodness.

Quinoa meal looks YUM!! Have a great weekend

March 8, 2013, 12:55 pm

I had a CPR certification years ago, but since like you, I might consider CPT someday, I guess getting certified again will be a good plan!

March 8, 2013, 1:05 pm

Good for you girl! Yes I am CPR/AED certified…you must be as a teacher. Fortunately I’ve never had to use it but feel confident I could do it if I needed to. Hopefully that situation will never occur!

March 8, 2013, 1:21 pm

Quinoa for the win! I cannot get enough of it lately. Happy Friday! πŸ™‚

March 8, 2013, 2:17 pm

Lol forget CPR, lets eat! πŸ˜‰ you too Carrie!

March 8, 2013, 1:33 pm

Yep, I had to be certified in both as the director of a child care nonprofit, and now updated it to teach spin. I’m glad it’s yearly, seems like something is always changing. Congrats!

March 8, 2013, 1:39 pm

I used to be certified in both at my old job. I need to re-certify as soon as possible, though. Congrats!!

March 8, 2013, 1:40 pm

I’ve never had a real life emergency occur around me. But when I worked, I did take CPR classes.

March 8, 2013, 2:00 pm

I am not CPR certified and thankfully have never been in a real life emergency before. Keeping my fingers crossed that I am never put in that situation!

March 8, 2013, 2:43 pm

I’m not CPR certified, and I’ve luckily never had a situation where I needed to be. At some point it may arise, and most chances it will be ME the one who needs the hiemlich. I’m calling you! That is great about the clean diet! It’s great when your s.o. is interested in eating well, too – makes it that much easier to not binge πŸ˜‰

March 8, 2013, 2:53 pm

I volunteer with the Girls On The Run program in my area and we all had to get CPR certified. I think it’s an important skill to know and keep up to date on. ESPECIALLY when I have kids one day.

March 8, 2013, 3:41 pm

Exactl, it’ll always come in handy! Thanks for stopping by

March 8, 2013, 2:59 pm

Good for you!!! Happy to see how great you are doing and moving forward with this venture!

p.s. Congrats to the hubs!

March 8, 2013, 3:07 pm

I have to get my CPR/AED certification, but I’m waiting for it to come to my university so I can get a discount. πŸ˜‰ I think it’s incredibly important to know, and the more people that get certified, the better!

March 8, 2013, 3:42 pm

I don’t blame you, I tried to find a deal but couldn’t lol

March 8, 2013, 4:25 pm

That looks awesome. I really need to try quinoa, its a sin that I’ve seen so many recipes online that look delicious and I have yet to try any of them. Maybe this weekend. Congrats on working toward getting certified.

March 8, 2013, 6:40 pm

it’s so easy to make and resembles rice! .. makes a mess like rice too lol! Thanks!

March 8, 2013, 5:26 pm

Your dinner looks delicious. I can’t wait to get back home to cook, something I rarely say these days but I have seen so many good meals to try via all the healthy bloggers!

March 8, 2013, 6:41 pm

Thanks ladies! I usually just make separate ingredients (quinoa, tons of veggies, meats) and then throw them together – I stink at imprompty recipe-recipes πŸ˜‰

March 8, 2013, 6:35 pm

I haven’t practiced CPR since high school. I remember the first time we got to practice on the dummies in forth grade and then every few years after that they taught us CPR in class and how to respond if some one is choking. Thankfully, I have not been in a situation when I needed to know how to respond nor would I want to feel so helpless either like you mentioned. I remember my friend telling me a story about a lady who collapsed next to her at WalMart. My friend panicked. She had no training and no idea what to do so she just stood over the woman and yelled for help. I couldn’t even imagine being in that situation.

March 8, 2013, 6:41 pm

I definitely will feel much more able to help!

March 8, 2013, 6:57 pm

I did that not too long ago for my fitness trainer certification. Definitely a good skill to have. The online hybrid class is the way to go.

March 8, 2013, 9:58 pm

I didn’t know you train! I thought you were working with a trainER! awesome! WHo’d you use to cert?

March 8, 2013, 7:08 pm

I did my CPR certification with the red cross as well and they did agreat job. But after 1,5 years, I’m ready for a refresher! In order to feel comfortable, I think I need to do this more often. It is so easy to forget!

March 8, 2013, 7:13 pm

I have been certified multiple times..I would be scared like crazy if I actually had to do, but I know I can at least!!

March 8, 2013, 10:00 pm

Yes, we’d rather be kind of off-skilled than helpless!

March 8, 2013, 10:05 pm

Good for you! I first got my certification back in high school/college but haven’t renewed it in ages. Terrible, I know. We did do baby CPR and first aid before my oldest son was born but again, I should take a refresher course. It’s really something everyone should know. I too am so excited to see you move forward with all of this!

March 9, 2013, 12:06 am

You are such the inspiration.
    You’re like WonderWoman right now –
    no sugar
    cleaner eating
    going for your CPT exam
    and now you could save my life too…
    shut the front door!

March 9, 2013, 2:53 am

Aw you’re too sweet Abs! Thanks! That means the world πŸ˜‰

March 10, 2013, 12:05 am

Well you are pretty AWESOME!

March 9, 2013, 12:32 am

Yes, I’m certified and yes, I’ve had to use it. Scary, heart pumping, but training kicked in and I saved someone’s life. Have also saved someone doing the Heimlich.

March 9, 2013, 1:31 am

Certified in basic and advanced life support because of my job. I’ve had to use it a few times. It’s amazing how you go into automatic pilot and go through the steps. It’s a good thing for anyone to have!

March 9, 2013, 5:06 am

I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still
    exists.

my website :: huggies rewards

March 9, 2013, 10:13 am

Howdy terrific website! Does running a blog like this require a lot of work?
    I’ve no understanding of programming but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any suggestions or techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject but I simply wanted to ask. Thank you!

Here is my blog post … dark spot corrector garnier

March 10, 2013, 12:00 pm

Hey! Ѕomеone іn my Faсеbook group shared this site wіth us so I came to take а
    loоk. ӏ’m definitely loving the information. I’m book-marking
    and ωill be tωеeting this to my followеrѕ!
    Εxсеptionаl blοg anԁ amazing style
    аnԁ deѕіgn.

Ηеre is mу blоg pοst: Top Electronic Cigarettes
    my webpagehttp://www.its.veryserious.org/940/how-much-is-the-cheapest-electronic-cigarette