I’m winey

Saturday night we were invited out to a local winery, well the only one of in the Tampa area, Keel & Curley for a wine tour and tasting – sign us up! We were excited to learn about the blueberry farms and how K & C make their famous fruit and fusion wines and got to enjoy a tasting afterwards!
Disclosure: I was invited to a complimentary tour and tasting at Keel & Curley Winery in exchange for helping to promote the Tampa Bay Blueberry Festival. All opinions are my own.

Sam, our guide, in front of the blueberry plants
We hopped on our tour bus and were taken through the K & C property. It began as just a blueberry farm, where [to this day] they are hand-picked since they bruise so easily. We learned that it was the only estate winery in Hillsborough county – the owner lives on property & it’s family owned & operated – and that they specialize in fruit wines and fruit-fusion wines (i.e. Strawberry Reisling.) The blueberry wines come in Dry, semi-sweet, and sweet – the dry having no added sugar, the semi-sweet having 3% added [cane] sugar, and the sweet having 6% added sugar. Not too bad!
Nothing fancier than pretty packaging!
We got to go into the assembly area to learn about the wine-making process: fermentation, clarification, filtering, & bottling. Wine can be on the shelf as quick as 6 weeks! (1 week to ferment, 4 weeks to clarify, then on the shelf by week 6!) AND I learned that K & C is partnering with Cigar City Brewery [of Ybor City, Tampa] to begin brewing beer as Two Henrys Brewing Company! Horray Beer!
Hubs was muy excited
Pour me, please!
We enjoyed our tour and then walked around the gift shop and area where you ca do the taste testing. We had a private area set up and were able to try a ton of the wines that K & C sells! My favorite? The Wile Berry Pinot Noir and the Semi-sweet Blueberry!
Cheers!
The crazy ladies of the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers, a couple of glasses into the tasting – yea, we’re fun in a hand basket!
Keel & Curley is celebrating their Blueberry Festival the weekend of April 27 (missing it because I’ll be in Myrtle Beach for the Diva’s half – shucks but not shucks) where you can pick blueberries and sample some local food and music too!
I’ve been back at it. Running that is. Nice and Easy – no reprimanding for me this week!
I went out for another easy run yesterday of 3 miles and… I have been doing a pretty stellar job working off my weekend libations – beer, what beer?! Slow and steady….repeat….slow and steady 😉 Crazy how many UP steps I can get from having an “update my iPod” dance party in the safe confines of my own home!
Have you tried blueberry wine?
What’s your favorite treat/libation?
My newest GIVEAWAY ends on Friday, by the way!

April 10, 2013, 11:45 am

oooh see?
    I dont drink much but BLUEBERRY?
    Id be in.

April 10, 2013, 12:07 pm

Looks like fun! I have never tried blueberry!

April 10, 2013, 12:11 pm

Fun evening! Great to see you again 🙂

April 10, 2013, 12:29 pm

First – you and the hubs are TOO cute in that tour bus pic! Sounds like fun! I LOVE wine and going to local places!! I’ve never had blueberry — might have to get you to send some 😉

April 10, 2013, 1:20 pm

I’ve never had blueberry wine but since I love wine I think I might like it!
    Looks like a fun day at the winery!

April 10, 2013, 1:20 pm

You know that I LOVE wine! Looks like a fun trip!

April 10, 2013, 1:22 pm

That sounds like such a fun outing to do with your hubby! I’ve never been to a wine tasting but would love to. And blueberry sounds amazing!!!

April 10, 2013, 1:30 pm

Yum, wine! It was so great meeting you!

April 10, 2013, 1:46 pm

I don’t drink but I do love me a good cupcake! Do you think they have cupcake tours and tastings? 🙂

April 10, 2013, 1:54 pm

I’ve been to a winery once and had an absolute blast. There is so much to learn!!

April 10, 2013, 2:13 pm

I gotta get there sometime!! I was in need of some serious wine this week lol 🙂

April 10, 2013, 2:51 pm

Looks like a great time! I was bummed I couldn’t go, we had a wedding in South Florida, last weekend. I may have to visit during the blueberry festival 🙂

April 10, 2013, 2:58 pm

We love blueberries…but have never tasted blueberry wine. It looks like you had a wonderful time….but you and your hubs always enjoy an outing!

April 10, 2013, 3:13 pm

I love wine. I love blueberries. My jury is out, though, on combining them!!

April 10, 2013, 4:01 pm

Love Blueberry and Cherry wine too! We have a major wine area in Northern Mi near Traverse City that produces some incredible wines!
    Lucky you to get a tour! Looked like a ton of fun 😉

April 10, 2013, 4:50 pm

Blueberry wine sounds awesome!!

April 10, 2013, 5:43 pm

I’m not much of a fan of fruit wine, but the most important thing is what tastes good to you. For me, I tend to like traditional style wine, craft beer, and local liquors. 🙂

April 10, 2013, 6:07 pm

I’ve never had blueberry wine, but it sounds awesome! I have never been to the K &C winery because I had no idea that there was one in Tampa, but I’ll have to check it out!

April 10, 2013, 6:29 pm

Sounds like fun. I have never done a tour of a winery or vineyard, or a wine tasting before but I really want to. I have tried blueberry wine before actually and although I liked it, it was pretty sweet so I don’t think I could have more than a glass or two.

April 10, 2013, 7:36 pm

I took this same tour a while back. It was a wonderful experience. I am one for the dry Blueberry wine, and I agree with you on the Pinot. It was awesome. It looks like you, Gary and the ladies had a great time.

April 10, 2013, 8:00 pm

I’ve been wanting to go to a wine tasting so badly! It looks like you all had so much fun! And- I want to try blueberry wine! Sounds great.

April 10, 2013, 8:06 pm

I wish I could’ve come! I need to figure out a way to shrink the kids so I can put them in my pocket. I have a bottle of the Wild Berry Pinot Noir that I have not tried yet.

April 10, 2013, 10:53 pm

James and I and the trio went blueberry picking here last season. We picked beautiful berries! We also had some of the wine, and he enjoyed it. I am not much of a wine drinker 😉

There is an orange winery up here in Land O’ Lakes that we went to before we had kids, and they had an amazing Key Lime Wine 🙂

April 10, 2013, 11:33 pm

Spit…don’t swallow. #thatswhatshesaid Sorry, I had to do it. 😉 I haven’t tried blueberry wine but it sounds amazing! I’m a dessert wine type person, hubby is a straight up red wine drinker.

April 11, 2013, 2:16 am

I saw your pictures all over IG and was like- Darn those TB Bloggers are at it again. Wine this time? I was JEALOUS and praying the helicopter would bring me down. I didn’t know it was blueberry wine, I have never even heard of that. How cool and fun!

April 11, 2013, 2:38 am

This looks delicious!! And delightful!! How fun!

April 11, 2013, 11:52 am

So how excited am I that you wrote about this. I saw a living social for the blueberry wine festival and I was debating if I should get myself and Scott dome tickets. after this blog I’m so there yummmm wine! Shhhh don’t tell him this calls for a suprise date moment 🙂