My #BestRun!

Teaming up with my Fitfluential peeps, i.e. Pavement Runner and Miss Zippy, once again, I’m doing a post about my most recent #BestRun!

With all of the talk I’ve done about being ready for a break and these 6 half marathons in 6 months kicking my butt (been training since last August – MUCHO tired!) A good run has been hard to fathom. I’ve remained positive, yes, and made sure to not force anything unnatural, but was always so glad to be done when I WAS done!

My #BestRun was the run I did when I got back from Austin, after the Zooma Half Marathon

I’d taken off 4 days from running after the race, because those hills really did a number on my right IT and both sets of glutes – lovely. Instead, I walked and stretched and worked on upper body strength. Finally, after coming back home to Florida and feeling like I was ready to try, I ventured out for an afternoon 4 mile run. I decided to take it easy and that’s exactly what I did! I maintained a consistent pace of around 9:44, running in an area close to my work. I changed the route up a bit to check out some property in an area I hadn’t been in before (don’t worry, it was heavily populated) and got to see a couple of sandhill cranes, which always tend to scare me at first. By the time I was coming in for 4 miles I decided to finish up with 5. My paces were even and I didn’t feel any pain!

This story, now, is two-fold.

Unfortunately I didn’t learn my lesson after this run and went out for an 8 mile long run that Saturday that put be back on the ‘not allowed to run for a few days’ list – OOPS. I wasn’t going fast, but after seeing how I felt going out for an attempted recovery run the next day, I would have guessed that 8 miles would have been a bit too much at the time. I’d also done a ton of kickboxing and should have not done too much with my lower body. {We all know I learn the hard way} So, I took off just about a week between last Tuesday and Sunday (strength training – light lower body – upper body and crosstraining with rowing, elliptical and walking) and feel SO MUCH BETTER! Many running friends have reprimanded me, rightfully so, making me repeat: “Never underestimate the power of recovery!” – with that and foam rolling my butt glutes to help out the IT – feels divine!

I got back to running with an easy run of 3 miles yesterday and felt SO much better than a week ago. My right knee didnt feel like it was going to buckle and I felt stronger….slower…but stronger. Success? Only if I continue to stop being bullheaded listen. Wink. This run yesterday was not my #bestrun, but it was my #betterrun.

What’s been your #BestRun recently?

April 8, 2013, 11:45 am

i LOVE a good run. Sorry about your IT band-glad it’s healing up though! Have a great week Kat!

April 8, 2013, 11:49 am

MAN
    your poor IT
    my poor IT
    I dont even run! 🙂

April 8, 2013, 12:02 pm

Glad ur feeling better!! Rest is so important… i think we all forget that most off the time lol.. im just as guilty.. 🙂

April 8, 2013, 12:15 pm

A good run can make any day better.

Yesterday was my best run. I was able to run through DC and I got a new PR. What’s better than that!?

April 8, 2013, 12:15 pm

So glad you are on the mend!! A great run after a few days off always make me relapse into my super hero syndrome and I tend to push a little too hard too. At least you learned from it!!

April 8, 2013, 12:27 pm

My best run was a few weeks ago when I surprised myself at the Quintiles Half Marathon…..but I certainly understand the tough runs, in fact our post for tomorrow is about crummy runs! Good luck with your IT band and keep up the resistance to run frequently. Your body will love you for it!

April 8, 2013, 12:35 pm

Hope your IT Band is healing up nicely girl! I’ve got to rest and recover this week..my body is screaming for it!

April 8, 2013, 12:44 pm

Very happy to hear the rest did you good! Your #bestrun sounded like a great one..sometimes it’s the ones we don’t expect that make us happiest.

Thanks for linking up!

April 8, 2013, 3:10 pm

NP Amanda! I did enjoy the sleeping..the rest..and it’s helped! It ended up, too, being a vastus lateralis strain too that my LMT worked out – all from overuse – a ‘break’ this summer will be much needed 😉

April 8, 2013, 12:59 pm

LOVE THIS! #BestRun can really turn everything around!

April 8, 2013, 1:28 pm

You are not hard headed. You are just driven and it’s inspirational. Personally if I had a tough run I’d probably fall off the training boat but you keep pushing even when things are difficult. That’s awesome. Keep up the good work.

April 8, 2013, 1:30 pm

Glad you got some rest in! Hope the IT continues to behave!

April 8, 2013, 1:37 pm

As hard as it is, you did the right thing! I’m glad your first run back after Austin was good… hope you feel good as you ease back in!

April 8, 2013, 2:15 pm

I do hope your IT heals up soon! Sending healing vibes your way!

April 8, 2013, 3:33 pm

Great Job getting back at it. So excited you are feeling better.

April 8, 2013, 3:33 pm

My best run was the Sarasota Half Marathon. I felt SO strong during that race and felt even stronger after I PR’d. I was totally in my own little zone, not paying attention to people passing me, just worried about myself. I was pretty consistent with my pace throughout and there was even a little singing and “dance running” at mile 8 when I realized I had a chance to PR. It will always be a great memory for me. 🙂

April 8, 2013, 3:41 pm

I’m glad you got enjoy your bestrun! It’s challenging to stay training at a high level for a long time. Your IT problems are probably your body saying “rest me!” Take care of yourself!

April 8, 2013, 3:50 pm

Rest is importnat! It is good to always schedule some time to relax. I’ve been having back issues so I haven’t been able to run lately, but I have been getting frequent back massages to relax! Nothing like treating yourself when you’re feeling a bit down, right? 😉

April 8, 2013, 4:06 pm

Oddly enough I had a really good 8.5 mile negative split run on the treadmill yesterday. I didn’t want to do it but felt much better during and then after!
    Get the rest and foam rolling you need and take it easy.

April 8, 2013, 4:12 pm

I swear we always have to learn the hard way. But I know it’s because we expect so much out of ourselves and push the limits – sometimes a wee too far! 🙂 I’m glad your feeling better and getting back to it. I totally feel you on the break thing… I didn’t run at all last week and ran just 3 miles on Sunday. I am glad that I only have two runs (Corp 5k, IronGirl half) cause I potentially may be spending the rest of April/May in a boot(but let’s hope not)! :/

April 8, 2013, 5:58 pm

I did 10 miles yesterday, and it was pretty great! My #bestrun, though, is probably the one I did a couple weeks ago – the first run after the weather changed. I was able to get back on my old route. The air had a tinge of warm. It was *awesome*.

I’m also bullheaded about trying to recover ;).

April 8, 2013, 6:04 pm

Hope everything heals soon! It’s been awhile since I have had a great run, I need to get back out there on a frequent basis.

April 8, 2013, 8:16 pm

It’s so hard to reign yourself back after a great run post injury. But you need to or you’ll be sidelined for a lot longer than a few days. Glad the IT band is behaving!

April 8, 2013, 9:19 pm

ma’am, yes ma’am 😉 It was also my vastus lateralis…quad strain…so my LMT worked it out this morning – ouch! but I’m all tuned up now 😉

April 8, 2013, 8:27 pm

Glad you had a great run! Just keep listening to your body and your coach. You know all of this. Running has ebbs and flows. Just like life. (Call me Tiny Buddha.)

My best run so far was Saturday. 10 miles with bridges and I felt good the whole way. #HappyPace

April 8, 2013, 11:18 pm

There’s no such thing as a bad run, just better runs! LOVE IT

April 8, 2013, 11:55 pm

Looooooooove this post! I think as bloggers we have a tendency to highlight our terrible runs so it’s refreshing to read about fantastic ones. My best run really wasn’t recently; it was 7 weeks ago when I PR’d in my 1/2. I felt like I could have ran forever and I didn’t want to stop. I loved it!

April 9, 2013, 11:50 am

maybe your next best run will be in AUSTIN!! hehe

April 9, 2013, 12:07 pm

Hmmm….my best run? I haven’t been running much lately, so I need to get my butt outside now that the weather it so much warmer! Thanks for sharing your experiences…recovery is so important! xo Tara