Diva’s Half Weekend: Girl time in Myrtle Beach!

Kris and I had been looking forward to getting away for a girls’ runcation ever since we signed up for the Divas half! I’d never been to Myrtle Beach before so was excited to see another beach in an area I haven’t been to before! We got in early on Friday morning and were able to get settled in and venture outside to the beach that was feet away from our hotel!

View from our room (super sunny until the day we left)

Leaving our mark!

We stayed at the Beachcove resort & were about .60 miles from the nearest shopping area and restaurant hub, so walking wasn’t that huge of a deal – until it started raining at the end of our trip. I would, for those thinking to venture to Myrtle Beach, would recommend a rental car. We paid for a taxi off and on and it started to add up especially going to the expo location ($25 roundtrip to go 3 miles away for a quick packet pickup.) We ended up luckily meeting some lovely tweeps who were able to take us to the race start! (More on that in a sec.)

Our favorite restaurant find? Flying Fish Market & Restaurant!

Despite the costly cab ride, we enjoyed our time at the Divas expo.

At the expo

Saturday we got up for a shakeout run and then walk back from the House of Blues for breakfast. We also decided to test out how cold the ocean water was. Aaaand it was cold! Fitting for a post-race ‘ice bath!’

Jes, my friend from RUnladylike.com organized a meetup for a few of us ladies who were planning to run the Divas race and were in town for the weekend. I got to meet Christina, Melanie, and Monica (finally! – we’d been friends on Twitter for a while) & their friend Francesca. We had an awesome meal and all caught up and got to know each other, making sure to make time for a photo opp in the end 😉

Most of us ventured back to relax at the hotel and the beach before turning in early the night before our big race.

Kris and I headed down the street to a restaurant that fit our pre-race dinner needs and included rice in the menu! We had dinner at Fire Island Grill, yum!

Overall, we enjoyed the stay in MB. It was even nice to enjoy piece and quiet instead of being on the go all of the time.

We did have some issues with the host hotel not helping with race day transportation that I’ll be informing the race directors about – no need to babble here 😉

Girls weekends away are the best aren’t they?!
Do you always get a rental car when you travel?

May 2, 2013, 11:46 am

Great recap of your fun weekend. I avoid a rental car in new places if possible!

May 2, 2013, 11:46 am

The view from your hotel is gorgeous! Sounds like you had a great time!

May 2, 2013, 11:55 am

Sounds like an awesome girls race-cation! I’m so jealous of the beachy weather!

May 2, 2013, 12:01 pm

I’ve been curious about the Diva races…looking forward to your recap!

We usually drive to wherever we fly to, or we have friends/family there. We did get a rental car in Hawaii and it was a great decision…I think it depends on where you are and want you want/have to do 🙂

May 2, 2013, 12:25 pm

Ah, so you got in some open-water swimming, did you? 😉 I’ve been to Myrtle Beach twice on extended family vacations with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Both times, we rented a huge beach house for the week–so much fun!

May 2, 2013, 12:45 pm

Looks like so much fun! That beach looks amazing! Yikes on the cab! Normally I drive to races so I don’t have that issue.

May 2, 2013, 12:47 pm

i think you need to stay in FL and I come visit you or move there, deal? TOO FUN!

May 2, 2013, 12:54 pm

Im so glad you had a great time! Looks fabulous! Ive always wanted to go to myrtle beach!

May 2, 2013, 1:36 pm

So gorgeous! I’ve never been to Myrtle Beach either, but looks stunning! Can’t wait to hear about the race – I’ve wanted to check out the Divas series for awhile!

May 2, 2013, 1:39 pm

Love the pics and weekend recap!! We did have a blast overall, so glad we got to do this!! Looking foward to some more “mini” race-cations coming up! 😉 xoxo

May 2, 2013, 1:53 pm

It looked like a fun weekend despite the few minor hiccups. I always forget how expensive taxis are. They were so freaking expensive in San Francisco. Yikes. Spent a couple hundred dollars just on taxi fare. I love Ali- she lives in Spokane. We totally used to workout together at the same fitness club. 🙂

May 2, 2013, 4:46 pm

Definitely was, also in NYC taxis are expected – should have rented a car oh well. That’s cool you can probably run into Ali!

May 2, 2013, 2:19 pm

I wish I had friends that run so that we can have an excuse to go on vacation…or runcation!

May 2, 2013, 3:09 pm

I love love girl weekends! What fun! 🙂

May 2, 2013, 4:18 pm

Myrtle Beach looks amazing! Cold Atlantic coast water sucks though. Sounds like an awesome weekend!

May 2, 2013, 4:27 pm

I don’t always rent a car. Depends on the place and where else I’ll be going – places like San Francisco are best seen by foot/trolley so no car needed – I don’t think I’m renting in D.C either. We are flying into DCA and staying only 4 miles away at Key Bridge Marriott which is right on the metro line! MB looks like such a nice quiet area – great for a relaxing or pampering trip.

May 2, 2013, 4:51 pm

Great recap! I love Myrtle Beach. I don’t usually rent a car, I try to stay near everything so I just walk.

May 2, 2013, 5:11 pm

Thanks Natalie! We just wanted to see some other things that were a few miles away and with a race I didn’t want to chance it 😉

May 2, 2013, 5:08 pm

I was close to you (in Florence, SC) that weekend. I guess it was only about an hour away. A native South Carolinian steered us away from Myrtle Beach, but looking at your photos, it looks gorgeous! Sounds like a great girls’ running weekend!

May 2, 2013, 5:12 pm

Yea it kind of made me appreciate our Florida beaches way more (hello, St pete Beach!) but it was a nice quiet beach with good sand and stuff to do and eat!

May 2, 2013, 5:49 pm

Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun! There’s a Diva race in the NY area and I’ve never made it to one yet!

May 2, 2013, 7:12 pm

Yes, girls weekends ARE the best! I look forward to a couple down in Cape Cod with my girlfriends this summer. I’ve never been to Myrtle Beach but I heard its beautiful. I can only imagine how cold the water is right now though! Brr.

May 2, 2013, 8:12 pm

It looks like you guys had fun. Over here in NC we usually go to the outer banks for girl weekends. I used to live in Charleston just south of Myrtle Beach.

May 3, 2013, 12:56 am

I love travel races because it is so fun to check out a new city. And to use the race as an excuse to eat great food;)

May 3, 2013, 2:39 am

How fun! We will rent a car if we have too…otherwise, we enjoy walking everywhere! 🙂

May 3, 2013, 11:09 am

Hoooooooray for a girl’s weekend! Glad y’all had such a fun time. Sorry about the hotel being buggers… Not cool. Especially if they were the host hotel.

May 3, 2013, 8:54 pm

That looks absolutely gorgeous! I am completely jealous! I hope you really enjoyed it.

May 21, 2013, 10:04 am

Ugh. Grooaaaan. Not to be jealous or anything, but I look at your pics and think “wait I was working!” I need a beach vacay NOW. 🙂 Glad you had a good time though. 🙂