It’s Run @ Work Day

TGIF – It’s Happy Friday time!

The Road Runners Club of America is promoting today as the 8th Annual Run @ Work Day!

Why?

The goal of RUN@WORK Day, presented by the Road Runners Club of America, is to encourage adults to get 30-minutes of exercise each day, in accordance with the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, either before work, during lunch, or immediately following work. RUN@WORK Day also encourages companies to help employees schedule time for physical activity. Incorporating exercise into one’s daily routine can markedly improve one’s overall physical health.

Now, usually Fridays are my Off day – ahhhhhh…. BUT yesterday I ended running over a construction tie at 5 something in the morning on my way to meet Kris to run & cut 8 miles to 6 – figured I could celebrate Run @ Work Day AND finish up today πŸ˜‰
We all have our own (or will one day πŸ˜‰ love affair with running…

It takes a while to work up to #RunHappy moments for sure!

But after some practice and mental strength building, it becomes second nature!

On Run @ Work Day I think back to ‘my roots’ with running. When I used to run on my lunch break just to get a break during the day from the cubicle life. Luckily, at my office we have a semi-walking/running track around a lake in the back of the parking lot.

Three loops around it makes a mile. So, I would start out with one mile, then gradually built up to 2 and 3…I even had my 5k PR during a work function fun run with G pacing me – 24:30 – I owe it to it being freezing cold outside (ah, I miss the cold!) So, running here means a lot to me!

So, that’s where we take our Run @ Work 5k today. Our office (yup, we technically work together) gym is having a contest, too, for prizes and encouraged everyone to run a 5k or walk a mile. Even after thinking about it, we both hadn’t run here together in quite some time. Since G’s been back to running we either stay by our house or in the gym, and our lunch breaks never sync up. We figured we’d enjoy some time back at the place where we started to love running – together too!

Three cheers for Run @ Work day!

Brooks even did a cute post on 5 ways to celebrate Run @ Work day HERE!

Are you joining in today? If it’s in your schedule πŸ˜‰
Do you Run @ Work?

ο»Ώ

September 20, 2013, 10:59 am

Yay For RAW! Since I’m part SAHM and part skating coach, I guess I could say I will ‘run at work’ today. Ha!

September 20, 2013, 11:35 am

I totally missed the memo about it being Run @ Work Day, but then I’m a SAHM so my job is here with the kids. So, I’ll make a plan to run with my kids when they get home from school this evening. πŸ™‚ I’ll go back to my roots too by running the very first 3.1 mile run I ran all those years ago, but today I’ll run with my kids. πŸ™‚

September 20, 2013, 11:39 am

You’ve got a great loop! Working from home doesn’t change things too much for me. And it’s my rest day too… so I guess I”m not participating. Next time!

September 20, 2013, 11:39 am

Enjoy your RAW with G. So fun you can run together and during a work day!

September 20, 2013, 12:53 pm

How awesome!!! I’ll be running at work chasing 3 year olds lol! Yeah I know..not the same! πŸ˜‰ But it’s my rest day today..and my hip is hurting so it’s best for me not to participate. Have fun!

September 20, 2013, 1:11 pm

I will be running after work πŸ™‚

September 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

I ran this morning. I love to run midday though when the weather cools down. Such a great way to break up the day and enjoy fresh air. Loved reading about going back to your roots of running.

September 20, 2013, 1:46 pm

Woohoo for Run at Work Day! I’m coleading a group run later this afternoon–it sound be fun!

September 20, 2013, 5:47 pm

Today is usually a rest day but I’ll run because I need the mental break.

September 20, 2013, 6:06 pm

I ran today!! WooHoo! Had no idea it was run at work day, and since I spend a lot of time at CrossFit, only seems fitting that I ran there πŸ™‚

September 20, 2013, 11:38 pm

Sorry I just got to this! πŸ˜‰

September 20, 2013, 11:40 pm

It’s a rest day for me but even so it would be so freaking hard for me to run at work. Although I do spend a lot of my days running around like a chicken with its head cut off! πŸ˜‰

September 21, 2013, 3:07 am

Ohhh…. those shoes would make me #runhappy Love it! I can’t run at work bc I am a teacher! But I love that you did!

September 21, 2013, 1:21 pm

Kat, I want to thank you for your inspiration in my running journey. I was recently nominated for the Shine On Award, and this morning nominated you.

September 22, 2013, 4:55 pm

I wish I had known about this event sooner! I totally could have made it happen. I only found out about it yesterday. Maybe next year!