Races in Costume are more fun with Sparkle Athletic

Many times, races are meant to be ran for a personal best or, for some, to win in age groups and overall! Often times, we can get caught up in the competition of races. Yet, for other times we can have that much more FUN by treating it as a costume party simultaneously!
I’ve dressed up for a few races now and talked HERE about how I love to play dress up and why! There’s nothing funner than getting cheered on by spectators and feeling confident in costume!

Here’s the rundown on the two costumes I wore for the Dumbo Double Dare race weekend and how Sparkle Athletic helped me FLUTTER THROUGH DISNEY!

Disneyland 10k: Dumbo

Shirt: Brooks Glycerin Print Support Tank I
Shorts: Brooks Infinity Short Tight II
Hat: Dumbo Mickey Ears (from Disney Parks)

I knew that a felt Mickey hat might not be the best for a hot half marathon, so decided to be Dumbo for the 10k. As always, the Sparkle Athletic skirt fit perfectly over my favorite Brooks shorts, allowing me to run like normal while having some DAZZLE!

Disneyland Half Marathon: Mike Wazowski (Monsters, Inc.)

Shirt: Champion Running Shirt
(Cut out felt and hot glued together before lightly sewing onto shirt)
Shorts: Brooks Infinity Short Tight II
(Cut felt out for Monsters Inc. logo and lightly sewed on)

I went online to find a cute Mike Wazowski expression and used craft felt, cutting out shapes for each color needed. I then lightly sewed the face onto a running shirt I already owned – luckily for the color matched perfectly.

* Sparkle Athletic provided me with the Sparkle accessories used in my Mike Wazowski outfit. I’ve previously purchased the red skirt and others used in other outfits on my own. I did review the visor, a new item to me, in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.

I have loved Sparkle Athletic skirts since I got my first one back when I ran the Holiday Halfathon last year. They’re so comfy and fit right over your race bottom of choice – so you can wear what you know! Also, the 3 ladies who run Sparkle Athletic (Kelly, Elise, and Carrie) do it from the heart – they believe you should do what you love looking fabulous and be comfortable too!

L to R: Elise, Carrie, Pavement Runner, Kelly & I at the Disneyland Half finish

The skirts come in 12 COLORS, 6 PATTERNS, and ALL sizes! Visors come in 10 different styles to choose from as well!

I’m pretty beat after 6 miles yesterday and 15 this morning, but it’s ALL worth it to celebrate with a good friend at her bachelorette this weekend – DRINK ALL THE DRINKS! 😉

Happy Friday everyone!

Here are my other Disneyland Racecation Recaps in case you missed them!

Do you run in costume? Why? Plan on it?
What costume ideas do you have floating around?

September 13, 2013, 2:01 pm

Loved your costumes for the DL races. You always put together something really cute!

September 13, 2013, 2:10 pm

I have yet to run in costume, but my first Disney race will be this November. I’m debating whether I should or not. I have a feeling if I don’t, I’m going to regret it.

September 13, 2013, 2:58 pm

I love all the costumes you and the gang had on! Looks like so much fun! 🙂 I’ve never dressed up for a race before but I think whenever my first Disney race ends up being I’ll definitely dress up. Why wouldn’t you!?!? haha!

September 13, 2013, 3:37 pm

Oh my goodness, I just had a conversation last week where I said I wanted to run a Disney so I could justify being over 40 & wearing a tutu in public lol The thought of embracing my inner kid & staying fit is a great combination. How cute you all look too.

September 13, 2013, 3:44 pm

I absolutely LOVED all your costumes for the Disney races. They were so cute and so creative. I have to admit – you make me want to get a sparkle skirt.

September 13, 2013, 4:47 pm

SO CUTE!! I love love love the sparkle skirt! You can never have enough sparkles

September 13, 2013, 5:05 pm

You are adorable and I love your costumes!!

September 13, 2013, 5:22 pm

I’d go just for the outfits alone! You guys are too cute!

September 13, 2013, 5:51 pm

I’m trying to plan out my Disney costume…think I’m going to be Minnie Mouse

September 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

I love your costumes — so creative! I ran in costume twice — once in Manchester Road Race in CT as a Christmas elf (because that race is known for people running in costume) and this year a St. Patrick’s Day race with green wig and all sorts of Irish-themed paraphernalia (my husband was totally embarrassed) — a photo of my son and me ended up in the local paper ha ha AND I won an age group award….in costume. Thinking I might want to dress in costume more often…..

September 13, 2013, 8:33 pm

Loved meeting you! Thanks for the awesome recap. Your costumes turned out great!

September 14, 2013, 1:54 am

You are a lifesaver! I was wondering which glue to use on a Sparkle Athletic visor. Hot glue gun of course.
    Thank you.

September 14, 2013, 8:51 pm

I ran in a banana suit lol

Love the skirt! I would totally wear a sparkly outfit!

September 14, 2013, 11:43 pm

LOVE your costumes Kat! You’re always so cute!!!

September 15, 2013, 12:33 pm

Girl, I am almost 50! I am lucky I am still running out there – I’d look ridiculous in a costume! They are for the young and adorable – like yourself!

September 20, 2013, 4:04 pm

I heart Sparkle Athletic skirts! I’ve been running in them for years.

July 28, 2016, 9:22 pm

What Disney park did you get the Dumbo mickey ears? I’m in search of Dumbo theme items and I’m having a hard time find them. My 10 month old loves him and they isn’t much out there. I plan to do her 1st birthday in Dumbo and would love to find those ears.